This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "You're being a bad customer!"

This was the best/worst thing I ever got to experience that didn't involve headlocks. (Worst at the time, best now that I've had a chance to think it over.) I do truly believe this is the most defined appearence of passive-aggressiveness I have ever seen. Probably the term "textbook case" could be applied. I also freely admit to my own suckiness, but at least it was measured suckiness that could be ended at a second's notice.

And yes...this is THAT Wal-Mart. The one I seriously have GOT to stop going to...as soon as I find another Ramen noodle dealer...I mean carrier. Stupid spicy beef addiction.

I was in Wal-Mart, doing my usual thing (8-pack of Dr Pepper, scads of Ramen noodles, random chocolate, etc.), and since I'm pretty anti-human, I went to a self-checkout to do my business. Now, this was a full service self-check...had the little treadmill belt and everything so that you could stack up a whole cart full of groceries to ring up yourself. I didn't have a full cart, just about 40-50 items, most of which were small cans of cat food and bags of noodles, so I wasn't taking up a lot of space on the conveyer.

Now, I've mentioned before...I'm a change hoarder. I can have easily a pound of change on my person at any given time. Wal-Mart machines are usually how I deal with this, though, either with the card refiller up front, or, as in this case, the self-check. That said, though, I'm intelligent enough not to do it during a huge rush, but at this point, it was about 10:30 on a weekday morning and there was no one there but me and the bingo crowd (elderly folks), who don't want anything to do with the self-check 90% of the time anyway. So I rang up my stuff and started chunking my coinage.

At this point, a 30-ish woman with SERIOUSLY frizzed out brown hair came up behind me with an overflowing cart full of what had to be a week's worth of family groceries. I didn't think much of it, since A) most of the time, people are just pulling in to look for an empty self-check, and B), there was another full-service to my left, two express to my right, and rows of empty regular check-outs complete with real-live breathing people.

So I'm standing there, with my buggy holding my bags out to the side, the conveyor empty, and my change purse open and rattling through the machine, and after about 30 seconds, I realize the woman is still standing there. I glance back at her, see her staring at me, and pointedly glance at all the other empty check-outs before returning to what I'm doing.

At this point, the woman lets out a SIIIIIIIIIGH and starts shuffling her feet, looking around herself. Interestingly enough, this inspires me to start taking my sweet time with what I'm doing...hey, can't just be idly tossing away those Wisconsin quarters, I might find a misprint...look, a 1982 penny, that's my birthyear...

After about another minute of this, she can't stand it anymore. "Is that ALL you have to pay with?"

"Nope."

"Well, can't you use your BILLS? I'm in a hurry."

"Nope. And if you're in a hurry, try that aisle right there-," *pointing to next self-check where an elderly lady is paying for one box of Tylenol with a fifty* "That lady's about done."

"But I'm already in this aisle!"

I can't find a fit response to this, other than silence, so that's what I go with, and I keep dropping pennies into the slot. The lady huffs, sighs, taps her foot, and looks around...not going to another aisle, and also not bothering to start unloading her scads of groceries on the utterly empty belt. It's been a grand total of two minutes, and since this has been going on, I've thrown in about five bucks in change, most of it pennies, so it's not like I'm being slow...comparitively, I'm hauling ass.

She decides to chime up again. "Other people need to use the registers, you know!"

"Do you have OCD?"

"What is OC-NO!"

"Then you don't have any problem with moving to the next register. I'm using this one."

"I've already got my cart in here!"

"Well, if you'd like, I could move it out for you."

"Just hurry up!" (Here's the best part!) "You're being a BAD CUSTOMER! Don't you know that people like you make Wal-Mart workers mad!"

I admit, I hesitated. I debated the ethical and moral dilemma now facing me...I could take this woman-probably just a stressed out single mother, possibly a retail worker, who was just trying to get things together while the kids are at school-and flame broil her with one of my patented curse word-laden tirades, possibly reducing her to tears or at least making her so angry as to scream...or I could turn the other cheek, collect my karma points, and move on with my day. or so to speak.

Or, I could compromise on the two, grin, and say "Yes ma'am, I know I am. There's a website online you should visit..." And after my pimpage, finished off my change within another minute and was on my way while she FINALLY started unloading her stuff.

Total change spent: $27.21.
    Total minutes spent popping it in: approximately four.
    Average money per minute: $6.80

Not bad if I do say so myself...

I haven't seen any railings about the red-haired wench in Wal-Mart who was jamming up the self-checks yet, though...I guess maybe she decided not to check us out. Can't blame a girl for trying!
    "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
    "But I'm already in this aisle!"

I can't find a fit response to this
    Maybe something like, "And whose fault is that?"

Seriously, I could understand if all the self checkouts were in use, but from what you said, they weren't. She could have... no, make that should have gone to one of the empty ones. She chose not to, so that's her problem.

