This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "But Canada and USA are the same!"

Canada. A relativley decent place to visit, although most of it is very much like home, so visiting is kind of pointless.

That, and I apparently attract every idiot and nimrod associated with the country, no matter what I am doing. Even when I am fixing an error by some dimwit(s) in my company, I manage to attract Canadians of lesser intelligence. (That story at a later date, when thinking about it does not tempt me into going on a rampage through our warehouse staff with a tire iron.)

This lady held the idea that is oh so popular on American novelty goods in regards to Canada, they are the same. She called inquiring about an order her parents had placed with us. She was upset that shipping cost as much as it did. (Big item, it was some wheeled cabinet "designed specifically" for grooming or something. Costs alot to ship in the States, let alone into another country.) She also had complaints about having to pay duties and other charges related to cross border transactions. So things went a bit like so:

Me: Stubborn, short tempered mule.
    SC: Imperialistic Canadian intent on owning USA.

SC: So why is the shipping so high on this item? It's *only* a cabinet.
    Me: It is classified as an oversized item. It is awkward to move, rather heavy, and takes up alot of space on a delivery truck. It costs alot to ship it between states here, let alone between countries.
    SC: Well, then what is this foreign order charge? My parents would not have paid for this if they knew about that.
    Me: It is a charge that we have deemed necessary to place on smaller orders into foreign countries to make the venture profitable for us. Otherwise, we just would not ship to places such as Canada. Your parents were informed of it before the order was finalized, and it is advertised in both our catalog and our website.
    SC: Then why is the shipping charged twice on this invoice from UPS? And it's two different amounts!?
    Me: That second charge is likely the duties fee levied by the courier, in this case UPS. This covers the extra work they have to put into shipping items between two countries. Again, your parents would have been advised of these before they finished the order.

And around and around and around we go, until she starts with the craziness.

SC: Well do these charges make sense to you!?
    Me: Yes, actually. I would expect extra charges when ordering furniture from another country. It is a big item, and there are charges for international transactions.
    SC: But we are right next to each other, we are almost the same place. I don't understand why there are all these other charges.
    Me: Again, it is because you ordered a large item from another country. It costs money to get through customs.
    SC: But we are the same!
    Me: *Audible snap in the back of my brain* I am sorry miss, but last I checked the US was still a seperate sovereign nation from Canada. Not for a lack of effort on the part of the Canadian government I am sure. Out of spite they have raised a customs agency that is meant primarily to reduce the amount of business we recieve from Canadian citizens, in hopes of reducing us and our economy to ruins, so that they can one day assume control. Until then, you will have to suffer under the burden of high shipping and duties charges for really big merchandise.
    SC: *stunned silence* I want your manager!
    Me: One moment.

Ring up the manager, explain the situation, get her laughing. Get a slap on the wrist myself and cust gets the same response, minus some sarcasm. One of these days I am going to get canned.

Its an expensive pain-in-the-ass to get stuff through customs these days. Anyone who doesn't realize that should pick up a newspaper.

Your company has every right to charge more for international shipping.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Good for you! That lady needed the verbal slapping.
      "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

She's probably one of those morons who thinks New Mexico is a different country...
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

<.<

... Damnit, Xieg knows too much. We'll have to rethink the plan.
          Check out my webcomic!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
            She's probably one of those morons who thinks New Mexico is a different country...
            Some people don't even realize it's a state, they also couldn't name all 50 anyway.
            How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

i love new mexico(no never been there) its funny.

Comment

... Damnit, Xieg knows too much. We'll have to rethink the plan
                You would not be the first to threaten me for revealing this conspiracy. I will not be silenced!

And New Mexico is another country. Didn't you get the memo? It makes it easier that recognizing it as a state.

Comment

Quoth Polenicus View Post
                  <.<

... Damnit, Xieg knows too much. We'll have to rethink the plan.
                  NONONO! It's deny deny deny! There is no conspiracy. None. Nada. Nope.
                  "It's times like these that make me wanna go straight."
                  James from Pokémon.

Comment

Glen Foster: Canada could just be the big friendly country that snapped one day. No one would see it coming. We could probably get 3 or 4 smaller countries before anyone knew what happened! They call up the UN "Yes, help us! Canada is attacking!" "Oh, you've gotta be kidding. Just give them some beer and they'll go away."

It's bad enough getting "Canada and the US are the same" from Staters, but my own countrypersons?! I shall have to hunt down this person and "educate" them
                    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Oh Geez. No idea how bad you'd get dinged in the OP's situation, but I know shipping to the UK can be damn expensive. For a $38.00 item, the freight was something like $60.00 and then, lo, customs was charging the customer well over $100.00 additional. Our company has NOTHING to do with duties & taxes and no way of predicting what those costs will be. Which made for a lot of running around, complaining, and a very unhappy customer. International shipments can really suck.
                      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I have an idea! I think that the United States of America should kick out New Mexico and make Canada our newest state! That way, there'd still be 50 states. Besides, it's what so many people apparently think anyway!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to find a flameproof bunker to hide in.

Comment

Quoth Sedorna View Post
                          I have an idea! I think that the United States of America should kick out New Mexico and make Canada our newest state! That way, there'd still be 50 states. Besides, it's what so many people apparently think anyway!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to find a flameproof bunker to hide in.
                          Yeah, you better run

You can have Quebec. We'll take New Mexico. Even trade. Really.
                          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

it was probably her OD on the high dollar we are having up here. its like people here think we are invincible. im just waiting for someone to come running down the streets in a Superman costume waving their laptop in the air with eBay proudly displayed.

as for Canada invading the US, thats silly. Canada is nice! yes, nice innocent Canada...
                            it's said that no sane person could bite another person and draw blood. I've done it before, but then again sanity has always been questionable in our family.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                              Glen Foster: Canada could just be the big friendly country that snapped one day. No one would see it coming. We could probably get 3 or 4 smaller countries before anyone knew what happened! They call up the UN "Yes, help us! Canada is attacking!" "Oh, you've gotta be kidding. Just give them some beer and they'll go away.
                              My friend and I were discussing this one day, that Canada could just walk in and take over the US. The reason why it would be so easy? No one would see it coming.
                              I AM the evil bastard!
                              A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Working...
                              X