X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bookstore SC Roundup

A collection of recent bookstore SCs:

SC #1

A man comes in to return a book that is missing pages. No problem, publisher defect, I apologize and get another copy, make sure it is OK and switch out the books. Then comes the SC part.

SC: I think I deserve some kind of compensation for coming all the way out here to return this book.

Me : I'm sorry?

SC: I had to come all the way out here to return this book and I want a gift card or something for my trouble. I buy three or four books a month from you () and I will buy more today while I am here.

I decided I do not get paid enough to deal with an entitlement whore like this so I call a manager. He apparently left while threatening to take his 3-4 books a month business elsewhere.

SC #2

Note: We do not keep financial records at the store, all of that is kept at our service center in another city. We have no paper or digital records of transactions here and no way to look them up. This is dumb, sure, but it saves us from having to deal with people who were double charged or whatever.

SC (on phone, in the creepiest happy-cheerleader voice ever): Hi, I think I was overcharged on my last visit there.

Me: OK ma'am, all that has to go through our service center. The toll-free number there is >blah<, and the lady who can take care of you is >blah< at extension >blah<.

SC: Oh I don't need to call them, just find someone there who can help me.

Me: I'm sorry, there is no one here who can help you. We don't keep any sort of transaction records here. We have no way of looking up your transaction.

SC: Of course there is someone there who can help me, just find them.

Me: Ma'am, you really need to contact the service center. As I said, we have no way to find the information we need to resolve your problem.

SC: I don't need to call them, someone at your store can help me instead.

Me: Ma'am, as I said before, we can't. We have no access to those records.

SC (suddenly not so happy anymore): I want to speak to a manager.

Me: She'll tell you the same thing ma'am, but I'll be more than happy to transfer you.

I was then treated to ten minutes of my manager repeating the same thing.

SC #3

Older guy purchases three copies of the same book from me. One is large print. I think nothing of it until a week later when we get an e-mail asking about who sold three copies of this particular book to one person. I go to the manager and ask what's up. This guy apparently did not mean to buy a large print copy (he wanted three regular copies), but he had already sent this book to his friend so he wanted a refund without returning the book to us. The guy said the cashier should have KNOWN he wanted a regular copy and not large print. Um, no? I told my manager that I don't question what people buy because I expect them to have their shit together and pay attention to what they're getting. Although our management can be so wimpy they probably gave him the money.

The best part? They asked him what the cashier who helped him looked like, and he said it was a blond girl. I have dark brown hair, so dark it is almost black.
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Okay...
    SC#1 was just an Entitlement whore not much more we can say about him.
    SC#2 . Honestly why is it so hard for this woman to call a FREE number. I can get not knowing it when she called, but after you told her to cal the service center logic would tell her to hang up and try her luck there. Of course if it makes sense...
    SC #3 Maybe he should have kept the Large print for himself. His eyes seem to be going.

Comment

Do entitlement whores have pimps?
      Just wondering...

Your stories left me greatly amused, yet sad at the same time.
      Sigh.
      These people walk freely amongst the rest of us.
      ~~*

"No! You can take the kids, but you leave me my monkey." - WALK HARD: THE DEWEY COX STORY

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
        I was then treated to ten minutes of my manager repeating the same thing.
        I don't know what's wrong with SC brains. Apparently there's a logic circuit that's come unplugged somewhere.

Although, in her case, if she's the dumb cheerleader type, she probably wanted a man she could sweet talk.
        Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

Quoth Demonoid Phenomenon View Post
          Do entitlement whores have pimps?
          From the scads of posts here I would have to say that entitlement whores are pimped out by spineless managers and stupid corporations... But that's just me.

Comment

I can almost see SC#2 waving her hand over the phone while saying that she doesn't need to phone the service center.

"This is not the number I need." <in monotone jedi tone>
            I AM the evil bastard!
            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

A man comes in to return a book that is missing pages. No problem, publisher defect, I apologize and get another copy, make sure it is OK and switch out the books. Then comes the SC part.

SC: I think I deserve some kind of compensation for coming all the way out here to return this book.

Me : I'm sorry?

SC: I had to come all the way out here to return this book and I want a gift card or something for my trouble. I buy three or four books a month from you () and I will buy more today while I am here.

3-4 books a month. I buy double that and wouldn't consider that making me a special case.
              Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

Comment

Quoth GingerBiscuit View Post
                3-4 books a month
                PSSH! 3 to 4? That'd be my weekly amount. Damn you, Terry Pratchett, for not letting me know you had such an extensive catalogue of books when I first started reading The Color of Magic!
                "I call murder on that!"

Comment

lol sometime i get about 55 books in one month

Comment

So then this really wasn't an inconvenience to you was it?
                    wouldn't lube work better in a f***ing machine?
                    ----
                    Yes, that’s right. It’s a pair of gold foil headphones. Gold foil. Finally, headphones just as awful as your taste in music.

Comment

Damn 3-4 book? Y'all should be bending over backwards for him

Back before kids, when I actually had money I'd go to the bookstore and spend $100-$150 on magazines (photo and graphic design for work imported at $15 a pop) and another $100 or so on books(usually all cheap paperbacks). And if it was really slow at work I'd stop by and get the $40 design idea books.

Comment

So what's the big deal with large print? I mean, they read the same don't they? I've never noticed any difference, other than maybe turning pages a little more often. Seems silly to complain about it.
                        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

The reason why I do not read large print is because I, like many others, expect my sight to decline as I age. So, I'll get accustomed to reading large print, and then when I actually need it, I won't be able to use it.
                          I fear that my mother is doing exactly that. She's not even fifty years old and already reading large print (I call laziness on that one) and I just hope that they'll have good quality technology for things like the Kindle where you can really crank the font so that she can still read in her old age.
                          "When life gives you lemons, you give life a f---ing paper cut and then squeeze f---ing lemon juice on it, because life should give you something better than f---ing lemons."

Comment

For me, it depends on how large the print is. At my great gramma's retirement home they have 'levels'. The normal or common large print doesn't bother after the first few pages, though I do have to readjust to both the large print and then back to the normal print. But once the letters reach a certain height, they look more like pictures than letters to me. My brain keeps seizing up trying to examine them in detail instead of grabbing the meaning and moving on.

And if I had accidently bought a large print instead of a normal print book, I would absolutely exchange it if possible. I much prefer my reading material with mental hitches of switching back and forth between sizes. I've read books where the print was smaller than I was used to, and I had to readjust to normal sized print after that as well. So I can see why it might bother him, though of course that's no excuse for the suckfest.
                            "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - George Patton

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Me: OK ma'am, all that has to go through our service center. The toll-free number there is >blah<, and the lady who can take care of you is >blah< at extension >blah<.

SC: Oh I don't need to call them, just find someone there who can help me.

Me: I'm sorry, there is no one here who can help you. We don't keep any sort of transaction records here. We have no way of looking up your transaction.

SC: Of course there is someone there who can help me, just find them.

Me: Ma'am, you really need to contact the service center. As I said, we have no way to find the information we need to resolve your problem.

SC: I don't need to call them, someone at your store can help me instead.
                              Sigh.....When will SC's learn that Jedi Mind Tricks only work in the movies.
                              Just because a customer expects you to put some effort into your job, that does not make them an SC.

Comment

Working...
                              X