This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The one that's on sale"

Herewith, another pet peeve of mine: customers who ask me for a certain item "that's on sale"?

Let me clarify with an example:

Customer: Do you have MP3 players?
    Me: We sure do. Are you looking for a particular one?
    Customer: The one that's on sale.

Thing is, it's very likely ALL the MP3 players are on sale, so asking me for the MP3 player "that's on sale" does not narrow the choices down. Same thing goes for TVs, chairs, dish and glassware sets, and hundreds of other items in the store.

An example from today:

Customer: Yeah, where are the stools?
    Me: (barstools? step stools? stool softeners?) Um...what kind of stools are you looking for?
    Customer: The one that's in you ad for this week.
    Me: Are you looking for barstools? Or step stools?
    Customer: Oh, step stools.

Now come on people, is it so very difficult to say "Where are the step stools?"? This admittedly is not the worst crime a customer can commit, but it becomes infinitely worse when the customer then decides to assume I am a complete blithering putz and start lecturing me and speaking slowly like I am an unusually dense first grader or something.

Customer: Where are the chairs?
    Me: (kitchen chairs? folding chairs? beanbag chairs? office chairs? patio chairs? those little lawn chairs that fold up into their own storage bag?) What kind of chairs are you looking for?
    Customer: The ones that are on sale this week! Duh-uhhhhhhhh
    Me: Well, we have lots of different kinds of chairs. If you can tell me specifically what kind of chairs you are looking for, I can take you right to them.
    Customer: No thanks! I'll just find somebody whose helpful and knows what they're talking about!

(this hasn't happened to me directly. Yet.)
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

SC never tells you the basic INFO on what you need to know to begin to answer then when you ask for them to clarify, you are the idiot.

Like walking into a bakery and walking up to the person (me) and saying "cake"

Yeah, i need more than that to help you.

Comment

I guess its the benefit of my chains catalogue been ridiculously large (2 A3 Glossy Sheets), though not having that many things listed in it (Normally about 40 to 60 products). They also combated this problem by arming us with large, red tickets with "ADVERTISED" In clear letters on the top, so people know what is listed in our catalogue.

Can see the irritant of it in a department/discount store though. >_<
      - Boochan

Comment

Oh god. You brought back some traumatic memories.

Customer: Sea Salt.
        Me: Sure! The one for cooking?
        C: Yes
        Me *take them to sea salt*
        C: Not that one, the one in the box.
        Me: We don't have a sea salt ina box...
        C: YES YOU DO!
        Me: Hang on, do you mean the sea salt for the BATH?
        C: YES! OF COURSE!
        Me: Sure. Here it is.
        C: You can cook with it TOO you know!
        Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

Comment

What kind of chairs are you looking for?
          Customer: The ones that are on sale this week! Duh-uhhhhhhhh
          "Well - they're all on sale! Duh-uhhhhhhh"

"You can also rub it into open wounds and make people scream in agony too.... Wanna try?"
          When I said "From my research", what I actually meant to say was "Made shit up" - from a thottbot thread

Comment

IPF, ever deal with the confusion of "on sale" vs. "for sale"?
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I suppose it's too much to expect that they might think to bring the ad with them..?

yeah, I thought so...<sigh>
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

...then there are the idiots who go to the hobby shop, and ask for "those old Chevy kits..." and get pissy when the shop owner asks "which one?" I mean, it's not like there are multiple manufacturers to choose from, or multiple model years to play with
                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I got a lot of "I want a lottery ticket." There's only like 10 different kinds of lottery, I should be able to figure it out!

Comment

Quoth GingerBiscuit View Post
                    Cook using BATH Sea Salts? ........oh ew.....
                    Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth GingerBiscuit View Post
                      Customer: Sea Salt.

Really? So if I buy lavender scented sea salt, I can safely cook with it? I would love to see how my lavender pork tastes!

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                      I suppose it's too much to expect that they might think to bring the ad with them..?

yeah, I thought so...<sigh>
                      That would make too much sense, because now most places of business have a stack of ads when you walk in the door. Probably because of asshats like this. They complained that the store should spend more bucks on more advertising, and therefore it should not be up to them to bring in the decrepit ad!
                      Last edited by Broomjockey; 04-06-2008, 10:45 PM. Reason: multi-quote

Comment

Let's see

If I get it right, because I already seen this looking for an MP3 player that is also an voice recorder.

If the old model that cost $129.99 but is discounted to $79.99, and the new smaller and lighter model sells for it's regular price of $69.99 this SC thinks they are getting a deal because the older model is on sale!

SC logic is mind-boggling.
                        Last edited by earl colby pottinger; 04-06-2008, 10:20 PM.

Comment

sounds like a good reason to avoid her cuisine...that's beyond mind boggling.

this is most likely moving towards sucky worker behavior, but after dealing with idiots who expect me to be clairvoyant to the infiniteth power, i'm losing the ability to care (it's only when they're exceptionally rude about it).

this happened the other day:

*bit of info; not all frappucinos automatically have whipped cream as a part of the drink; coffee, espresso and light versions don't, but can have them added to, but the customer has to say so, we don't always remember to ask them or assume that they want it with the drink*

jerk: *orders a coffee frappucino, which is not a problem...yet*

me: *makes the drink, hands it off and sees him, thinking, you look familiar for some odd reason*

jerk: *grabs drink and has a sour look on his face* 'what do i have to do to get whipped cream on my drink?' *spoken in a 'you should know what i want tone*

me: *realising why i know who he is; a person who hasn't been around for a while but has caused some headaches for us for not mentioning that he wants his drink that way and gets snotty about it, plus seems to not understand that as a business that serves food, we need you to follow the shoes and shirt part of dressing, since it is a health code violation that WE take the hit for* 'it doesn't come as a part of that drink normally.' *said in a neutral tone*

jerk: 'well, i want it on there.'

me: *tired of his childish behavior and no longer willing to play to him* 'i'm not clairvoyant, nor are our cashiers; you actually have to mention that you want it on your drink.' *cold stare; i'm not budging, so be a relatively human like creature and do what's right, asstard*

jerk: *huffs, then walks out*

oooh, please report me; i'm so scared that you'll 'have my job for this' because you're a moron who can't figure out anything even after going through this MULTIPLE times.
                          look! it's ghengis khan!
                          Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

O.k., I've got a few that kinda gets on my nerves ... although most people do it, so I can't really get pissy ...

*Stereos*
                            Home Stereos (the BIG, elaborate kind)
                            Bookshelf Stereos (the little, simple kind)
                            Car Stereos

*Amps*
                            Guitar Amps
                            Home Stereo Amps
                            Car Amps

*CD Players* (same as stereos)
                            Home Stereo
                            Car Stereo
                            Portables/Handhelds (we don't have many of these)

*Speakers* (same as stereos ... again)
                            Home
                            Car
                            Computer
                            iPod, etc.
                            This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Quoth greensinestro View Post
                              Really? So if I buy lavender scented sea salt, I can safely cook with it? I would love to see how my lavender pork tastes!
                              Lavender pork sounds like it would be a tasty dish.
                              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                              X