Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh how sorry I am to make YOUR day worse.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh how sorry I am to make YOUR day worse.

Yesterday was INSANELY busy and we were understaffed on cash.
    It was hell, but we all managed to deal.
    With a line about 15 people deep the one thing I was dreading would happen DID happen: my register froze.
    FUCK! So this means I have to turn it off, then on and wait the three minutes for it to reboot.
    Three minutes is an eternity when you're busy and have a line.

I explained it to my customer, as well as the customer next in line. Ideally I would have told everyone, but I'm not wandering down the line to tell every single person, and just used my loud voice to tell the customer next in line, hoping others would hear as well, since they were all intently staring at me anyway.

What does the customer next in line say to me?
    "Fucking Murphy's Law*. Of course I'd be the one unlucky enough to end up in this line. What a pain in the ass."

Oh hell no.

My response to her:
    "Well look on the bright side, you get to leave in a few minutes and don't have to stand here and listen to every single person get on your case about the three WHOLE minutes it takes to reboot a register."

Seriously, woman. You think it's the end of the fucking world when you, who is next in line anyway, gets held up for a few minutes because of something that is out of my control?
    Shall we switch places and you can be the one to listen to, "Rabble rabble rabble lines, I've been here for ever, why are there no more cashiers, rabble rabble bitch bitch," for the next several minutes while I go home and plant my as in front of the TV until I pass out from a Cheeto overdose?

You'll be receiving no sympathy from me whatsoever.
    And the kicker? She ended up holding up my line with an item she picked up from display, which had a sticker saying DISPLAY MODEL ONLY right over the damn barcode, which would not peel off nicely so I could at least see the damn article numbers.
    THEN she took her precious time clearing her items off the back belt, meaning I had nowhere to put the next customer's items.
    Yeah, you were in a real rush.

At least the next customer was cool. The first thing he said was, "Woo what a bitch. I wonder if she's ever condescended to work retail for even one day to see what it feels like."
    He got a mental high five from me.

*One of my biggest pet peeves is when people say something is "Murphy's Law". It's a good way to make yourself sound like a douchebag in .5 seconds. I can't rationalise why it bothers me specifically, but I cringe whenever someone says it.

Ah and I nearly forgot. I got a crotchety old man as well.
    As most people liked to inform me, the OK button on my debit machine was missing, but it still worked. You just needed to push inside the hole. No big deal.
    A lot of times I would push OK for some people, since I have smaller fingers and some of the guys who were using debit couldn't manage it.
    Then we get this old man.

Man: What is this!?
    Me: Hmm? Oh, the button is missing but it still works.
    Man: What's going on with IKEA? You can't afford a new machine?
    Me: I just broke today.
    Man: That's no excuse.
    At this point I had turned away, since I'm not about to listen to some stupid rant.
    Man: Do you need a loan? Should I write IKEA a cheque? I guess you don't make any money.
    Me: Nope. None at all. Here's your receipt.

Honestly. All that over a missing OK button on a debit machine?
    We'll see what he has to say about us not having money once we get our new cash lane gates that come equipped with alarms.
    Now when someone tries to get through one of the locked gates an alarm will go off making them a spectacle.
    Normally I would say this qualifies as poor customer service, but you would not believe the number of people who have tried to, or successfully, stolen many things from us because of our flimsy gates and the fact that if you just push them hard enough they'll open even when they're locked.
    Note: "locked" refers to a supposedly powerful magnet holding them shut.

I can't wait for the new gates.
    Last edited by rerant; 04-02-2008, 05:09 PM.

Quoth rerant View Post
    *One of my biggest pet peeves is when people say something is "Murphy's Law".
    Murphy's Law. MURPHY'S LAW. M-U-R-P-H-Y-'-S L-A-W. ....murphy's law....

Murffy Slaw.

Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post

you better yet?

Comment

The okay button guy was an asshat, but he did have a bit of a point. A button that not everyone can use really shouldn't fly. Any place I've been that would have gotten swapped out in about an hour with one from a less-used location until a replacement could be obtained. How long has it been broken?

As for the Murphy's Law bit, I think I can explain why it bothers you.
        People use it incorrectly. It's not supposed to be a catch-all for misfortune, but more an explanation for bizarre problems that crop up that somehow, people didn't forsee.
        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Response to the button guy:

Don't you have anything better to do than to ponder over a missing button? I certainly have better things to do than listen to you.
          The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
            As for the Murphy's Law bit, I think I can explain why it bothers you.
            People use it incorrectly. It's not supposed to be a catch-all for misfortune, but more an explanation for bizarre problems that crop up that somehow, people didn't forsee.
            ..or you shouldn't have to plan for.

A good example of Murphy biting you in the ass is when we set up an office full of computers in a building that had surge protection built into building's power system. So, of course, one of the protection devices itself flaked out and sent surges into the system, frying the power supplies of three computers. Fortunatly, the capacitors did what they should, and I just had to do an emergancy run for the power supplies. No other equipment lost.
            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Murphy's Law states "Anything that can go wrong, will." Really just a way to explain random misfortune.

Comment

Quoth Record Store Tough Guy View Post
                Murphy's Law states "Anything that can go wrong, will." Really just a way to explain random misfortune.
                Except it isn't. That's people using it incorrectly. It's a way of pointing out that in a given situation, if a person can do something incorrectly, or an item can malfunction, it will.

It doesn't explain things like stubbing your toe. That's not Murphy's law, that's being clumsy. Hitting every red light on your way isn't Murphy's law, that's bad timing and poor traffic control. Your version of Word not being compatable with the only place available to print your essay minutes before it is due? Yeah, pretty Murphy. Your card being eaten by the ATM because the keypad's broken and it's 6 pm on a Friday night? Murphy'd my friend, you've been Murphy'd.

So in conclusion: Murphy's law only related to user error or technological malfunction. NOT every random misfortune that comes along the pike.

/rant.

Comment

The button is missing?!

But...but....but...but.....

I WANNA PUSH THE BUTTON!!!

sorry...I couldnt resist.....
                  "I hope we never lose sight of one thing, it was all started by a mouse" --Walt Disney

Comment

Your version of Word not being compatable with the only place available to print your essay minutes before it is due? Yeah, pretty Murphy. Your card being eaten by the ATM because the keypad's broken and it's 6 pm on a Friday night? Murphy'd my friend, you've been Murphy'd.
                    Speaking from experience, are we?
                    This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Quoth Ljt09863 View Post
                      you better yet?
                      :lol oops, that was supposed to say IT* just broke today.

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
                        Man: What is this!?
                        Me: Hmm? Oh, the button is missing but it still works.
                        Man: What's going on with IKEA? You can't afford a new machine?
                        Man: That's no excuse.
                        Of course not, because nothing ever breaks on your home planet, right? Asshat.
                        Quoth king4aday View Post
                        "Push the button, Frank!"
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

The button probably broke because of SC who feel the need to beta the poor pin pad half to death when all it needs is a light touch.

Comment

Quoth king4aday View Post
                            You no push the button, I push the button! Elelator go down da hooooooooooole.

Quoth karma_gypsy View Post
                            Speaking from experience, are we?
                            Only on the Word document one. The other I ran into while I was at work. We've got a privately owned ATM in the lobby, and someone was about to go out with some friends to a club, and the ATM borked, snarfed their card, and wouldn't give it up. Felt bad for them.

Comment

You no push the button, I push the button! Elelator go down da hooooooooooole.
                              Elelator stop! Elelator go UP! Elelator stop!

Damn it, you beat me to it.
                              "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Working...
                              X