X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid change-lady at the Walmart Self Checkout

Made ya click!

Now that the initial laugh is over, this thread has nothing to do with it. I just thought the title would be amusing. Not really an SC, but something very, VERY wierd.

A couple comes in with a little girl of no more than five or six, and wants to get the sectional we have on sale. I'm working ith them for a while, and the girl is being very well behaved. One of the things I do to put customers at ease is to sit down as I talk to them, and they do as well. It's alot easier to get someone to buy a piece when they're sitting on it, especially if you have a twenty minute conversation. (You've been on it for quite a while, how does it feel?)

So the couple sits down on the sofa and I sit down on the one opposite them, kindof draping one arm across the back (I'm sitting sideways with my legs crossed, you know the position) and we're talking. The father calls the little girl over.

She comes over, climbs up on the sofa next to me, and gives me a big hug, the sits in my lap and pulls my arm down to curl around her. With no warning, no provocation, nothing.

Instantly, the only thing buzzing through my head is don't move, don't move, don't move. I of course make no move to hug her back or anything, because her parents are staring at the situation with a huge on their faces. I'm praying to God "please don't let these people freak out and think I'm touching or doing anything with their daughter, oh god, I don't want a pissed off father to kick my ass..."

After about a full thirty seconds of me not moving a muscle, and not even breathing, the dad just says "She's never done this before," and the mom holds out her arms. The girl gets off of my lap, and goes and hugs her mother.

Me: "She doesn't have a habit of doing that? I have a cousin her age, but I have no idea why she would do that."

Dad: "Well, I guess she just trusts you." When he said that, my knees turned to rubber and I let out the biggest sigh. The mother never did find the situation humorous, but the father did, especially when he saw my reaction to it. For once, I had a cool customer who saw what his child did and how I responded, when it just could have easily gone "SOMEONE HAS THEIR HANDS ON MY SIX YEAR OLD"

Any similar stories, as the hugged or parent of the hugger?

And sorry, MG, I couldn't resist.
    "Time shall help me face my painful memories with indifference, and with more of it, I won't feel the need to face them at all..."

Please change the title of this post. It isn't appropriate for the message.

Comment

Quoth vloglady View Post
      The title was a joke based on Mysty's earlier post about her experience in WalMart. If the mods feel a change is warranted in the title, I will do so, but would like to leave the title the way it is for a day just to make people smile.
      "Time shall help me face my painful memories with indifference, and with more of it, I won't feel the need to face them at all..."

Comment

When my oldest son was 13 months, he crawled onto a womans lap in the mall. we were walking along and my son was too. Well he was doing that cute little toddler walk. Unfortunely it was also a fast toddler walk too. we walked by this lady sitting on a bench. That's when my son went to her and climbed on her lap. Luckily I was right behind him. I went over and apologised to the lady and got my son. The lady laughed and said that was alright.

As far as the title goes I see no harm in playing a little joke. We all could use a little humor once in a while.

Like Carlos Mencia said: "Take a joke America.
        Take this job and shove it. I ain't workin here no more.

Proud Air Force Mom

Comment

Quoth vloglady View Post
          3 posts? angry with the title? how much do you bet she IS the woman that stood in line behind Mysty?
          I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

Oh man...for a second there I was seriously sweating and going "Oh crap, is Kus a girl??" Good one, man.

I've had one kid do that to me...my boss's three-year-old daughter. I have NEVER had children come up to me, most of them make wide circles around me and cry when they have to remain in my company, but Boss brought her daughter into the office for an hour before her daddy could come get her to go to the doctor, and the girl walked over to my desk, crawled in my lap, and looked at pictures of Chris Jericho with me for an hour. Was very...strange.
            "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

Not a kid, but..

We had a huge party one night about 75 people (huge for the little store I'm at )
              It was for a wedding rehersal dinner, I think this had something to do with it.

Anyways, party is leaving, father of the groom tips me 20$ (if you've worked a pizza joint, you understand the "wow"factor right here).

Then, mother of the groom gives me a big hug. Ok. Little uncomfortable, but no biggie. Then she patted my butt.

It was, of course, the motherly pat, but, still. Would you go up to a complete stranger, give them a hug, and pat their butt?

She thanked me about 10 times for taking care of them (they would actually wait untill I was finished with other customers and talk to me, rather than ask my counter person, who was free).

Anyways, that was strange. I have s small handful of regulars I know only from work who come up to me and give me hugs. No idea why.
              Things just get so crazy living life gets hard to do. I would gladly hit the road, get up and go if I knew,that someday it would bring me back to you.

Comment

Quoth vloglady View Post
                Yeah, yeah, the Internet, serious business. Whatever.
                You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

Quoth vloglady View Post
                  Hi vlog, don't worry, if the moderating team feel a thread title is inappropriate, WE will ask the OP to change it. I appreciate your concern though.
                  A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
                  - Dave Barry

Comment

A reminder to all that we do not attack each other here. If a member posts something you don't like, please don't respond.

If you didn't like the title of the thread, or vloglady's comment, we have a report feature so the moderating team can deal with it.

As Barefootgirl mentioned, that's why they keep us around.
                    Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

I recall one incident (when I worked at a toy store, I believe) where a small child of maybe 2 years just hobbled over to me and grabbed my leg to steady himself.
                      His mother was interested in a specific toy, and I was telling her about it. and while I'm talking, the kid puts his free hand right smack into my crotch and SQUEEZES.
                      Mom doesn't notice.
                      I'm trying not to freak or laugh or anything.
                      Luckily, he 'released' me, and all was well. No damage!
                      Well, no physical damage, anyway.
                      I felt so dirty and used.
                      ~~*

"No! You can take the kids, but you leave me my monkey." - WALK HARD: THE DEWEY COX STORY

Comment

I had a lot of similiar experiences with kids in restaurants I worked at. Some parents would think that a server also meant babysitter and you are there for hugs and tugs and to listen to stories about how they got their boo boos. It was cute. The regulars I had who had children, I'd sit at the table with them and color.

However, I love children and welcome any child who wants to come up to me and would feel that comfortable to give me a hug. But, it may be different because I am a woman and maybe its not so odd if they go up to a woman.

A friend of mine, her little girl thought that every woman was "mommy" but not that every guy was "daddy"
                        Last edited by friendofjimmyk; 10-27-2006, 12:17 PM. Reason: took out reference to objection to thread title
                        "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Little children adore me. They'll come up to me and want to be picked up. I look at their parents, and if they nod or say "Go ahead" I pick them up, give them a small twirl, then put them back on the ground.

Fun is had by all.
                          Unseen but seeing
                          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                          3rd shift needs love, too
                          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Incidents like these only happened when I worked in a restaurant.

At a sushi joint I worked at we had this middle aged couple come in with their adopted daughter who was about 4 or 5. One night they came in the restaurant without me knowing. While I was busy refilling an ice bucket we had on a counter nearby the seating area their daughter greets me with a firm slap on the behind. She was just being silly but it took me a moment to realize it was her doing it and not an adult.

About a month ago I served a family of 8 whose 1 or 2 year old son stretched his arms out to me so I could carry him. I was told that was the first time he's done it to someone other than his parents.

I've also been offered cheerios, noodles, crumbs, and etc by toddlers who wanted to share their dinner with me.

I guess I give off the "I like kids" vibe.

Comment

Well, I've never had a stranger's kid come up and hug me. But my nieces and nephews do like to use me like a jungle gym. So I guess a stranger seeing 3 girls climbing all over me would take a second look.
                              I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Working...
                              X