Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There's a HURRICANE coming, we are CLOSED, Go away!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's a HURRICANE coming, we are CLOSED, Go away!

I live in the gulf coast area and work at a wireless store.

We were closed down early and boarded up today because of Hurricane Gustav. I have since evacuated further north.

So we closed at 4:30 PM today but because of potential flooding and/or looting at the store we had to pack up all the phones and expensive stuff as well most of our electronics (Computers, fax machines, routers, etc) and clear all the cash out of the store.

It's shortly after 4:30, we weren't able to lock the door because the guys boarding up our windows needed to use one of our power outlets for their drill.

A customer comes wandering in....

SC: Oh thank god! Look, I really need to replace this phone or I'm in trouble.
    Me: I'm sorry sir but we are closing up for the storm, I can't do anything for you.
    SC: But your door is not locked. You're still open.
    (Funny note: I put four, yes FOUR signs on our door and front windows informing customers of the early close)
    Me: The door is only unlocked so the men outside can finish up.
    SC: Look, I really need a phone. I'll pay cash for it. Just ring me through quick.
    Me: I am sorry sir, I can't do anything for you. We can't process transactions right now.
    SC: So turn your register back on!
    Me: Well it doesn't work that way.
    SC: You have phones here right?
    Me: Yes
    SC: Then SELL me one! Look, I'm going to need a working phone during the storm. You have to help me!
    Me: Look SIR, there is NOTHING I can do. The phones are stored away, the register is shut down for the day, all the cash we had on hand has already been removed from the premises. I have NO WAY to get you a phone.
    SC: This is ridiculous! I just need one phone, you don't want to make some commission?
    Me: What I want is irrelevant, did you not just hear me? Our phones are stored away and our computer systems are completely SHUT DOWN. I have no way to process a sale.
    SC: This has to be some of the worst customer service I've ever recieved. You are telling you won't do anything to help me?
    Me: I am telling you I CAN'T do anything to help you.
    SC: Bullshit! If you REALLY wanted to, you could find a way to get me a phone.

(Note: I maybe, MAYBE could have, but never in a million years for an assmunch like this)

Me: Sir for the last time, we are CLOSED. Completely SHUT DOWN. Please leave or I will call security. (Ok, we don't actually have "security" but I figured it might scare him enough to make him leave...which it did)

*SC finally saunters off*

Amazing how stubborn people can be.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

I would have been very tempted to finally go "Oh my god, you're right, there IS a way I can sell you a phone.. although there will be a $1,000 ass-hat fee added to the transaction. Still interested?"

Comment

"Sir, is a phone really worth more than your life? If so, big piles of money will be necessary for me to continue so much as looking at you. Otherwise, get the hell out!"
      "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Out. Get. Out.

Stupid people.
        For civilized discussion about broadcasting, media and sports along with fun games to play, visit:
        http://atriumforum.com/
        Emphasis on Michigan area broadcasting, but ANYONE is welcome!

Comment

Sometimes I think people like him should get these to warn us of their impending idiocy.

I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
          Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
          Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I don't know exactly where you are, but when Katrina hit I still had NOLA area cell service, and when the storm hit, out went my phone. I ended up having to change my service that same day.

So your jackass SC may well have found that if he'd gotten a phone from you that it'll be knocked out by the storm anyway.

Of course this would be all your fault.

Comment

I can understand wanting a cell phone right before a giant storm, a way to call the family and say "i evacuated to *** and I'm safe"

But not how he handled it.

just get a freakin tracfone. 25 bucks (plus tax) will get you a phone and 60 minutes. perfect for one of those OMG issues. Then donate/recycle it if you want a regular phone later. (they even come with plastic envelopes to mail to motorola if you're done, & you don't have to pay postage)

but harassing people when they have no means to help?... that's productive.
              pls drive south when the storm hits k thx.
              ---------

CC: hope you guys get out safely! went through isabella myself but couldn't leave. (damn boss didn't let us go until the day before it hit). but from what i've heard this one is going to be category 5... so good luck!
              Last edited by PepperElf; 08-31-2008, 07:45 PM.

