Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"That's Too Technical For Me", "Don'tbreakitdon'tbreakit!", And Cigarette Bumfuckery

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "That's Too Technical For Me", "Don'tbreakitdon'tbreakit!", And Cigarette Bumfuckery

(Irv, I wanted to say I <3 the word "bumfuckery" now since I picked it up from your thread about barstools. Thanks )

It's the annual CMN drive at Aid of Rite and I'm so excited. The Children's Miracle Network is basically to raise money for different children's hospitals around the country. Patrons can buy paper balloons to donate to the drive and in addition the different stores hold other fundraisers to support the drive, like a fancy dinner, a motorcycle rally, etc. We're doing a raffle (selling off different beer related items, one person randomly drawn from all the stores in NH will win a motorcycle, whatever store sells the most will win some other prize and two people from each district of the chain will win a trip to Disney World, I think) and we're also doing a picture day with Clifford the Big Red Dog. But there's an intra store competition among the associates, whoever sells the most balloons will win a prize. I came *thisclose* to winning it last year.

Anywho, with that backstory.

That's An Additional Cost of $15.99

I brought in my mini gumball machine this year, 25 cents will get people a handful of M&Ms. I've owned said gumball machine for less than one month since I brought it for my own personal use but decided to bring it in for this drive. It is a vintage one, real glass and very heavy. Because it's small, it doesn't vend too much so people tilt it forward to get more. One idiot nearly broke it by tipping it forward too much while I've got my hands up to my mouth saying in a high pitched voice "No no no don't tilt it DON'TTILTITOMGnodon't it'sgonnabreak!!!" It didn't smash, but the next person who ignores the sign I taped up and breaks it WILL owe me for it, even if they do the whole EW screeching act of "Well I'M too PRECIOUS for paying YOU for YOUR thing that I broke!".

"That's Too Technical For Me"

I sold quite a few balloons today ( ) and when I was asking one guy if he's like to sign the balloon, he said, "Oh. Ah. No, Tha-that's too technical for me." He was paying with credit and the back of his card was signed. Since WHEN did writing become too technical for you, sir? Maybe if you typed in your name? Sorry I don't have my handy dandy typewriter thing for you to use. Oh wait, that would be too technical for you, too.

"Whatchoo MEAN Yew Don't Have It?"

Due to some ongoing conflict with our cigarette and frozen food vendor, we've been out of stock on vital items and cigarettes, like frozen burritoes, TV dinners, ice cream, Parliaments, Marlboros of any sort, Camels of any sort, Quality and others so that management have to go out and buy things at other stores to replenish our stock. Anywho, I'm a bit tired of people giving me the stinkeye when I tell them we don't have X food or Y cigarette with none in the back and giving me an even bigger stinkeye when I told them we won't have any cigarette deals in for a while.
    Last edited by ralerin; 03-30-2009, 02:18 AM.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Quoth ralerin
    we're also doing a picture day with Clifford the Big Red Dog
    where did you find a dog big enough? i want one
    To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

my blog --> http://www.hendrices.com/joesblog/
    my brother's blog --> http://www.hendrices.com/ryansblog/

Comment

Quoth ralerin View Post
      Anywho, I'm a bit tired of people giving me the stinkeye when I tell them we don't have X food or Y cigarette with none in the back and giving me an even bigger stinkeye when I told them we won't have any cigarette deals in for a while.
      All you get is the stinkeye? When I worked at the Drug Store From Hell, I used to have people screaming at me if I was out of their precious brand of cancer sticks. I wasn't even responsible for ordering the damned things (otherwise, I would've ordered twice as many Marlboros as we normally did; yes, they would've sold!)
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I wonder how many cigs you would sell if you posted a price three times the normal with a 66% off sale going on... permanently.

