Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We've got mountain lions and bears here that will come down into the city. Even had a bear wander into the lobby of the Presbyterian Hospital in Rio Rancho! And there's coyotes all over.

Every now and then, there will be a sighting of a jaguar in the southern part of the state. Wonder what she'd do about those!

Quoth Mara-chan View Post
    Cops came, HANDCUFFED the gator and put it in the trunk to release it in another lake.
    How do you handcuff a gator? I just can't picture it....

Quoth Bramblerose View Post
    I am really unsurprised. I once tried to keep a camper from working herself into dry heaving hysteria over the *potential* of wolf spiders.
    They might bite if you harass and annoy them enough and they do have venom, it's not really harmful to humans. I get them wandering through my apartment on a regular basis in the summer.

Quoth Nyoibo View Post
    That's provided one of the hundreds of thousands of deadly snakes don't gett you first
    Or the drop bears.

Quoth tamezin View Post
    Spiders are sneaky, they attack without provocation, and are just ugly.
    Spiders don't attack. They will bite if you step on one or provoke it, but they don't attack.
    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
      Spiders don't attack. They will bite if you step on one or provoke it, but they don't attack.
      My husband claims that the god of spiders tried to attack him one day at work after he had gone on a spider killing spree in our garage.

He heard a skittering above him, then a THUNK as the biggest spider he had ever seen landed on the desk behind him. Yes, a THUNK. He turned to see it coming toward him, and grabbed everything he could find to throw at it. He must have done some damage, as it hurriedly left in the other direction and was never seen again.
      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
      HR believes the first person in the door
      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
      Document everything
      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
        My husband claims that the god of spiders tried to attack him one day at work after he had gone on a spider killing spree in our garage.

He heard a skittering above him, then a THUNK as the biggest spider he had ever seen landed on the desk behind him.
        I'm not surprised, considering how big tarantulas can get. Oh, yeah, I forgot. I had one of those in here last summer, too.

I still prefer those to a cockroach anytime.

Comment

"You know how long you'd last if you wandered out here? About 10 minutes. If the quicksand don't get you, the moccassins would. Then there's always the gators."

Yeah, I go out hiking out in the marshes in fear for my life that I'm going to be attacked by a gator. Those things are evil, and will kill you before looking at you. /sarcasm

Living in Florida, it's not bad. The only recorded accounts of gators attacking is when people do stupid things, like feed them or swim in ponds where there are "Alligator" signs. It is not irrational to be afraid of them, but most of that fear is perpetrated by ignorance and media.

Cookies to whomever knows the quote above.
          I did not sell my soul to Satan. He does have a long term lease with the option to buy.

Comment

If you are scared of wildlife maybe you should vacation somewhere there isn't any?

One of the women who works for my parents told us about a camper, at another campground she worked at, who asked if they had a fence around the entire place to keep the wildlife out. I don't think that "camper" really got the concept of camping. Where I live we don't have any really dangerous animals. As long as you don't mess with the moose, or black bears with cubs you're ok. My rule is if you leave the wildlife alone they will leave you alone.
            We did have a giant fiasco involving a bear one time, but it was entirely the camper's fault.
            Elwood: "We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses."
            Jake: "Hit it."

Comment

Spiders and I have an agreement. They stay out of my space, and they don't get squished. Not that I have many, with five cats in the house.

Comment

Fortunately, up here in Northern Europe, there aren't that many spiders and absolutely no venomous ones. People still get arachnophobia, mind.

There's also few enough snakes that you actually have to go looking for one to find them, and the only crocs or gators are in zoos.

The most dangerous beast native to Scandinavia is the moose (or elk). It kills plenty of people every year simply by standing in the middle of the road. The animal doesn't survive either, mind - it's simply a very nasty object for a car to hit at speed.

The next most dangerous is probably the polar bear. You only find those in the far north though.

The house I used to own had a fairly steady spider population. I left them alone, except when they showed up in the bathtub.

Comment

Quoth KaySquirrel View Post
                  Yeah, they don't like to be provoked, but the ones we used to get in our old place would sit there and point at me and then do the 'slitting throat' motion at me. Then they'd be all confused about why they were being scooped up and thrown outside!
                  I always find it hilarious how they all of a sudden will leg it to the middle of the room and just....stop. I did scoop up the tarantula and relocate it outside. I was worried about stepping on it, and not so much about getting bitten, but that would have been just gross!

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                  Fortunately, up here in Northern Europe, there aren't that many spiders and absolutely no venomous ones. People still get arachnophobia, mind.
                  When we were in London a couple of years ago, we were watching the English version of the "Today" show (http://today.msnbc.msn.com/) one morning. The two big topics of conversation were people taking pictures of children and....spiders in the garden!

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                  The most dangerous beast native to Scandinavia is the moose (or elk). It kills plenty of people every year simply by standing in the middle of the road. The animal doesn't survive either, mind - it's simply a very nasty object for a car to hit at speed.
                  I'm really, really sorry, but all I can think of is the credits for "Monty Python and the Holy Grail"!

Comment

Gators aren't too bad...annoying when they try to cross the road, but other than that...you leave them alone and they'll leave you alone. It helps that the main areas they inhabit up here have little human population, unlike some parts of South Florida.

Comment

Quoth Salesmonkey View Post
                      I always thought alligator was rather tasty.? Maybe you need more Deep South people staying at your resort.

"Yeah, we were gonna go out to eat on the mainland but then one of the kids caught a gator."
                      Unless you can go out in the parking lot and scrape up a raccoon or opossum.

You should be in the car with my Mom . . . if we spot any roadkill, she'll threaten to go back and get it for my brother's lunch/supper.
                      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Having gone through six weeks of misery after a black widow bite, the spiders and I have a clear understanding: If I see you, you're dead.
                        Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                        HR believes the first person in the door
                        Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                        Document everything
                        CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
                          Having gone through six weeks of misery after a black widow bite, the spiders and I have a clear understanding: If I see you, you're dead.
                          Yikes. Glad to hear you survived.
                          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Deceptitech View Post
                            Living in Florida, it's not bad. The only recorded accounts of gators attacking is when people do stupid things, like feed them or swim in ponds where there are "Alligator" signs.
                            I wanted to post the picture I took of a "Do Not Feed The Alligators" sign, but was unsure how to do so. Then I searched on Google images, and found a picture of the same sign.

It's close to the lighthouse at St. Marks, Florida.
                            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth BaristaTrav View Post
                              You don't create a bond with an alligator.
                              The only time I come close to "bonding" with an alligator is when it is on my plate, and I have named it "Dinner."

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                              Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                              X