Comment

I had something similar happen working at Wal-Mart during hurricane Fraces in '04.

Everyone knows it takes nothing short of a disaster to shut WM down, and we had originally intended to close at 6PM. (We were a 24 hour store). Managers kept themselves tuned in to the radio and TV, and made frequent trips up front to look outside and decided it was better to close at 5 since debris and stray shopping carts were now roaming about the parking lot of their own volition at unnaturally high speeds. Everyone was a bit stressed, but we managed to get the remaining customers in the store checked out as quickly as possible, and at least the people I dealt with weren't fussed about much and were really nice to deal with. Slung the contents of my till together into the zippy bag and dropped it off at the cash office, and headed outside to wait for my ride.

There is a woman out front standing outside of an older SUV filled with her husband and several children, and she is arguing with the assistant manager, who took up guard at the entrance next to a police officer. AM is just shaking her head and saying that the store is closed.

Woman: "But the radio said you'd be open until siiiiix. I need milk. I need milk for my kids!"

AM: "Ma'am, we're sorry but due to the weather getting worse, we wanted to get our employees and customers out of the store so we can all go home to our families."

W: "But I NEED milk! Look, just let me run in real quick and get it, I PROMISE it'll only be a minute!"

AM: "Ma'am, I can't do that, we're closed; all the cash registers have been turned off."

W: "But I NEED milk, and besides, there's a cashier RIGHT there, I see her! She can check me out."

Granted, I think there was one person left at an express lane at that point, but she was closing and was only there longer because she volunteered to stay and check out any employees getting last minute stuff.

AM: *rinse, later repeat*

I'm not exactly sure how this one turned out, as my Dad showed up and I wanted to get home before driving conditions got much worse, but really? Frances was not a small storm, and we had about a week's worth of forecasts and warnings that this sucker was coming, and this woman waits until the store is about to close to get something as basic as milk? Goodness, people in California knew this was coming!

I don't understand why people wait until the last minute for these things . . .
                The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                  (they even come with plastic envelopes to mail to motorola if you're done, & you don't have to pay postage)
                  They do? Cool. Do you know what The Great Mot does with 'em? Refurb and resell I'd guess, but who knows.
                  Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Since they're presumably very generic things, refurb and resell sounds like a very practical recycling technique. I think Motorola's onto something with that.

Comment

I wish my hotel would shut down so I can leave Houston.

1.9 Million people have evacuated so far. It can only get worse.

(*Note; the news woman just said the number but you know the news casters, you never know how accurate that is)
                      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Some of the evacuees already have made it to my town. My church is one of the designated emergency shelters and will take on the evacuees who are categorized as needing extra help due to physical or emotional or mental disabilities. I start my first shift tonight at midnight and will be there until 8:00 a.m. Thank high heaven people learned from Katrina and are getting out early!

I also can see why a person would need a phone during a time like this, but if it is impossible to get one, then accept reality, get out and move on.
                        "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
                        .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Hurricanes make me ever so glad I live on the praries... and far faaaaar north of Tornado Alley. I think the worst we had was Black Friday back in I think it was '86. Never ever do I want to experience THAT again. We've had some bad blows, but never as bad as that... oh and there was the one rainstorm a few years back... flooded West Ed. Ha that was great... they had to break windows over the Ice Palace to drain the roof.
                          "FUCK NO I DON'T WANT YOUR FREAKY ALIEN MOTHERSHIP ORANGES. " - Cookiesaur
                          ~~

Munkie's NaNo WC: 9648

Comment

Actually had a few evacuees show up at Rocky Horror last night... wouldn't have known it if my ride and I hadn't been talking to them, either.
                            "I call murder on that!"

Comment

People are so dammed stupid. The guy was told that Hurricane Gustav was on its way there. I bet if there were a Tsunami warning and you had minutes to leave he'd still want his dammed phone. WELL YA KNOW WHAT???? NO DAMMED PHONE FOR YOU!!! Just shows how stupid some people can be!
                              NEVER underestimate the stupidity of the customer

Comment

Working...
                              X