I've got I$ on that you would sell more

Why is it that people believe that every store even remotely related to their needs should have every single item under the sun that in any small way applies? as if the mystical 'back room' is an alternate reality pocket with infinite storage capabilities...
        I like things that go *bang!*

Comment

Quoth ralerin View Post

That's An Additional Cost of $15.99

I brought in my mini gumball machine this year, 25 cents will get people a handful of M&Ms. I've owned said gumball machine for less than one month since I brought it for my own personal use but decided to bring it in for this drive. It is a vintage one, real glass and very heavy. Because it's small, it doesn't vend too much so people tilt it forward to get more. One idiot nearly broke it by tipping it forward too much while I've got my hands up to my mouth saying in a high pitched voice "No no no don't tilt it DON'TTILTITOMGnodon't it'sgonnabreak!!!" It didn't smash, but the next person who ignores the sign I taped up and breaks it WILL owe me for it, even if they do the whole EW screeching act of "Well I'M too PRECIOUS for paying YOU for YOUR thing that I broke!".
          Take it back home. It's personal property, and leaving it near Jackholes is practically asking for them to destroy it.

Comment

*curtsies

Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Wingates_Hellsing View Post
              I wonder how many cigs you would sell if you posted a price three times the normal with a 66% off sale going on... permanently.

I've got I$ on that you would sell more
              More would definently be sold. I bought a bed a few months back (been sleeping on a futon for the last 3 years, my back has had enough :P). Anyways the Sams clubs here were all going out of business so they were having 'massive sales'.

So... I checked the price for a queen sized bed BEFORE the sale. and I wait a week for the sale to kick in. I go back. There is a GIANT sign on almost every item in the place screaming 'sale sale SAAAAAALE!'.

the little numbers under the giant screaming letters however have NOT changed.
              so yes for their furniture anyways their 'sale' price was 100% identical to their 'non sale' price. yet they were sold out of EVERYTHING.

So yea it just goes to show if it says sale people will shell out cash for it.

Bought a nicer bed from sears anyways lol. so my back is happy w/me now :P.
              Last edited by protege; 07-29-2009, 07:19 PM. Reason: quote tag :)
              Common sense... So rare it's a goddamn superpower.

Comment

Quoth Salted Grump View Post
                Take it back home. It's personal property, and leaving it near Jackholes is practically asking for them to destroy it.
                Yea, leave it at home. I agree. It's YOUR personal property, therefore not your works problem if it's broken so I dont think you'd have much of an argument if some jackass broke it. (Hopefully if it does get broken it'd be by a genuine accident and whoever did it would be kind enough to give you the cash, but don't count on it.)
                Common sense... So rare it's a goddamn superpower.

Comment

Quoth MergedLoki View Post
                  So yea it just goes to show if it says sale people will shell out cash for it.
                  A boutique grocery store I used to work at did this all the time. Customers would notice it (sometimes), and I'd just cheerfully point them to the managers...When I called them on it once myself, I was told, "Well, yeah, the items are on SALE but they're not actually discounted"...
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                    "Well, yeah, the items are on SALE but they're not actually discounted"...
                    Technically correct. After all, having something "for sale" simply means "available for purchase." Still kinda underhanded. =\
                    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth MergedLoki View Post
                      Anyways the Sams clubs here were all going out of business so they were having 'massive sales'.
                      There was a news program of some sort about this not too long ago. Seems to be fairly common among liquidators to not just leave some prices the same, but to actually raise them during a "Going Out Of Business" sale. caveat emptor.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                        There was a news program of some sort about this not too long ago.
                        There was the thing about Circuit City going out of sale, and the prices were the same or higher. Is that what you're thinking of?
                        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                          There was the thing about Circuit City going out of sale, and the prices were the same or higher. Is that what you're thinking of?
                          Yeah that happened with Circuit City they post sale signs based off of prices like the MSRP, which stores sold well below to begin with. But pretty much all liquidators do it - same thing happened with CompUSA and Linens n' Things.

Comment

I used to know someone that worked for Mervyn's and just a bit before they have a big sale, they raise the prices on everything that's going on sale, so that the sale prices are about the same (or sometimes higher) than the non-sale prices were.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                              I believe it was, yes. Only caught bits and pieces, but it seemed a pretty cutthroat business. (Liquidating)

Comment

Working...
                              X