Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The most awesome tipper EVAH!. Oh...wait...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The most awesome tipper EVAH!. Oh...wait...

Told by a coworker:

Guy was in yesterday and tipped $28 on an $80 check. Server was all "Wow, what a nice guy! Sweet!"

He called today: "Yeah...I only meant to leave $8. I'll need the other $20 back."

Coworker: "...you want to take back the tip you left?"

Awesome tipper: "Yeah. Hey, the food and service was great, but you know, $20 is $20."

If I were him? I would never ever ever come back to my establishment. Congrats, you just bought yourself a lifetime of (if you're lucky) apathy and mediocre service here.

For the low low price of $20!

I don't know...I would have just sucked it up when I realized my mistake.
    "Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds..."

Though I am not naturally honest, I am so sometimes by chance.

"Sorry, gratuity is non-refundable."
    Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Sorry, the server is working out of <some other state> now.

i've heard of cheapass stuff but that's ... freaking low and cheap.

Comment

That SC hit an all-time low in douchebaggery and cheapness.
        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

They didn't give it back to the asshat did they?

Comment

That's really cheap. That's only a 10% tip.

If I had realized my mistake, I wouldn't have asked for the $20 back. I'd have assumed the server had been stiffed at least twice that day and left it for him/her. Then again, I'm not an SC.

Comment

So, even though "the food and service was great" they only want to leave a 10% tip?!

*grabs crotch and in best NYC accent says* "Yeah, I'z gotcher twenny dollahs rightcheah!"
              "What did you have for breakfast this morning? Carnation Instant Bitch?"
              -Eric Foreman That 70's Show

Comment

"Yeah...I only meant to leave $8. I'll need the other $20 back."

Awesome tipper: "Yeah. Hey, the food and service was great, but you know, $20 is $20."
                I'm...speechless....

Comment

He keeps that up and he'll be ingesting an amazing variety of bodily fluids.

**And I am not for a second advocating that anybody do this. But the reality is some people in food service don't have the kinds of moral codes we here have.**
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Ok, that's just WRONG.

But then, I'm the kind of person who tips extremely well, being a former server. went out with the friend I'm staying with, my treat, since I'm kind of inconveniencing her a bit. Bill came out to $48.70 and I tipped $20 because the service was AWESOME. (and the server was hot, but that didn't factor in at ALL, naturally. )

People who tip around 10% are irritating to me, I only tip 10% if the service was mediocre to poor. And besides, HOW do you mistake $8 for $28? Seriously?!

what an ass.
                    Last edited by lupo pazzesco; 09-14-2008, 02:10 AM.

Comment

Quoth spookysonata View Post

"Sorry, but all tips are deposited nightly into long-term certificates of deposits. I cannot return it to you before they mature in 12 months."

Seriously, that has to take some balls.

Eric the Grey
                      In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Quoth Plaidman
                        o_O
                        He might make very low pay, and decided to reward himself. 20 bucks could easily be five hours of work, and food for a week.
                        As much as I believe that could honestly be the case, it comes down to this: if you cannot afford to leave an appropriate tip, you cannot afford to eat out.

That is seriously sucky.

I learned to tip from my dad, who frequently quotes Steve Martin - "I don't believe in tipping, I believe in over-tipping."

If I'm eating out, I typically tip between 25-30%. I also frequent the same restaurants routinely, so it ensures that the waitstaff remembers me and I receive excellent service whenever I go in.

Pretty much if I tip anything less than 20% it's because there was something seriously wrong with the service, and I make sure to let either the server or the management know what it was.

But that guy's behavior was inexcusable - he should have chalked it up to a lesson learned and counted more carefully.

Comment

Quoth Plaidman
                          o_O

However, its a little sucky to call him a dick over it. Most of us wouldn't have called over it, but...
                          You don't call the next day and ask for your tip back. You put on you BIg Human panties and suck it up.

Comment

Quoth Bramblerose View Post
                            You don't call the next day and ask for your tip back. You put on you BIg Human panties and suck it up.
                            In this instance, I prefer the phrase "Big Boy BVDs"
                            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I was at a bar with a buddy, and when cashing out with the waitress, handed her a $20 for a tip...

Or so I thought.

What I ACTUALLY handed the waitress was 2, yes TWO $20 bills.

I get out to the parking lot and only then realized how badly I screwed up.

Could I have used the $20 back? Maybe.
                              Was it worth me going back in and ruining a waitresses night? No.

I put the extra money down as a tip towards my Karma. Maybe she needed it more than I did.
                              "Chaos in the midst of chaos isn't funny, but chaos in the midst of order is." - Steve Martin

Comment

Working...
                              X