X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post

Me: Hi there, what can I get you?
    SC: Pint of John Smiths.
    Ahhh.. one of the things I miss most about touring the UK.. the pubs. You can get Boddington's almost anywhere here in the US but John Smith's is much harder to come by for whatever reason.

CW: Yeah, but look on the bright side. At least one of them is dead.
    haha.. I laughed out loud at that one.
    I will never go to school!

Comment

When my grandfather passed away, after the funeral we held a wake in his honour. The drink of choice was the wine he used to make, poured into small wine glasses, a little larger than a shot glass.

This was intentional. A full glass of this stuff was likely to embalm you.
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth crashhelmet View Post
        Drinking to celebrate the life of whomever passed away is a good and healthy thing, like an Irish Wake. Drinking to drown yourself in your sorrows is not.
        As the descendant of Irish folk, I heartily agree. When I go, I have told everyone to recycle whatever they can, compost the rest and go have a round in the local pub.

Comment

I have to agree with BJ.

I want it to be a celebration of life! And someone better put a nice cold one in my cold dead hand.
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

When I die I want to be propped up at the bar with a tap in my hand, and everyone has to push my thumb down to get beer, after that they throw my body on a bonfire and toast marshmallows.
            If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

I don't think there is anything wrong with drinking after a funeral, especially to toast/celebrate one's memory. But, that did not give that SC the right to speak to you like that. What an ass.

Comment

CW: They are regular customers, and they are always arseholes. But we normally get them in seperately. So basically we've got all of our worst customers in one group.
                Me: Oh great!

OK, that was harsh, but an evil part of me laughed.
                Hehe that is wonderful! it reminds me of the time when the evil part of me laughed with the brat that had been opening toys in the toy aisle, throwing things, and wheeling around in those fucking little "Heelies" (after I told him not to) tripped and fell. Right on his face. He had a bloody nose... but I still laughed.... felt like an ass but I think it was deserved.
                "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
                -Red

Comment

Thanks a lot, I just had coffee coming out of my nose. Now it hurts.
                  Last edited by Ree; 03-06-2009, 01:37 AM. Reason: Fixing quote tags

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                    Erm, did you mean AFTER a funeral?

I do agree that drinking is probably a bad idea when you're already upset, so yeah, during right after a funeral isn't the best idea. Except if there's a memorial dinner afterwards, in which case a toast to the deceased's memory would certainly not be out of order (though i think that is be better done with a fine wine rather than beer).
                    actually there is a thing called a fun funeral its basically a party with a corpse.
                    I am not really important enough to have a funny quote yet.

Comment

Quoth Keiara View Post
                      Not sure I could handle working in a bar. Being female I'd probably get groped or something.
                      Having bartended, you probably would have. It's all in how you handle it. The one guy that tried it with me got his fingers squeezed so hard he squealed like a little girl.

Back on topic, I think drinking after funerals depends on the character of the person who died. Some friends of mine who were brothers both committed suicide (two years apart), and were big drinkers. The only way to get through those two after-funeral gatherings was to be sloshed.

On the other hand, after my grandmothers funeral, I felt like drinking, but I know she would not have approved so I didn't.

Either way, the guy in the OP's story had NO business talking to him like that. I understand grief is hard, but he just asked a simple question. No need to go off like that.
                      "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                        I want people to drink at my funeral. I want everyone to get absolutely trashed. 5 drink minimum. Why, you ask? For them to drink everything I never did. And after everyone's sloshed, they break out the crazy bouncy castle, and the wiffle bats.
                        And you'll be stuffed with candy and filling the role of a pinata...

Comment

Quoth Hobbs View Post
                          Ditto. All of me laughed

Also, I wouldn't mind one last 'drink' to send off a beloved.

"Hail the victorious dead," and all that...
                          What you do is you take all that crap the friend/loved one/whoever gave you over the years (that painting you hated but hung to please them, the tacky sweater you 'swore' that you'd wear etc.).
                          and pawn it. then you have one last drink on them
                          Common sense... So rare it's a goddamn superpower.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                            I want people to drink at my funeral. I want everyone to get absolutely trashed. 5 drink minimum. Why, you ask? For them to drink everything I never did. And after everyone's sloshed, they break out the crazy bouncy castle, and the wiffle bats.
                            Quoth Becks View Post
                            Broomjockey, PLEASE don't take this the wrong way, but...

...now I look forward to your funeral.

and I will deliver the pizza for the party out of uniform of course as I want to partake of the drunken festivities
                            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Anybody else wondering if this is definitive proof that SC's run in the family??

We need to start funding research to target the SC gene. Phsychologists already have the market cornered on behavioral development, let's go genetic and eradicate any potentiality of it starting there.
                              Part Angel Part Sadist

Comment

After my uncle's funeral where I delivered the eulogy - I bloody well needed a drink - and we toasted his life, got onto the karaoke (he was big on that) and celebrated his life (sensibly).

I have a bar tab in my will

Comment

Working...
                                X