Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The single dumbest question of all time....it's Upstairs Man!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The single dumbest question of all time....it's Upstairs Man!

I have told this story twice on these boards, but the other day in chat I told it again for some people who had not seen it. So I am presenting it one more time in its own thread for the edification, enlightenment, and entertainment of any who missed it...and because, frankly, I thought the way I told it the other day in chat was my best telling of it yet. Being somewhat of a writer, that is important to me.

Okay, then....break out the popcorn and pull up a chair. Time for the story of Upstairs Man.

I used to work in a chain restaurant, one that has a bunch of red and white stripes in their logo, if you know what I mean. In this particular restaurant, we had three levels, though not three stories. When you walked in, you were on the main level. A few steps up, and you were on the bar level. And a few steps up from there, you were on the upper level. None of these levels are separated by big walls, and you can pretty much see the vast majority of the restaurant, and all three levels, from any point in the restaurant.

So far, so simple.

So, one day, I am standing by one of the server computers, which is right by a set of stairs that leads up to a landing by the bar level, and then after that there are a few more stairs that lead to the upper level. A "gentleman" walks up to me. He seems intelligent. He seems sober. He seems to not be suffering from any developmental disabilities.

He looks at me, a drink in his hand (but again, seeming rather lucid and sober), in full view of the stairs, and asks me, "Excuse me...do you have an upstairs?"

I look at him like he has sprouted flippers from his nostrils.

"Um, yes." I say. I turn. I look pointedly at the upper level, plainly visible from where we are. I turn back to him.
    Unphased, he then asks me, "Where is it?"

Me: Blink blink. Stare.
    I am beginning to think he DOES have flippers growing out of his nostrils.

Again, I turn towards the PLAINLY VISIBLE stairs and upper level, point to it, and say, "Um....right there."
    He then says the last thing I expected him to say.

"How do I get there?"

Nostrils? Flippers? He'd be so lucky.

I look him dead in the eye and say, "Um....you walk...up....the stairs."
    He looks at me and, without missing a beat, says very politely "Thank you!"...and walks away. NOT up the stairs, but back to wherever in the restaurant he came from.

I stood there, trying (and failing) not to get stupider as I thought about it.
    But every time I think about it, I do, in fact, get stupider.
    It actually PHYSICALLY hurts my head every time I think about this guy.
    After 20 years in the food service industry, I was convinced that there was no one single Stupidest Question Ever, and that I had heard just about the dumbest things I could ever here.

I was wrong on both counts.

But Upstairs Man, who seemed to have nothing wrong with his vision, asked me the Dumbest Thing I Have Ever Been Asked.
    And that is saying a lot.

If anyone ever tops Upstairs Man (a feat I doubt is possible), I am not sure I will survive the mental breakdown sure to follow. It was so stupid, I literally just stood there afterwards in complete disbelief, forgetting whatever it was I was doing at the time.

This is not a War Story, as it is so short, but for sheer stupidity, I will put Upstairs Man up against ANY War Story.

Here endeth Uncle Jester's Story Hour.
    Last edited by Jester; 11-12-2006, 05:26 PM.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Thats on the same level as:

"If it wasn't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
      This may not be a War Story, as it is so short, but for sheer stupidity, I will put Upstairs Man up against ANY War Story.
      Good yarn, but not even close to being a war story, in my opinion.

In fact, I find it tacky when people try to nominate their own stories by hinting of that type of status for it, or posting that they think it's war story worthy, but that's just my opinion.
      Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

But Ree, my friend, I was doing no such thing. Sorry if you took it as such. All I said was that for sheer stupidity, this one can hold its own against any War Story. I even changed the wording slightly to dispel any such illusions people may have.

I will be the first to admit that this is not a War Story, and that I have other stories that are more along the lines of War Stories. This is just, to me, the absolute zenith of utter mindlessness.

Besides, I don't hint. It's not my nature. Hell, I am about as subtle as a jackhammer.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
          But Ree, my friend, I was doing no such thing. Sorry if you took it as such... <snip>
          ...I even changed the wording slightly to dispel any such illusions people may have.

I will be the first to admit that this is not a War Story, and that I have other stories that are more along the lines of War Stories. <snip>
          ...Besides, I don't hint. It's not my nature. Hell, I am about as subtle as a jackhammer.
          Yes, well I was trying to be diplomatic.
          Subtleness has never been a word I would associate with you.

