This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phony Raincheck

Yesterday, one of my coworkers at the service desk got a customer who ended up with a fake raincheck. I was working on customer card updates when this happened so this wasn't one of my customers. The coworker tried to get it photocopied so the manager could get the evidence but as far as I know she didn't get the chance. The customer got so out of control verbally that the coworker ended up calling the police. The coworker ended up getting the license plate of the car and when the police came she explained the situation with the raincheck. I got a glimpse of the raincheck and it was a fake but I can't think of anyone I work with that would give anyone a fake raincheck.
    My Fanfic Page
    My Fiction Page
    My Social Group
    My Pet Social Group
    My You Tube Channel

Our rainchecks are printed in black&white. They would be very easy to dulplicate. All anyone would have to do is get a real one, white-out and photo copy. Or just get a legitimate one, photocopy it and use them all year long. I havent personally noticed any fake ones though.
    WELCOME

Be Nice or I'll Make the Sun Go Away.

Comment

Purplecat, I doubt that any of your co-workers gave it out. What probably happened is the SC made one at home and brought it in hoping that you and your co-workers weren't paying enough attention to catch it. Thats why she got crazy at the first sign of trouble. She was trying to distract the employees, and hope that the manager would just give her the product to get her to go away quickly.
      The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Pardon my ignorance but... What exactly is a raincheck?

Comment

I think if a store runs out of stock they give the customer some documents that let the customer have the item at the same price when it is back in stock also the store will tell the customer when it is back in stock.

It is mainly used for sale items.

So the customer might have been trying to get an item cheap with the fake

Comment

Quoth Anakah View Post
            Some stores will give you a raincheck, if they are out of stock on a sale item. It locks in the sale price, and you can come in and redeem it once the stock is in. (usually a 30 day limit).
            The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

our rainchecks are printed on our till tape, which is a special order thermal paper. Anyone ordering duplicate till tape has the police visiting them. And since we confiscate and void the RC, as well as not take any copy of it, (you need the original or you don't get it) you are screwed if you try the fraud.
              I AM the evil bastard!
              A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth Anakah View Post
                When the term originated, there were no domed or retractable-roof baseball stadiums. If it rained hard enough and long enough, the head umpire would call the game (cancel it). If it was earlier than the 5th inning, the game would have to be replayed. Patrons at the ballpark would be given a "rain check" that would admit them to the make-up game. The term transferred over to retail, customers are given a raincheck for sale items that are out of stock at the time of the sale. (Hey, a post where my avatar is appropriate!)
                Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
                TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

Comment

Hehe. My company doesn't do rainchecks. When the sale item is gone, it's gone. (We sell a lot of computers and electronic stuff. No point in losing money where we don't have to.) The best thing we can do is have an item transferred from one store to another. And people STILL hem and haw because they'd have to come back to the store to come pick it up.

Comment

Quoth Banrion View Post
                    Some stores will give you a raincheck, if they are out of stock on a sale item. It locks in the sale price, and you can come in and redeem it once the stock is in. (usually a 30 day limit).
                    I wish we had a limit. Our's dont expire and yes we've had people take advantage of that. We've had a couple form the store's grand opening sale 5 years ago. We've also had a guy turn in a raincheck from 1992.

We also think a guy has a book of our rainchecks (we keep them under the register, not next to them now). He has redeemed an obscene amount of them and they all seem to be issued by people that havent worked in the store for at least 3 years or for a ridiculously low price.
                    Last edited by El Barto; 09-15-2006, 02:13 AM.
                    "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Anonymous

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual." - Dr. House

Comment

my store doesn't do rainchecks

the odd thing is you get people that are shocked and appalled and feel we owe them an explanatin as to why not

we don't, end of story

first come first serve

do you plan on coming back to buy it when it is back in stock most likely when the sale is over? hell no, because you didn't really need it, so fuck off and stop bitching at me

Comment

Quoth Anakah View Post
                        A raincheck is a piece of paper we give to customers wishing to purchase a sale item that is out of stock. Ours are printed in duplicate, one copy to the customer, the other is kept by the store.

When the item comes back in, we notify the customer that their item is back in stock and ask them if they still want to purchase it. If they decide to purchase it, they pay the sale price for that item even if the sale has ended.

We do not give rainchecks on all sale items. For example, we do not give them on seasonal merchandise, because eventually we will not get it in anymore and we can't guarantee that we will get back in.
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth skeptic53 View Post
                          When the term originated, there were no domed or retractable-roof baseball stadiums.
                          Hey, cool, I was always wondering how that term came about.
                          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

El Barto, we have a simaler scammer. Someone stole a pad of rainchecks a year ago, and tried using them. Didn't work, but we never got the pad back.

Last week, someone tried using one of the forged rainchecks to buy an $8 carton of ciggarettes. However, they made three mistakes.

* The price was rediculously low,
                            * The raincheck was dated for a year ago, with the cashier's initials misspelled,
                            * And they presented it to one of my managers, who KNOWS rainchecks on cigarettes are illegal.

They argued for a while and left. We couldn't do more than keep the raincheck, since we had no proof that they were the theives. If I remember correctly, El Barto, you're not THAT far away.

Maybe we got hit by the same scammer, and they went to your store in hopes that the word hadn't spread until the heat was off in ours?

Comment

The hell with rainchecks. I write so many of them for people who just HAVE to have the item , and 9 times out of 10, they never come and get it anyway. You wouldn't believe the crap we have in the raincheck area that no one picks up.
                              Dammit !! ~ Jack Bauer

Comment

Working...
                              X