This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• you did NOT just ask me that...

This happened...probably back in late 2012. It is NOT the dumbest question I've ever been asked. It IS the most insensitive question I've ever been asked.

Couple (early retirement age) walks up and asks me some normal questions about a tourist attraction several hundred miles away. I tell him where it is, that it's on a reservation and requires such-and-such entry fee, etc. He's about to leave when suddenly he gets this look on his face like he's just thought of the funniest thing to say. Of course with as long as I've worked in customer service I was just...uh...quivering in anticipation. We'll go with that.

"So, do you guys ever get attacked by indians?"

I managed a strangled "Uh, no...sir...", completely failed a sarcastic check of the calendar ("wait, did I go back in time to when this lodge was built? Because a few minutes ago it was 2012!"), and he left giggling at his own racism and ignorance.

Later I told my then-coworker, who is native, about him and said "I kind of wish you'd been here so you could tell him exactly how stupid he was." I mean, seriously?
    "Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages." - Terry Pratchett
    Emissary of Minong - my blog and its Facebook page

"Why, yes. All the time. In fact, we had to put that alarm in..." *points at fire alarm* "...to warn guests of an impending attack. If you ever hear that go off, lock yourself in your bathroom and don't come out until a staff member comes to get you."
    (at this point, the co-conspirator sets off the alarm...)
    Random Doctor Who quote:
    "I'm sorry about your coccyx, too, Miss Grant."

I has a gallery: deviantART gallery.
    I also has a "funny" blog: Aqu Improves Her Craft

Comment

"I don't know about Indians attacking, but there is this tribe of racist morons who keep trying to stupid us down to their level. The only way to prevent their attack is to use small words and speak slowly." At this point start using smaller words and speaking slowly.

Racist moron is racist.. and moronic.
      If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Had a tourist once ask me -at work mind you- where we kept our Injuns.
        Not "Where's the Micmac interpretation center?", not "Where's the Native american place?" at LEAST.

Nope, where do we keep our Injuns.

I simply brought my hand to my mouth and went "Woo woo woo woo woo."

Catbutt face.

"This is about as Injun as you're gonna get lady. I'm part Huron, part Iroquois."

I'm white as a ghost, thanx Irish genes!
        Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

A more common than it should be question asked during the 2002 Salt Lake Olympics was "Where do I go to see Mormons?"
          When told that there are Mormons all around them, they would get a confused or a shocked look. "But they look so normal..."

Comment

Quoth Arcus View Post
            "Where do I go to see Mormons?"
            Like they're in a damn zoo. Wow.
            "Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages." - Terry Pratchett

Comment

Quoth Dentarthurdent View Post
              Like they're in a damn zoo. Wow.
              I'm an animal... here to blow your mind
              I'm an animal... of the Mormon kind

(with apologies to Eric Burdon)
              Last edited by dalesys; 07-13-2013, 11:18 PM.
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Idiot: "Where can I go find one of those old-timey gas stations where the old men sit around pickin' and grinnin'?"

Me: "Congratulations, sir. That is perhaps the most insulting question I've ever been asked, and the answer is nowhere because it's the 21st Century here also, although you may have some luck if you can find a station playing "The Andy Griffith Show.""
                Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Quoth Shironu-Akaineko View Post
                  I simply brought my hand to my mouth and went "Woo woo woo woo woo."

Catbutt face.
                  You... You're my new hero...
                  Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

"Why, yes sir. In fact, we were invaded by a tour bus from Delhi just yesterday."
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                      "Why, yes sir. In fact, we were invaded by a tour bus from Delhi just yesterday."
                      IIII...wish I had thought of that...

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                        And they were shouting about how the workers must control the means of production, so they were definitely Red indians.
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Antisocial_Worker View Post
                          Idiot: "Where can I go find one of those old-timey gas stations where the old men sit around pickin' and grinnin'?"

Me: "Congratulations, sir. That is perhaps the most insulting question I've ever been asked, and the answer is nowhere because it's the 21st Century here also, although you may have some luck if you can find a station playing "The Andy Griffith Show.""
                          Remember what state we're in . . . Andy Griffith still airs on the weekdays . . . just now at 3:30 pm instead of 5:30 (if you get Channel 2 your way, that is.)

And there's always TV Land. Lot of the 60's shows have made it there, too.
                          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

IIII...wish I had thought of that...
                            Well, if you ever have the misfortune to be asked it again, you now have the reply.

Though I think wolfie's addition is lovely. Or you could replace it with a Republican quote - that's also Red.
                            Seshat's self-help guide:
                            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Antisocial_Worker View Post

Webster's Hardware down the road a bit.... why yes I do live down the road from the actual Mayberry.

Comment

Working...
                              X