This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You can slid the card early, but my part comes at the end

I've had a whole bunch of customers recently who can't seem to wait to finish up. Where I work you can slide your card at any time, but I have to wait to finish ringing things up before I hit the credit key. This leads to the little pad flashing "please ask cashier to press credit key". This one lady could not let it go:

Credit Card Lady- *While I'm only 1/3 of the way through her two baskets" It says press the Credit Key...

ME- I will m'am ,just let me finish ringing these up

Credit Card Lady- It says now.

ME- I understand m'am but if I put it through now it would only charge you for what I've rang up.

Credit Card Lady- I'm really in a hurry, just hit it!

ME- M'am unless you only want the items I've rang up so far, I can't press the button!

CCL- Fine. *huffs*

Oh and geeze lady, if you're in such a hurry why did you get 3000 items?!!
    "I just figured you would be terrified, and I would be sarcastic about it."

Since she seem like the "customer is always right type" I would have been tempted to press the credit button when she said to, bagged the paid for groceries, and handed them to her. The leave the station with the still full carriages and put them away for back shop.

Comment

On the other side of that coin, are the cashiers who will finish ringing things up, then proceed to bag said groceries and THEN go back and hit the credit button. Most often in the express lane...

I'm sure you're not one of them.

Eric the Grey
      In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Quoth Eric the Grey View Post
        finish ringing things up, then proceed to bag said groceries and THEN go back and hit the credit button.
        Yeah, that's me. Of course, where I work, I have extremely limited counter space. If I'm not constantly bagging as I scan, I start running out of places to set things while I ring. Particularly with those customers who came in right after Christmas and brought cartfuls of ornaments up to buy. It's ever so much better when the entire front end runs out of medium bags.
        "I call murder on that!"

Comment

I have to hit a key on my computer before the card reader even recognizes someone's sliding their card. Beforehand, the screen says, "Please wait," and after I press the button it says, "Please slide card."

Of course everyone wants to slide their card while it still says, "Please wait." Then they slide and put it back in their wallet/purse.

I kind of started taking joy in ignoring that they ever did that, and asking them after I've prompted the system, "And how will you be paying today?" My coworker says, "It'll say, "Please swipe card" when the system's ready, thanks."

Read the damn screen, people.
          Would you like a Stummies?

Comment

most of the ones i use let me slide the card early

Comment

Yeah, but when the screen says, "Please wait," you'd think that means something.
              Would you like a Stummies?

Comment

Quoth Enigma View Post
                Oh and geeze lady, if you're in such a hurry why did you get 3000 items?!!
                Did she also tell you she wanted everything on one bag, but didn't want the bag to be heavy?
                Sometimes life is altered.
                Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                Uneasy with confrontation.
                Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                  Did she also tell you she wanted everything on one bag, but didn't want the bag to be heavy?
                  Oh, I absoluted hated those types when I worked in the grocery store. One of our baggers came up with the perfect solution for one woman though.

Every time she came in each and every bag was too heavy. To the point where she had a bag per item. Which is, of course, ridiculous when you're buying multiple boxes of sandwich bags and the like. She also had a gallon of milk, which the bagger put in a separate bag. She picks up the bag and says "This is too heavy, you put too much in here!"

So, he pulls the milk out and starts to walk away with it. She demands to know where he's going. Totally deadpan, he says "I'm going to pour some of it out since it's too heavy for you." My reaction was: Which was probably bad considering I was her cashier.

It was the last time she complained about her bags being too heavy, though.

Comment

On the other side of that coin, are the cashiers who will finish ringing things up, then proceed to bag said groceries and THEN go back and hit the credit button.
                    Actually, I do this, because in most stores, when the transaction completes, that drawer's gonna pop. I would always finish bagging up the groceries (at least in the cases where I didn't have a bagger, especially with WM) and then finish the payment process.

And also get really, really irked when I've got both hands full, slinging groceries into a cart while not breaking anything, and the customer is standing there like a deranged parrot, "Press the credit key. Press the credit key. It says for YOU to press the key!"

At which point I would love to have informed them that I was not, in fact, Doc Ock and only had two functioning arms with which to be enslaved to their every whim.
                    The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

On the other side of that coin, are the cashiers who will finish ringing things up, then proceed to bag said groceries and THEN go back and hit the credit button. Most often in the express lane... Eric the Grey
                      Uh, not if the register is constantly TIMING you.

Comment

On the other side of that coin, are the cashiers who will finish ringing things up, then proceed to bag said groceries and THEN go back and hit the credit button. Most often in the express lane...

I'm sure you're not one of them.

Eric the Grey
                        Where I work it would be ridiculous to do that. We have a turnstile with 6 bags, so we bag as you go. Also, most customers just grab their own bags.
                        "I just figured you would be terrified, and I would be sarcastic about it."

Comment

Don't take it out on my if you swipe your card before I scan the first item. Then when all done scanning I ask you how you would like to pay. Yes, I saw you swipe your card but hey guess what the computer ignored you. Your a pre-swiper - see if your Dr can help with that.

Comment

I can't see the point of having that message on the pad. If memory serves, as soon as it goes through, the cashier sees "CRD*" on their side of the display, making it pointless to tell the customer that. That's why I'm glad I don't work at Wally World...I'd get horribly annoyed and want to snap at anyone who would badger me like that.
                            "Well, ergo cogitum daltitum e pluribus shut your piehole." -Mike Rowe

Comment

Quoth Gerrinson View Post
                              So, he pulls the milk out and starts to walk away with it. She demands to know where he's going. Totally deadpan, he says "I'm going to pour some of it out since it's too heavy for you."
                              OMG, that is priceless! I wish I had the balls to stand up to idiots like that. Then again, I probably would have been fired after the first week.
                              Sometimes life is altered.
                              Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                              Uneasy with confrontation.
                              Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
                              X