Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top five reasons why I hate cheque writers.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top five reasons why I hate cheque writers.

Disclaimer: I am not referring to those who use cheques to make mortgage or bill payments. I’m talking about the selfish morons who hold up an entire grocery store line.

These are things that use to piss me off when I was a cashier.

1. I know that you know the following things: today’s date, what store you’re in, and how to sign your name. So why haven’t you filled any of this out while you were in line waiting? What the bleep where you doing this entire time?

2. I also know that you know that I’m going to need your I.D. So why isn’t it out yet? Oh and don’t give me that shocked look either.

3. You write cheques all the time. I can see your registry and I’ve noticed that you’re on cheque number 1764. All of this prompts me to ask: Why the bleep don’t you have a pen?

4. Once I give you the total, write it in the bleeping box and stop bleeping asking me what the total is. You can avoid holding up the line if you just write the bleeping total in FIRST and then fill out the other stuff you should have had filled out in the first place!

5. Don’t fill out your registry before handing me the cheque.

this is why i wish I could beg people to learn its ok to fill out the date and all then total and sign at the register it saves time! and have ID ready just in case! I feel your pain!

Comment

I don't use checks, I don't even have a checking account. I pay all of my regular bills on line, including my rent (thank you paypal!), but in regards to number 1, some stores have registers that are equiped with printers which fill in all of the information except the signature and memo line.
      Just because a customer expects you to put some effort into your job, that does not make them an SC.

Comment

^Yes, but once they've figured out that this particular store doesn't do this, the SC should plan accordingly.

Comment

Amen to each and every piece of the above list.

If there are 4 people in front and in back of you, for the love of god, FILL OUT THE CHECK while you are in line. Those 4 people behind you multiply surprisingly quickly, and funnily enough, you've JUST gotten to my register and only THEN thought to even take the damn book out of your bag. ARGH

Comment

I use my debit card for everything I buy, from gas for my car to groceries. I have to agree that people who hold up lines writing their checks are a pain in the ass.
            Boogity, Boogity, Boogity Let's Go Racing Boys

Comment

Quoth Neo_Classic View Post
              ^...the SC should plan accordingly.
              This is a joke, right?

Comment

Quoth Gerrinson View Post
                This is a joke, right?
                Not a funny one at that

*throws rotten tomatoes*

Personally, I'd much rather swipe and be on my way than hold up a line to write a check any day of the week.

Not only is it easier and faster, but for some reason I feel safer carrying that one card than a checkbook.

And as an added bonus: I don't have to take out a search warrant to find a pen in my purse.
                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I'm so glad that the UK is phasing out cheques, some of the supermarkets won't accept them any more (Although to be fair it's pretty much impossible to get an account without a Debit card - no fees on the customer side either)
                  Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Actually, I'm often guilty of writing checks for groceries. Typically I won't carry around a registry and such with me, just a random checkbook. I often don't bother doing the balancing because I'm writing the check for one of two reasons (potentially both)...

1. I don't have any cash on me and I'm going to a place that requires just that, so I will be writing a check over. Anytime I ask my bank for a PIN, they set it for me and then supposedly send me it in the mail (never successful for some reason). This could be very easily remedied if they would just let me select a PIN like all my previous banks, but oh well.

2. There either isn't cash in the account or so little that it clearly won't cover the groceries. That doesn't mean I'm deliberately writing a bad check, as my bank will allow a certain amount in overdraft, but clearly my debit card won't work. Further, since it takes a while for a check to process, often there's enough money in the account by the time the check processes anyway, so I don't receive a fee.

In any case, as the order's getting rung up, I've already entered the date, store name, and my signature. Unfortunately, I rare use cursive, so it often takes me a moment to write out the total in cursive. What I like are stores where you don't have to fill it out...the check is put through a machine, printed on, and I'm shown the amount so I know the cashier isn't ripping me off.

Also, quite a few stores actually aren't requiring the ID now, which is odd, but may explain the complications listed above. And yes, I have my ID out and ready, always, just in case. Finally, I try to do this as hurriedly as possible because I know I hate it when someone's taking their time, acting like an asshole, etc. ahead of me and I certainly don't want to give that impression. w00t.
                    You can find me on Backloggery, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube

Comment

Quoth Neo_Classic View Post
                      5. Don’t fill out your registry before handing me the cheque.
                      I never understood this one either ... it's usually the ones who have the nicest, neatest, slowest handwriting that decide to balance their checkbook right then and there ...
                      This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

I pay my rent with checks.

I buy take-out from my favorite chinese resturant with checks also.

Thats it.

And I always fill that check out as much as possible prior to getting in line, or even leaving my apartment.

2 phone numbers, the date, the business name, all that stuff. hell 9/10ths of the time, i order the same thing, so i even know the total before I walk in. hehe.
                        http://www.vilecity.com/index.php?r=221271
                        Cyberpunk mayhem!

Comment

Actually, just about any situation where I'd normally use a check, anymore I find myself going to the bank to get a cashier's check. Why? Not once, not twice, but several times, both our landlady and babysitter had a bad habit of waiting about a week before trying to cash a check and it JUUUUUUST happened to be during a period where we'd assumed that had come out...
                          You can find me on Backloggery, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube

Comment

most places around here wont take checks
                            My sanity has been dripping out of me my whole life, today they turned on the faucet.....

Comment

All those things bug me too, but the worst for me is when they have to hold up the line to write a check for 50 cents Why some stores still take checks for under 5 dollars is beyond me.

Comment

Working...
                              X