This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some people are unbelievable

I live in South Florida, and Tropical Storm Chris (could become a hurricane by tomorrow) is forecasted to sweep through my area sometime during Sunday evening/night.

Because of this, we have already created signs telling our customers that it is a possibility that we may either:

A. Close early on Sunday
    B. Remain closed on Sunday
    C. Possibly remain closed on Monday

You would not BELIEVE the number of calls we're getting to corporate about people complaining about this.

"Caller stated that a sign posted on the door warned of possible closures due to tropical storm. Customer stated this is a very bad business practice."

That is actually a report to corporate faxed to us by the District Manager. There are several call reports similar to it.

Some people are so ridiculous. They must really do think that we are robots that must remain open to serve them, even if there is a hurricane is coming our way.
    [sarcasm]We must be some battery-operated machines that will keep working even if the roof of the place collapses on us. When we're not needed, you just take out our batteries and store us in the closet. If we're injured on the job and can't work...well, that's what insurance is for![/sarcasm]

Sad to think that some people can't go without fast food without blowing a fuse over it.

It just ticks me off so much that some people couldn't give a darn that we, as employees, have families of our own and LIVES of our own. Even if it is Christmas, Thanksgiving, New Years, a hurricane is coming, or THE END OF THE WORLD, some people out there will STILL expect us to be there in uniform, smiling and readily eager to serve them.

Anyone have any stories of people getting ticked off when you close for special circumstances?

Is corporate sticking up for you guys, or siding with the customers? Just curious.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Corporate is definitely siding with us. It's just required for the DM to fax over each and every report made about our store over to us to look at. We all had a good laugh over these idiotic reports.

Comment

OK. Good to know. You guys should save all of them in a binder to show off at a later date.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

This isn't an issue of closing a store, but I think it's applicable...

On 9/12/01 we were supposed to receive our bi-weekly payroll delivery from corporate office (in PA). Guess what happened to foul that one up?

As the payroll lackey, it was my job to tell the employees who hadn't, for whatever reason (and despite everything short of threats of violence on my part), enrolled in direct deposit that, no, they would have to wait to get their paychecks until such time as the FAA saw fit to lift the no-fly order. If ever there was a situation that was out of everyone's hands, this was it.

I was told that I would "have to" pay bills, late fees and overdraft charges for people because I "wouldn't let" them have their money.

I was told that complaints would be made about me to anyone and everyone who could possibly get me into trouble and/or fired.

I was told that my arrest was imminent because I was "stealing" money.

I had people crying, screaming, pounding furniture, and outraged relatives calling me names over the phone.

I was told to "watch out" when leaving work that day.

After a little while of this I literally started telling people to pull their heads out of their arses and come to grips with what happened. It was easily the worst day of my working life.
          Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

Are you serious?? People are so blind that they expect you to open during a hurricane? Who the heck is gonna be eating fast food during a hurricane? Some people have no compassion . . .
            This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Quoth FastFoodFlunky
              "Caller stated that a sign posted on the door warned of possible closures due to tropical storm. Customer stated this is a very bad business practice."
              "You know what, honey? Because of this hurricane, it's too windy to barbeque anything. Wanna go and grab a Whopper instead?"

Who are this people?!?
              I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Quoth Spiffy McMoron
                Who are this people?!?
                See the Vitamin Grades thread. (I tried and failed to create a link, not sure why it does not create a link, just the HTML for it written out)
                Last edited by skeptic53; 08-02-2006, 10:55 PM.
                Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
                TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

Comment

he he, I would have to say I'm one of those people Spiffy. I don't pack up and leave town because of a little wind

However, I don't also expect anyone else to share in my bravery (or stupidity depending on your POV)
                  I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Quoth FastFoodFlunky
                    Corporate is definitely siding with us. It's just required for the DM to fax over each and every report made about our store over to us to look at. We all had a good laugh over these idiotic reports.
                    Quoth BeckySunshine
                    OK. Good to know. You guys should save all of them in a binder to show off at a later date.
                    Hell, show them off on the walls as a testament to how much people want to eat there!
                    I second that Frederick Douglass quote--unfortunately, so do a lot of SCs.

Comment

Quoth FastFoodFlunky

Ahem:

"Dear Customer,

While you may find that posting that one of our locations stating they may not be open during a natural disaster is bad buisness practice, we find that forcing them to risk their lives to serve you in said disaster results in two occurances:

1.) The employee fails to live a sa result of said disaster and is unable to work.
                      2.) The employee quits due to being forced to work in a hazardous situation.

Since both of these will result in a very large lawsuit with our company, we feel it best to simply say 'screw you. If you are that desperate for your food, cook it yourself.'

With all due respect

Corporate"

You like?
                      I AM the evil bastard!
                      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth PuckishOne
                        I was told that I would "have to" pay bills, late fees and overdraft charges for people because I "wouldn't let" them have their money.

I was told that complaints would be made about me to anyone and everyone who could possibly get me into trouble and/or fired.

I was told that my arrest was imminent because I was "stealing" money.

I had people crying, screaming, pounding furniture, and outraged relatives calling me names over the phone.

I was told to "watch out" when leaving work that day.
                        I hope you didnt take that lying down, Id be recording every threat and taking it to HR, how dare people treat you like that !

Is it YOUR problem that some people live paycheque to paycheque... nope, is it your problem that they cant get with the 21st century and have a direct deposit set up... nope.

After behaving like that they deserve to get no money!
                        I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Well it wasn't a hurricane, but I've been yelled at when I couldn't fix a computer during that massive power outage that took out the entire north-east US. We didn't have power, the city didn't have power, the county didn't have power, THE STATE didn't have @#$%ing power and yey it was my fault I couldn't diagnose and remove the viruses in his computer.
                          I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Well I just don't get what idiot wants to go grocery shopping during a hurricane? It's Wednesday, how hard could it be for them to stock up uh... now?

Comment

I wasn't at work when it happened, but the power went out there other day because of one of our wonderful thunderstorms. People couldn't figure out why we closed! Maybe because we can't check in/out video, look up accounts, various other things. Oh, and don't forget, it's pitch black inside the store! Do you expect us to supply you with flashlights so you can shop?! Oy vey!

Then there was the woman that I got when I was at the Victoria's Secret Catalogue call center. Apparently, she needed this bra so badly that she was calling us instead of evacuating for a hurricane! It was one of those that went up the East Coast and was aiming at NYC, which is where she was. Who needs a bra that bad?

My best (or is that worst?) one happened on 9/11. I was working at Dillard's, went in at noon that day. (Dillard's is at one end of the mall, but Dillard's owns their building and can do whatever regardless of what the mall does.) Well, the rest of the mall closed, we stayed open until 6pm, had maybe two customers the whole time. The second one was mind-numbing. This guy just had to have some shower curtain rings (worked in homelines). He asked why the rest of the mall was closed, was it a holiday? I told him it was because of what had happened on the East Coast that morning. Here is his actual question - "What happened this morning?" I then had to break it to him that the WTC was gone and the Pentagon was on fire! (Not to mention the bomb threat at the state capitol) Seriously, how big was the rock he was under?
                              It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Working...
                              X