This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb or Dumber? Mac or PC users?

Remember, there are nearly 10 times as many PCs in the world as Macs, so there are, logically, 10 times as many PC-using SCs as Mac SCs. But what's your opinion?

I'm asking because, this morning, as I walked to my office, I passed the huge Apple store on the next block. This is at around 9:20 in the morning. The store opens at 10:00 a.m., the usual time for most stores that aren't WM, Tarzhay, etc.

Every morning, when I pass the store, someone attempts to enter. Yes, there are people in the store getting ready for the day, and the lights are on. But, they will keep pulling on the locked door, at least three to four times, before looking at the hours posted on the door. Also, I've noticed that these same people tend to walk past other people on the street without noticing anything going on (tunnel vision), ignore red lights to cross the street (and the cops here will write tickets for that), etc.

This seems to occur every morning I walk past this store.
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

I've found that PC customers are dumber, but MAC customers are suckier. Whenever someone would bring in a MAC for repair, they'd hit the roof when it came to the bill. MAC repairs almost always cost more than PC repairs, due to parts.
    Example, a Dell Lattitude Laptop with a dead screen we could replace for $100 used, or $200 or so new (this was a few years ago). I had one SC bring in his MAC laptop in for repair (I think it was a powerbook). The screen had a big dent and crack in it. We called around looking for parts, checked online, the cheapest replacement we could fint was $425. With labor included, he could have bought a whole new laptop.
    It was a great time talking to him about the bill. And EVERY MAC customer we had always argued about the bill. At least in my experience.

Comment

Perhaps these people are just trying to get away from PC's?

I think PC users are actually more dumb because I've heard of people say all the weird things like..............

"Where's the start button?"
      "Where is the <enter> key?"
      "Where is the space bar?"

There are many more horror stories about PC users than Mac users, because for the most part, Mac users are more savvy about their machines. Oh dear me, I may have jinxed it for just saying that. Now all the Mac users brains will shrivel by 50 IQ points.

Guess it levels the playing field some.....
      Who is this rectal-cranial inverted twit....and where is my sledgehammer??

Comment

I've found that the Mac users are smarter, but are bigger SCs. I dunno, maybe they have an inflated sense of self-worth by using a Mac.
        Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me!

I like big bots and I cannot lie.

Comment

I use a Mac, but it doesn't make me feel more worthy.
          The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Quoth ShockQueen
            There are many more horror stories about PC users than Mac users, because for the most part, Mac users are more savvy about their machines.
            I don't think it's so much that. I think it's simply because there are more PC users. With more PC users, you're simply going to have a possibility of an idiot being on a PC. Since I don't deal with Macs, I can't say much about the users
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

We used to have a Mac version of our software, but have found that keeping up with the constant changes Apple makes to the platform result in much higher development costs than sales of the Mac version justified. Apple is "disappointed" in us, but isn't interested in coughing up the dough to pay the development costs. We are equally uninterested in diverting resources from projects which make money to work on one which doesn't.

It's OK. They made a business decision and we made a business decision. It's nothing personal and someday things might change. We are optimists.

So we stopped development on the Mac and are honest with Mac customers about the reason. Most are quite understanding and will ask us for alternatives. When I suggest that they purchase a cheap PC dedicated to our software (if they really want to use it that badly), most folks accept it, even if they don't like it. However, there is a small minority whose reaction to being told to get a PC is about what you would expect if you had asked a devout Christian to worship Satan.

We also get those who argue with us. "But I guarantee you would sell hundreds of them if you made them."

Yeah. And are you willing to back that guarantee up personally and buy those hundreds of copies YOURSELF? After all, if they are going to be such a hot commodity, you should have no trouble finding buyers. Yeah. I didn't think so.

Most Mac guys are pretty cool, though. I'll suggest they call Apple and let them know how much they would like to see a Mac version of our software. Who knows, we might get Apple to cough up some money.

To be fair, all of the incredibly thick users I've posted about on this site were using the Windows version. All of them.
              The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

I use a PC at home, a Mac at work. My perception is skewed, though, since the PC has dial-up and the Mac has broadband... And that, typing, and occaisionally setting Paris on fire (I love SimCity!) is all I use a computer for myself.

