This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make up your mind 0_o (christmas SC

Last Thursday we recieved our first shipment of Christmas catalogues and the in store radio started to play adverts about the coming Christmas range. This has produced two groups of low level SCs.

The first are the ' I heard your radio say...' These listen to everything to radio ad says about the various Christmas gifts but miss the starting and ending lines of 'See our new 2007 catalogue for ....' and 'Coming soon to this store from November' The ads are just to drum up interest in the catalogue. So all day I get:

Customer: Can you show me where < insert christmas gift > is?
    Me: I'm sorry we don't start selling the Christmas range until November. We have our gift guide here which lists all the gifts.
    Customer: but your radio just said coming soon to this store
    Me: Yes ma'am in November

The second group are only annoying because of how many times you hear it, it's actually quite funny more than sucky.

Customers in groups hearing the radio ad: Oh!! christmas so sooon? It's coming earlier and earlier every year. They'll be selling christmas good all year round soon. It's getting stupid ~various other ways of saying too early~

Then after moaning and moaning ~

Customer: Have you got < gift> in yet?
    Me: No not till November
    Customer: oh what a shame I could have brought that for ____.

0_o It's too early and you spent 5 mintues moaning about it being too early yet now you're wanting to BUY the stuff.

SC logic lesson #455:

"Coming soon" = "Available now"
    "Well, ergo cogitum daltitum e pluribus shut your piehole." -Mike Rowe

Comment

I as an employee would moan and complain about the Christmass/Holiday displays being put out before Halloween. They didn't even decorate for Autumn anymore... it really chaffed my butt. One because I LOVE Autumn, and two because by the time CHristmass came along, I hated everything about it
      Shamus: Why hasn't anybody designs a cranium-anus extraction kit yet? It seems that so many people suffer from a improperly-stored head.

Comment

Every year, we put up Christmas merchandise in our lower level main aisle.

Every year, we have people complaining about how much earlier it is this year than it was last year (it's always around the same date...)

Every year, the merchandise starts to sell as soon as we put it on the floor.

Cause and effect, people. If you continue to buy it, they will continue to put it out there for you to buy.

(also: some of the piece tend to sell out...so the ones who buy early get the choice items...)
        I no longer fear HELL.
        I work in RETAIL.

Comment

X-Mas

Thank the Gods my store sells Halloween costumes. That holds off our X-Mas stuff for a little longer.
          The worst part of my old job was the Christmas Carols over the loud speakers. The same ones, Over & Over&Over&Over...
          At my current job we play "I saw Daddy kissing Santa Claus", and a Rap version of "Rudolph".
          Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
          The following is subject to change:
          If Your Going Through Hell,
          Keep Going...

Comment

Re Xmas music: one year I brought a couple of my own CDs in to play during my shifts. One was "Cocktail Jazz Christmas" by the Steve Newcomb Trio (smooth jazz), the other was a compilation I made of parodies and punk covers of traditional songs. Both went over really well with customers who were sick of "the usual Bing Crosby shit" (to quote one guy).

Comment

I won't buy Christmas stuff until after Thankgiving. I just refuse on general principle because I like Halloween, damnit, and I really wish they'd stop overcommercializing Christmas.

For those of you that end up listening to Christmas music for a month solid, why not see if you can get them to play something like Gary Hoey or Trans Siberian Orchestra for some variety.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post

For those of you that end up listening to Christmas music for a month solid, why not see if you can get them to play something like Gary Hoey or Trans Siberian Orchestra for some variety.

^-.-^
                *Goes to dig out her TSO albums to take into work tomorrow.* Good idea! I'd forgotten about them. Although we've banned Christmas music until at least next month. We'd end up killing each other (being a small shop with few staff and everything).

We put out our Christmas cards and merch last month. Had plenty of people complaining. And then buying them (and asking us when certain items would be back in as they HAD to have it) ...
                Idiot-proofing myself since 1997

Comment

B&N has Halloween displays but that doesn't stop them from putting out the boxed Christmas cards (at 20% off!). The cards have been out for at least a week or more, now, and they are more visible than any Halloween stuff (which is usually a table of ghost story books and whatnot, some gift product, and lots of kids books).
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Christmas songs.. tch, now I've got the Ramones stuck in my head. Hmm, need to look up Sandler's "Hanukkah Song", too.
                    "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

This has produced two groups of low level SCs.
                      All I can think of is a retail-based role-playing game.

Comment

When I worked at K-Mart a couple of Christmases ago, I started a new tradition for myself of finding albums of "anti-Christmas" music, as I called it. My wife just shook her head when I started playing CDs like "A Very Larry Christmas" by Larry the Cable Guy, or the one by Cletus T. Judd in which he reminisces about families in drunken brawls on Christmas day. You can't beat songs like "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" or "Rusty Chevrolet" to put you in the holiday spirit.
                        The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Quoth Nayeli_Sabia View Post
                          They didn't even decorate for Autumn anymore...
                          Agreed. I love Fall. it is my favorite time of year and I hate that it gets totally pushed aside for the Christmas season. There is plenty of time to celebrate the winter holidays after Thanksgiving is finished. I want to enjoy my Autumn in peace. I want a few months of pumpkins and scarecrows and harvest colors and wind blowing through trees full of colorful leaves. Then, after my family gorges on turkey and pumpkin pie, I will be ready to break out the holly and lights.

Comment

I'm starting my Christmas shopping next week.
                            I can't STAND the rush. Plus, spacing it out means I'm not working on so strict a budget, and that way everyone gets more presents.

Comment

I do all of my Christmas shopping online. No waiting in lines, no fighting traffic, no wasting gas, and I usually get great deals.

For those fond of the autumn season and art, Erte did a Four Seasons Suite, and my mother got me a very nice serigraph of Autumn. HERE is a link to the actual image. It's tiny, however, so it's difficult to see the detail. HERE is a link the a larger display image, but for some reason, it's completely missing the dark red so you can't see that she's bleeding (autumn being the end of the year, and all).

^-.-^
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                              X