If you really wanted to piss her off... "Oh crap! I just dropped all my change on the floor. Now I'm going to have to pick it up.... slowly!"
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Mysty, do you know you're one of my very few CS heroes? In fact, I have only 4 right now, and you're one of these 4
      I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

Bliss has it right. Mysty is officially Awesome.
        Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me!

I like big bots and I cannot lie.

Comment

Geez, and I do my shopping at those kinds of "off hours" so i DON'T have to deal with people like that!!!!! And how the hell could "the workers hate people like you?!" You were dealing with a freaking machine!!!!!!!!
          "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

Comment

I got too much of my mama in me, heh heh.

If someone asks nice and treats me well, I'm a sweet little obediant kitten. Unfortunately, the vast majority of people don't...
            Last edited by MystyGlyttyr; 10-26-2006, 09:09 PM. Reason: fix fix
            "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

Wow. She was deliberating messing with you (by getting into YOUR line when all others were empty) and then got mad that you called her on it?

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
              "Well, if you'd like, I could move it out for you."

That's my favorite part. I like "helping" people too, especially my kids:

"Honey. I see you are having trouble getting into the car like I asked. Do you want me to help you get in the car?"

It's amazing how fast those kids move when I offer to help. Too bad your lady wasn't as smart as my kids.
              The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

The automated checking machines are the best place to use all that change. They even count it for you. I tend to use a lot of change, it's a rare shopping experience in which I'm not paying with at least one dollar in quarters and half-dollars.*

*I get a lot of these at work, I try to cash them out and use them. I'm bringin' 'em back, you know? Just like waistcoats and mutton chops. Believe me, in five years everyone will be sportin' that Sofar style.
                You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

Mysty, as a cashier often assigned to the self-checkouts, I can guarantee you that I (and probably a fair number of my coworkers) would've been laughing internally at this exchange, rather than getting mad. Please, by all means, continue to use the SCO's as a Coinstar of sorts. The most I've ever said to (or thought about) any customer paying with a whole lot of change is some joking comment about cleaning out the coin jar that morning. If I don't have to count it personally, why should I care how many coins you're tossing in the machine?

That lady really just brought it on herself, getting in an occupied line. Why is it so many customers will get in line behind a few people already checking out instead of going to the obviously open register right next door? I've had days where no one seemed to want to come to my line when I actually was open, but as soon as I turned off my light for a break (with one or two customers left to ring up), everyone and their dog decided my line was THE place to be.
                  "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                  - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

I swear that lady's cousin was behind me today on route 495. Here I am travelling in the right hand lane at 65mph with nobody to the left of me at all and some git is tailgating me instead of availing herself of the two open lanes to my left to pass me.

This went on for about two minutes.

I realized I needed to help her make the right choice and slowed down and down some more expecting she would take the ample opportunity to pass me.

She didn't. She stuck like glue to my rear bumper for the next mile while I was going 50.

It reminded me of this thread.

Yep. She sure taught me a lesson about...something.
                    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

"Just hurry up!" (Here's the best part!) "You're being a BAD CUSTOMER! Don't you know that people like you make Wal-Mart workers mad!"
                      "But my self check out loves me, don't you baby?
                      Here have another quarter.....see how it purrs when I give it a quarter?
                      Now watch what happens when I give it a dime!
                      Ahhhhh, you should see what happens when I give it half dollars......aww I don't have any half dollars.
                      Do you have any? Ohh.....maybe I have some hidden in my purse, let me pull everything out and look.
                      Oh look a roll of pennies! Watch this!
                      One little penny,
                      two little pennies
                      Three little pennies........"
                      "First time I ever seen a chainsaw go down anybody's britches,"

Comment

Makes me wish the US had half-pennies.
                        Unseen but seeing
                        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                        3rd shift needs love, too
                        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

My replie to "but I'm in a hurry" is almost always "well you should've gotten here earlier."

Comment

You know I don't understand people who would get in a long line and then another register is open but yet refuse to move to move to open one. Of course, these are same people who bitch and complain about the line being long. Well, you know people are going to tell them that there are other registers open and yet they ain't going to move because they are already in line. But you know funny thing is people who were ready after them are aleady checked out and leaving the store when they are still waiting to be check out.
                            Last edited by rdp78; 10-27-2006, 03:35 AM. Reason: Added something
                            Yours truly, Robyn unless your an SC
                            My space
                            Facebook

Comment

Dips, I was getting ready to cite the same phenomenon. You get into a lane and some guy with a tiny pee pee wants to get behind you and ride his brake rather than pass in the empty other lane.

I figure if I'm gonna be in a wreck, it's gonna be a low speed wreck instead of a high speed one. So I do the exact same thing. And if someone hits me from behind, then good. I love free money.

I drive an old Safari van (otherwise known as The Big Green Bitch). I don't care if it gets dinged up. I bought it to haul stuff. So ram away.

I really have to wonder how big a loser someone has to be to try and make someone speed up (on the road or in a line) when the simple solution is just to MOVE SOMEWHERE ELSE. You'd have to be one big ole honkin' control freak.

Comment

Working...
                              X