This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Arcus View Post
    A more common than it should be question asked during the 2002 Salt Lake Olympics was "Where do I go to see Mormons?"
    When told that there are Mormons all around them, they would get a confused or a shocked look. "But they look so normal..."
    What did people expect Mormons to look like? A bunch of Amish people and whatnot? I am a "Mormon" myself, which are really "Latter-Day Saints" in the present time. I go around wearing jeans and a regular T-shirt just like everyone else. Does that surprise everyone?
    I'm glad Salt Lake got their crack at hosting an Olympics event(I'm just sorry that our high schools didn't let us see the events on TV in the daytime hours for this once-in-a-lifetime event for our local area)but the city sure does attract weirdos who think that Mormons are some zoo exhibit to be gawked at and they're disappointed to find out that there's not much to be surprised about, except the fact that we look so NORMAL.

Comment

Quoth Indigo View Post
      Webster's Hardware down the road a bit.... why yes I do live down the road from the actual Mayberry.
      My oldest son was born in Mt. Airy.
      At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth downforit2008 View Post
        What did people expect Mormons to look like?
        The Osmonds?

Comment

Quoth downforit2008 View Post
          What did people expect Mormons to look like?
          My guess - and it's only a guess - is men in white shirts, ties, black dress pants, black dress shoes, clutching a Book or Mormon in one hand and recruiting pamphlets in the other.
          I don't know what they'd imagine Mormon women to look like. Possibly Stepford Wives (wearing, of course, Temple Garments under their floral print dresses).

Stereotype-believing tourist is looking for stereotype.

It happens in online games, as well. In one game I play, I'm the Token Australian in my 'clan', another woman has the misfortune to be the Token Romanian.
          I suspect the 'do you drink ... wine?' is more annoying than 'g'day, mate'.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Heh reminds me of the client who wanted to go to an all inclusive resort in Jamaica who was worried that there would be a lot of black people there... I told him his best bet was to stay home...

Comment

Oh my gosh, this thread makes me laugh!! Reminds me a little bit of when I was on a committee at work in charge of organizing themed award ceremonies. We were discussing a possible international theme, and how we might each bring something having to do with our cultural heritage. One of the committee members had dark skin and dark hair, but no accent and a name none of us could place. Finally someone asked him where he was from. He grinned like the cat that swallowed the canary and said, "Canada!"

Quoth Seshat View Post
              "Why, yes sir. In fact, we were invaded by a tour bus from Delhi just yesterday."
              I really do have my dad's corny sense of humor, because my first thought upon reading this was, "That'd be one helluva bus ride!" (We need a facepalm emoticon.)
              "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth thatcrazyredhead View Post
                (We need a facepalm emoticon.)
                You mean this one?
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Yup, that's the one! I swear that wasn't there two hours ago.
                  "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Skarredmind View Post
                    Heh reminds me of the client who wanted to go to an all inclusive resort in Jamaica who was worried that there would be a lot of black people there...
                    The ignorance of some people is just downright painful.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Another answer to the question "Did you ever get attacked by Indians?" -

"A couple years ago, I almost got run off the road by a guy driving a Cherokee".
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth siskaren View Post
                        The Osmonds?
                        missionaries? (white shirts and bikes)

Comment

The longer this thread gets, the more it makes me giggle.
                          "Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages." - Terry Pratchett
                          Emissary of Minong - my blog and its Facebook page

Comment

Quoth Skarredmind View Post
                            Heh reminds me of the client who wanted to go to an all inclusive resort in Jamaica who was worried that there would be a lot of black people there...
                            Black people? In Jamaica? Whatever would have given him that idea?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                            Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                              Black people? In Jamaica? Whatever would have given him that idea?
                              At that exclusive resort, they're just white people that stayed out in the sun way too long.
                              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                                My guess - and it's only a guess - is men in white shirts, ties, black dress pants, black dress shoes, clutching a Book or Mormon in one hand and recruiting pamphlets in the other.
                                It's interesting you provide that description because I went to the Golden Arches in the city (Melbourne) several months ago and saw four young men dressed exactly like that. Two were Asian, two were Caucasian and they were speaking in an Asian language I didn't understand. But yes, they had a Book of Mormon on the table and were (I suspect) translating or discussing paragraphs out of it. Made me smile a bit because it was the complete and utter stereotype and they were getting plenty of sideways glances from people.
                                "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Working...
                                X