You may not have been trying to imply anything when you said, "This is not a War Story, as it is so short, but for sheer stupidity, I will put Upstairs Man up against ANY War Story," but in my opinion, the very fact that a member mentions War Story when they post, signals to me that the only reason for posting any story is to try and achieve a 15 minutes of fame moment in the spotlight, and that cheapens the whole point of the site, especially if the member take creative license and embellishes the post.

I am not accusing you of that at all. Perhaps it was a misunderstanding or a misreading between the lines on my part, but it's just something that has been concerning me for the past little while.

It's just my opinion, of course, as a person, and not as a mod, and it does not reflect the opinion of anyone in management.
          I do not speak on anyone's behalf, and I hope I have not unduly offended or cause you embarrassment by making that statement.
          Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post

OH MY GOD! Where is that from? Where have I heard that before?
            "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
              OH MY GOD! Where is that from? Where have I heard that before?

Lewis Black.

Comment

Wonderfull to find another Lewis Black fan on the boards.

So, have you been to the end of the world yet?
                I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

Quoth Bliss View Post
                  So, have you been to the end of the world yet?
                  I know I haven't because I've never been to Texas

Comment

I think you mean Newark, New Jersey.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Lewis Black.
                      YES! Thank you! I was racking my brain trying to remember where I had heard that!!!! I love Lewis Black!
                      "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth Bliss View Post
                        Wonderfull to find another Lewis Black fan on the boards.
                        I like Lewis Black, however his last HBO special was pretty crappy. Not even close to past specials.
                        I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Jester, do you think that the guy was owning up to a bet or something? I mean, I cannot believe that someone is actually that oblivous.

Comment

Matt, I honestly don't know what to think. I don't think it was a bet or a dare or anything. I am an excellent judge of people, and usually in a bet or dare kind of situation, unless they were a great actor, there would be that laugh or giggle underneath the surface trying to come out. This man seemed genuine with his questions, and as I said, seemed alert, lucid, sober, and not otherwise impaired. I have no idea if he was drunker than he seemed, stupider than he seemed, or what. I quickly stopped trying to figure out what his deal was, though, as doing so only resulted in headaches for me.

All that being said, when it comes down to it, I honestly believe he was either just that stupid or had a "just that stupid" moment right then. I am hoping for the latter, as we have all had our moments in Stupidia, but I fear it may be ther former.

Still A Customer."

Comment

I have had 3 Most Stupid Customer Questions! Two are very similar to Upstairs Man.

The first two are from when I worked in the Ents dept. The last is from when I worked in Books.

1) I am standing in front of a VAST wall with all our Chart dvd's/cd's on it. The wall is long and tall and absolutely COVERED in dvd's. There are HUGE POS signs hanging from the ceiling and stuck to the wall to tell you that you are in the entertainment department and that dvd's are here! I was actually putting out the chart dvd's at the time (rearranging them to their correct places). I had at least 5 stacks of dvd's piled on the floor right at my feet. All around me are our shelves and shelves of range dvd's (not in chart). There are about 10 aisles of range. You get the picture.....DVD'S EVERYWHERE!
                              This lady comes up to me and says "excuse me". I turn around, so I am now facing the lady and she is facing the DVD wall.....and she says "do you sell dvd's here"? I say "yes" and she says "oh, can you show me where they are, please"?
                              I turn around and glance behind me.....she stares at me until I say "right here" and point to the wall only inches away from her face. She was happy that I showed her where they were. Hmmmm.....

2) I am standing at the entertainment counter with piles of dvd'sand cd's around me. This is the same department as before....as I said, there are entertainment products everywhere. This man comes up to me and says "Excuse me, do you have an Entertainment department in this shop"? Again, I am bewildered...I answer "yes, we do". He smiles and says "can you tell me where your dvd's and cd's are, cause I have looked everywhere and can't find them" I said they are right here" and motioned in front of me...he says "where"? I actually said "all around you" and swept my hand over the department. He sais "oh..." and then left to find whatever it washe wanted to find"

3) In Books, we can search for a book if you have the title, author, ISBN or if you have an idea of what it is about, sometimes we may know what you are looking for.

I have had 5 people now come in and ask me the same question "I am looking for a book, I heard about if from (television/radio/newspaper). I forgot who the author was, or what it was called. I am not sure what it looks like but it is about (insert something like "birds") or it has the word (insert something like "Tide") in the title. Can you help me find it"? Or they have no idea what it is even about....which is double fun!

Hahahahahaha! Thing is.....they are either angry or shocked that I actually can't help them find this mystery book!

People are idiots!
                              Last edited by WHShit; 11-14-2006, 12:28 AM.
                              "If it offends one person, it effects everyone".....me, on the PC world in which we dwell.

Comment

Working...
                              X