Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know it's late, but I've got a big truck!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Already posted that, repsac, post number 25.

It is a pity he doesn't have as much new stuff anymore.
    I think, therefore I am. But I am micromanaged, therefore I am not.

Comment

Thanks for the elome replies. Alas, no camera footage exist of this idiocy, since the owners of the plaza are cheap-os, and our own footage was written over, and the event barely visible anyway. I wish I had some, because as funny as this whole deal was, it was even finnuer being there.
      O God, thy sky is so vast and my plane is so small.

Comment

Wouldn't even need to see it clearly (Although the ding would be awesome).. just hearing the noise of an engine destroying itself... perfection
        I've been here for two years, work harder than most others, and I'm getting paid $1.80 an hour
        less than the 17 year old slacker you hired two months ago. Maybe that's why I'm not chipper at work.

Comment

Quoth Mark Healey View Post
          Ok, I've seen the Blues Brothers and Know that throwing a rod is a bad thing but what is it exactly? The expression implies that a piston rod somehow got detached from the crankshaft and flew out of the engine. For that to happen it would have to go through the piston and cylander head or push the piston through the cylender head. Can that happen?
          That's exactly what it is, it's more common for the rod to make an exit out the bottom through the oil pan, but when you hand-grenade a motor like that, all the pent-up energy has to go somewhere, and it's possible for the rod to try and escape out the top

I worked on a blown Porsche motor once that had a chunk of rod make it though the top of the intake manifold (the highest part of the engine block) but didn't get the hood.
          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

That's not so much redneck as it is white trash. When you grow up right in the middle of them all, you learn the small differences between redneck, trailer trash, white trash, and other dregs of humanity. Rednecks will actually CARE for their vehicles to some extent.

Yeah, my ex had a rig like that (AFTER we broke up), sans 2x4s and duct tape....his window sticker said "Show your tits, win a balloon" though. You would not believe how many girls actually showed their boobs. Or course, they were the kind of girls that whipping them out like that was the only way they'd ever get anyone to look at them. /gag

And a properly done General Lee IS a chick magnet (though not that particular color scheme, and with working doors). I know I get all tingly when I can tell that a guy knows what he's doing to an old car, you hear that deep down rumble in perfect rythmn.....and you can look under the hood and there's no duct tape, bailing twine, bungee cords, or tin pie plates.

And since I'm thinking about it, a fun people identifier (appropriate for my area especially) is www.mulletsgalore.com.

Gawd, a DIXIE horn? What a maroon. Everyone knows La Cucaracha is where its at.
            ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

Quoth South Texan View Post
              RE: A horn blaring Dixie
              I thought it had to be accompanied by a Playboy bunny window decal and a bumper sticker saying something macho like "No Fat Chicks" to be given chick magnet status.
              This reminds me of the disgustingly huge customized truck I saw at the grocery store last year. On the pristine canary yellow finish of the back of the cab there was a massive decal that said in LARGE PROUD LETTERS:

"There's nothing better than getting blown."

I'm not kidding. Really, I could not make that up if I tried. I think I died a bit that day.
              But I don't need a vagina. I have a pony.
              -Gravekeeper

Comment

Hahaha! Freakin awesome! Oh man, blowing a rod and falling face first onto the pavement. Nice! Everyone in the student commons is looking at me strangely now. Must .... stop...... laughing.....!
                The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Quoth Max View Post
                  This reminds me of the disgustingly huge customized truck I saw at the grocery store last year. On the pristine canary yellow finish of the back of the cab there was a massive decal that said in LARGE PROUD LETTERS:

"There's nothing better than getting blown."

I'm not kidding. Really, I could not make that up if I tried. I think I died a bit that day.
                  I'll field that one, in gearhead slang "Blown" means a vehicle is running forced induction (a turbo or supercharger) not nessicarrily the gutter-kind of blown.... at least that's what I HOPE this guy was trying to say.....
                  - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth jb17kx View Post
                    The following sites are quite good for illustrating that:
                    The first shows the inside of an SDP40F - can you imagine being in there while the engine is running?
                    I've been inside a few Amtrak F40s, an Alco FPA4s, FL9, and on various hood units...but never inside an E unit--imagine being in there with both engines going?