But then I, working at the paper for the obits, usually have to talk a person through getting to our website, starting with the instruction of "See the round thing on the box under the desk? Press that." Eventually, we get to "start button." Which tells me that most are using PCs.

...all humans are vermin in the eyes of Mysty. (Bonus points to whoever catches that paraphrase )
                "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

It's really hard for me to say. The sheer number of Windows users compared to Mac users means that there are a larger number of ID10T Windows users total, but I'd be willing to bet the percentage of total users for both is about the same.

That being said, bear in mind that if you work in technical support (like me), users that know what they're doing usually don't need to call, so we're left with the 12:00 flashers...
                  ...don't you know the first law of physics? "Anything that's fun costs at least $8.00."
                  - Cartman

Comment

Depends in the OS 7 8 and 9 days, I would have to go with Mac hands down. Most of the people i dealt were barely able to tell me what was on the screen let alone operate it.

OS X brought a new type of user. A somewhat intelligent/misguided ones, typically they wouldn't know that they set there administrator password and locked out most of there settings.

But it seems like os x has brought the general intelligence up a notch. I still hate Apple mail with a passion! LEAVING MAIL ON SERVER BY DEFAULT IS BAD BAD BAD!

We use to have an os x machine but it died and naturally never is going to be replaced. So for the most part apple users get screwed in this respect.

Pc users run the gambit but mostly I can run them through a wizard or directly get the problem solved because i've done it in my sleep 40 billion times.

Comment

Quoth MystyGlyttyr
                      ..all humans are vermin in the eyes of Mysty. (Bonus points to whoever catches that paraphrase )
                      Umm.......Red Dwarf?

And IMHO PC = Dumber than fried shit... Mac = Sucky
                      "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

I'm need to point out here that "Mac" should not be in all caps. It either makes it seem like you're emphasizing it without a point or confusing it with a "MAC address", which should be in all caps. (Yeah, there are two tech terms there. Macintosh Computer, and MAC address).

Anyway, Macintosh computers are powerful, easy to use, and have a ton of great built-in software that really kicks ass. They work wonderfully. But Windows has a few advantages of it's own, particularly gaming. Macintosh computers are expensive to buy and repair, but you don't have to spend money on security products and you get all that great software built in.

Stupidity, however, knows no bounds. I've known PC users who can barely launch applications and Mac users who had to read the manual to turn the damn thing on. It goes both ways.

Comment

Mac are just toys. When y'all grown up, get a PC.

Back in the day there really was a big difference between Mac and "PC". (Which isn't really the right term.) Mac used the motorola 680xx series processor and PC used the intel 808x processor series. The motorola processor instructions (assembly language stuff) was better at processing graphical base data than intel was. However intel's was better suited for data processing.

Now days, the difference is Mac is a pain in the behind to write programs for because Apple still can't let "it" go. "It" meaning the internal secrets of the OS. And PC won the fight because Microsoft did let it go (with the "Visual" programing language series).

Hard core Mac users are just computer people with stock in Apple Idiots buy whatever their "friend" or "the dude" told them to. The type of computer doesn't matter. However since PC is ahead of Mac in sales. The odds is stacked on the PC side, that an idiot was told to buy that.
                          Last edited by LostMyMind; 08-04-2006, 12:46 AM.
                          I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Quoth LostMyMind
                            Now days, the difference is Mac is a pain in the behind to write programs for because Apple still can't let "it" go. "It" meaning the internal secrets of the OS. And PC won the fight because Microsoft did let it go (with the "Visual" programing language series).
                            Not to mention the fact that Apple licensed it's expansion slots, wheras Intel left the PCI slot open-use. The ability to upgrade the PC gave it a helluva boost as well.
                            Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me!

I like big bots and I cannot lie.

Comment

Quoth MystyGlyttyr
                              ...all humans are vermin in the eyes of Mysty. (Bonus points to whoever catches that paraphrase )
                              That may be the case, but all humans are puny in the eyes of Morbo!

[/Futurama]

So, uh, do you want to send me my bonus points through the mail? Or can you fax them to me?
                              I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Working...
                              X