This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Godwin's law of petrol

Last night, as usually happens on Wednesday, the price of petrol went up. (It follows a cycle, goes up on Wednesday night and slowly comes down over the following week. On Wednesday night we make maybe 5 cents per liter, on Wednesday morning we lose about the same amount).

Anyway, I was changing the price board when this car pulls up next to me.

SC: "What are you doing? How can the price suddenly go up? That's profiteering!" etc. etc.
    Me: "All I know about pricing is that I change it when I get told to."
    SC: "Just following orders, huh? You know most Nazis used that as their defence." *drives off*

So now we have proof that the customer is always wrong! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

ETA: I want to make a forum that automatically adds "Anyone who disagrees with me is Hitler" to the end of every post.
    Last edited by edible_hat; 02-25-2009, 11:04 PM.

Hey, it really DID end that discussion.
    "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Haha, good post.

My first automotive job was as a pump jockey. I only worked there about 2 months, and fortunately not during a period of spiralling gas prices.

That notwithstanding, even working part time, about once a week, some old man would start RANTING to me about how we should have told those [racial slur] to go pound sand so we would still be paying 38c/ gallon... as if!

It wasn't until my next job that a SC invoked Godwin's Law.
      Suckiness is reinforced up OR down at every transaction. Accepting BS makes them worse for all of us; firm fairness trains them to suck less.

Comment

We have people sort of attempting that at my coffee shop. Even had a guy claim Hitler was the CEO of it.

Comment

...I think my brain just vapor-locked. That was her best argument?

How did Godwin's Law escape from Usenet?
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
            How did Godwin's Law escape from Usenet?
            Same way all memes do, by way of 4Chan.
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Not that I would compare it to the nazi's, but I was wondering how petrol went up 17 cents a litre over night.
              If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

Don't you know that raising gas prices is on the same level as genocide?
                It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
                -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

Quoth Nyoibo View Post
                  Not that I would compare it to the nazi's, but I was wondering how petrol went up 17 cents a litre over night.
                  Partially because Gas companies are very competitive, what with posted prices on the street corner. Because of this competition prices aften slowly go down, often below the cost of the product, and very few companies want to be the first to raise their prices (and loss the market share by doing so) as a result when the cost of the product goes up and the companies follow suit, they are not just raising their prices to match the increase product cost, but also to restore their margin to be above their losses.

ie if they are selling gas at 5 cents below cost and the cost goes up 5 cents, then the stations will have to raise their prices 15 cents in order to be making 5 cents profit.

Comment

Today I was doing my errands before the impending 10 inches of snow would arrive....

At this one intersection, there is a Kwik Trip and a Holiday. Right across the street from one another.

Gas went up today to $1.97. Kwik Trip was at $1.97, but Holiday was still at $1.92. Guess where all the cars were?

Nope. They were at Kwik Trip. At the pumps.

Kwik Trip may be bigger and have slightly cheaper smokes and beer and lots more snacks, but 5 cents a gallon? For me, that's a LOT saved if I fill up completely. Fucking idiots.

If we're thinking of ways to save money in these hard times, picking a gas station that still hasn't raised prices yet is a smart idea. Every bit helps!
                    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
                      SC: "Just following orders, huh? You know most Nazis used that as their defence." *drives off*
                      The next time you see him in the store, you could casually mention how he's collaborating with/funding fascists.....

Be sure to give him a crisp Nazi salute and a hearty Sieg Heil, too.

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post

Gas went up today to $1.97. Kwik Trip was at $1.97, but Holiday was still at $1.92. Guess where all the cars were?

Nope. They were at Kwik Trip. At the pumps.
                        I might be able to explain that (and I'll do my best to do so in a non fratching way). It could be a matter of politics. I know quite a few people who will pay whatever the price is for Sinclair because they're Utah based, I also know people who refuse to use Chevron because they donate to HRC (or alternatively will pay whatever the price is for Chevron because they donate to HRC... you can guess which group I'm in ). For me I've never had to put more than 10 gallons in, so at most it's costing me an extra 50cents to go somewhere 5 cents more, hell, even 20 gallons, which I doubt many people are going to need more than means an extra dollar to fill.
                        If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

I only have a 10 gallon tank....but I will save money in any way I can.

There are no Sinclairs or Chevrons around here. Maybe in the more civilized and densly populated areas in Wisconsin, but around here it's all Kwik Trips, Holidays BPs and Mobils....one Mobil is an Exxon....that's it.
                          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I know that over here people will often stay with one company (Namely a petrol company known as BP) over here because it is one of VERY FEW companies where you can claim "reward points" on petrol purchases, and use the reward points towards various things (including fuel vouchers, not surprisingly)
                            Violets are blue,
                            Roses are red,
                            I bequeath to thee...
                            A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Quoth Nyoibo View Post
                              Because it was at the low part of the cycle and it was time to go to the high end of the cycle. We went from losing 10 cents per liter to making 7 cents per liter. Over the following week it will come down and by Wednesday morning we'll be losing 10 cents again.

Comment

Working...
                              X