I don't think it was so much as EMD's maintenance requirements...but that GE's were seen as being more fuel-efficient. I've heard horror stories about GE's being junk in their later years, but I don't know if that's just biased EMD fans or what.

(Right now about 99.9% of the board is thinking "WTF are they talking about?")

Getting back on topic, around here, most "country folks" take care of their vehicles--since towns (and gas stations) are miles apart, it sucks to break down on a back road. The trashy types do not--these are the folks who will attempt to 'race' anything that moves...usually causing an accident, or destroying their vehicle in some way.
                    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I was waiting for the part where he hit the gas and came through the front door.

Your version was MUCH funnier!!
                      Teach a SC to fish... and they will whine about you not catching, filleting, frying, and serving it up on a silver platter for them. - EvilEmpryss

Comment

Quoth OfficeSlug View Post
                        I was waiting for the part where he hit the gas and came through the front door.
                        Same here. I was thinking there would be a tragic ending, not a funny one.

BTW, I love the 350z self destruction. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZTSmF9zt_Q poor car
                        Bears are bad. If an animal is going to be mean it should look so, like sharks and alligators. - Mark Healey

Comment

Quoth zzapp the witch View Post

And since I'm thinking about it, a fun people identifier (appropriate for my area especially) is www.mulletsgalore.com.
                          Funny site! Thanks for the link.

My dear hubby had a mullet back in the day. I was looking through some photo albums filled with pictures taken before we met, and I made the idle comment of "Wow, that hairstyle really takes me back..." and then I felt like a heel because I realized the pictures weren't that old.

He was a programmer in his last job, and in a VERY casual work environment, so he was free to grow what he called his "rockstar" hair.
                          He loves the world...except for all the people.
                          --Men at Work

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                            I've been inside a few Amtrak F40s, an Alco FPA4s, FL9, and on various hood units...but never inside an E unit--imagine being in there with both engines going?
                            I hate you and I hope you get ass cancer and die.

No thanks, I want to be able to hear properly in 5 years.

I don't think it was so much as EMD's maintenance requirements...but that GE's were seen as being more fuel-efficient. I've heard horror stories about GE's being junk in their later years, but I don't know if that's just biased EMD fans or what.
                            Late model (dash 8 and newer) GE's often have turbo issues later on. This is particularly obvious when a locomotive passes by with flames spewing out the top - deposits in the exhaust being burnt.

(Right now about 99.9% of the board is thinking "WTF are they talking about?")
                            That few?

I will tell you an aural experience though - standing on the running board next to an Alco 6-251B running at notch 8 up a steep hill. Bliss.
                            Last edited by Ree; 05-05-2007, 11:29 AM. Reason: Fixing quote tags
                            I think, therefore I am. But I am micromanaged, therefore I am not.

Comment

Quoth jb17kx View Post
                              I hate you and I hope you get ass cancer and die.
                              ;
                              Oh fine, be that way All of those engines just happened to be sitting around, mainly in the shops, during some of the past PCRRHS convention tours. None were running, otherwise we wouldn't have been allowed in them. Highlight of the 2002 tour was helping to crank over a former NH/PC/CR/ FL9 on the "Naugy." One of our members is an Amtrak engineer...and he couldn't resist opening it up

Several years ago, I got lucky, and was allowed to run a local museum's little Plymouth narrow-gauge switcher. It was like driving a big truck--the main brakes were controlled with a foot pedal, but it had a handbrake as well. The throttle was where the gearshift would have been.
                              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

The worst day I ever had railfanning came when an old Uboat...(least I think it was) belched a ton of black stuff my way. One moment, I'm standing on this old bridge taking nice pictures, the next I'm surrounded in a diesel smelling black fog. It took forever to wash that junk out of my hair.
                                Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

Working...
                                X