Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There's a HURRICANE coming, we are CLOSED, Go away!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm glad everyone's getting out of the area for the hurricane. I was in Isabella but my boss didn't want to make an official decision on when to let us go until he heard from his bosses... not enough balls to make his own decisions.

So... didn't leave work until the day before the storm hit. Ended up staying there with the cat. Thankfully I was over 4 miles away from the waterfront with a forest & other buildings in the way... and wasn't too close to the forest either. Only suckage was no power for a week and a dying cell phone. When it was safe to drive and shops were re-opening, I got myself a car charger.

And off topic: the "Great mot" - they don't directly say "Refurb/resell" on the bag, but they do say that a portion of the proceeds go to schools participating in the motorola race to recycle school collection program. can put up to 3 phones in a bag.

Haven't done it myself yet cos i want to blank out my old verizon phone data first, and my spare tracfone went to sis in case they lose one of theirs.
    Last edited by PepperElf; 09-01-2008, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Why does he need a phone? One of two things will happen:

He stays behind. Even odds he drowns (we all cheer for the gene pool chlorine). If he survives, he still has no phone service, as the TOWERS will be offline. Nobody who can look at a balance sheet is going to leave the cell towers powered up during a cat 5 hurricane. The signal wouldn't carry anyway, and there's an excellent chance that the towers themselves will get knocked over or otherwise damaged. They may be brought back online following the storm, assuming they can be checked remotely for damage. IF the towers come back online after the hurricane passes, WHO is he going to call? Emergency services are suspended, and everyone else was smart enough to leave town.

OR....

He evacuates.
      He can buy a phone wherever he winds up, that's far enough out of the path to have stores that are, you know, OPEN.
      "Joi's CEO is about as sneaky and subtle as a two year old on crack driving an air craft carrier down Broadway." - Broomjockey

Comment

Quoth Munkie View Post
        Hurricanes make me ever so glad I live on the praries... and far faaaaar north of Tornado Alley.
        Don't you live in Canadaland? Are there ever Hurricanes in Canada?

After this, I am Sooooo moving back to the desert; this hurricane shit is too damned stressful for me.
        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
          Don't you live in Canadaland? Are there ever Hurricanes in Canada?

After this, I am Sooooo moving back to the desert; this hurricane shit is too damned stressful for me.
          I kinda like hurricanes...

...but I live above sea level

I used to live in south florida. Most of the houses there that're built up to code can take it. concrete walls, concrete tiles on the roof. Big storms are awesome.
          "Joi's CEO is about as sneaky and subtle as a two year old on crack driving an air craft carrier down Broadway." - Broomjockey

Comment

I like Thunderstorms. They're so awesome. So colourful (we'd have purple lightning when I lived in TN and I'd only seen the harmless Green Lightning once, a long, long time ago in Florida), so relaxing....
            Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Working...
            X