Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is NOT my fault so quit trying to pin it on me. (ranty)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is NOT my fault so quit trying to pin it on me. (ranty)

I am about ready to kill my customer right now. AUGH.

In addition to making the fursuit stuff, I also make custom My Little Ponies. It's more of a hobby than a job, really, I only get a couple of orders a year, and they don't usually run more than $50 apiece, so it doesn't exactly pay the bills. But it's fun. (The making ponies part anyhow. I'm starting to not like the taking commissions part. :P )

So I got an order for a particular pony. The customer said "I do want them in the same style as my Trowa pony, which means skin colored body with sculpted clothes on."

That's a direct quote.

She did not include a photo of said Trowa pony. (And don't ask me what a Trowa is, I don't know. An anime character, presumably, since that's what she wanted for this pony.)

She did include artwork of the character she wanted. But it did not show what the pony would look like, only what the character I was making looked like in his anime.

Today I sent her the photos of the finished pony. And she replies with the most passive-aggressive message I've ever heard, going on about how lovely the pony is, and it's great, and I'm such a nice artist but she's so very sad that I screwed it up, and I did it all wrong, and it's not what she wanted... because it's a Generation 3 (modern pony, the kind they sell in stores right now) and not a Generation 1 (pony from the 80s.) So it won't match her collection.

I reply that I'm very sorry, but she never mentioned the generation, I made her exactly what she asked for.

And her response is that we're both to blame, her for not mentioning, but also me for not going to the pony forum, looking up her Trowa pony, noticing what generation it was and making what she really wanted.

What.
    The.
    Freak.

I made exactly what she asked for and it's somehow my fault because I didn't go do research that I was never told I needed to do? I responded that I had made exactly what she'd asked for, so I am not taking any responsibility for this. And I get back a NOVEL about how she was trying to be nice, and she was trying to be polite, but it's all my fault and she hates the pony and doesn't want it.

GAH.

I AM NOT A MIND READER. I made EXACTLY what she asked me for and it is NOT my fault in ANY way that she failed to mention what flipping generation she wanted!

And all this over a lousy forty bucks.

I have yet to have a good experience with pony commissions, I think I'm swearing off doing any more, these people are all crazy SCs.
    Last edited by spark; 05-18-2009, 07:54 PM.
    The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

Trowa is a character in Gundam Wing.

It's one of the lousier Gundam series, if that makes you feel better.

So are you making her pay up anyway?
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

aww. hugs. don't let her mistake get to you. may i suggest in the future and may this help that before working on it ask for specifics. as in as MUCH as you can get.
      on another note your work is AWESOME

Comment

Boy is she stupid.
        The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

She paid half down before I started. I never work without at least some payment. (So I guess she's out a pony, and I'm out half my money. :P )

And I ASKED for details. She sent me details about the character. Never mentioned the pony generation. G3 is the default. 90% of the ponies in my custom gallery are G3s. G1s are more expensive, harder to find, more effort to buy, and some people say they shouldn't be customized, since there are no new ones being made, so when you customize one you're destroying a collector's item. So G3 is the default assumption unless somebody says otherwise.
          Last edited by spark; 05-18-2009, 08:47 PM.
          The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Comment

well her loss, of time and funds.

Comment

If she decides not to pay for the rest of it and you're stuck with a modified pony, I have one magical word for you...

...eBay. Someone will want it.
              Enjoy my latest stupid quest for immortality. http://1001plus.blogspot.com/

Comment

I found these about a week ago. Did you do them? I love the My Little He-Man!

http://tstbob.blogspot.com/2009/04/t...ustomised.html
                "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                  I found these about a week ago. Did you do them? I love the My Little He-Man!

http://tstbob.blogspot.com/2009/04/t...ustomised.html
                  I am speechless. How strange and yet strangley cool.
                  "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Hee. No, I didn't make those. Most of them are by Spippo, who is something of a pony making celebrity. (And a lot of pony people hate her, actually. Which is very sad, she's an awesome artist. Sour grapes and all that, she's the first pony artist to really get recognition outside of the pony making world.)

Anyhow, my ponies can be found here: http://www.sparkcostumes.com/artwork...s.php?album=12

The first one there is the pony in question. I haven't done a proper photo shoot of it because right now I'm still too pissed off to want to.

Comment

Wow, those are pretty. I love the ones with the big wings!
                      Random Doctor Who quote:
                      "I'm sorry about your coccyx, too, Miss Grant."

I has a gallery: deviantART gallery.
                      I also has a "funny" blog: Aqu Improves Her Craft

Comment

Quoth LingualMonkey View Post
                        ...eBay. Someone will want it.
                        I agree. I dabble with customizing Breyer horses (I haven't completed anything yet though) and some of the ones on eBay are gorgeous.

Actually, eBay is a good way to get yourself known too (if you wanted to, anyway). I wanted a custom Breyer unicorn for my wedding (it was a medieval wedding and I wanted a pretty unicorn, dammit!) done with a particular model that I wanted (Huckleberry Bey for any collector's here).

I searched eBay and basically used their listings as like a gallery, seeing how good the artist was and what they liked to do. I liked this one lady's horses and she obviously liked to do fantasy stuff, so I e-mailed her and she was more than happy to do what I wanted. He turned out breathtakingly gorgeous, exceeded my expectations and she hardly charged me anything for him and didn't take her long at all to do it.

In fact, that's how my wedding dress came about as well. I searched through the sellers who made medieval dresses and put out a couple of requests and one e-mailed me back and we went from there. I was very happy with how that turned out as well. In fact, it's now in the "line" of dresses she makes. I just have the prototype

I know doing that is risky, but I bet the sellers felt the same way too ....
                        This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

*nod* I'm pretty sure I'll find a home for him, one way or another.

I'm just annoyed at the passive-aggressive crap this customer is giving me.

If she'd just admitted that she goofed up by neglecting to give me an important detail about what she wanted I probably would have gone ahead and made her a replacement.

Instead she's trying to emotionally manipulate me into doing what she wants, without her having to give me an apology or admit to having been wrong. She just now sent me a message that's all full of "sigh" "I'm so sad" "this is so disappointing" and then ends with "I guess you can just keep my money and the pony because it's just not what I asked for."

I'd bet you just about anything that this is meant to make me feel guilty, and that she expects me to go "Oh, I couldn't do that, here's your money back."

But while I'm quite sure that's what she wants, what she said was that I could keep the pony and the money both. So I'm just going to take her at her word.

Comment

Quoth aqutalion View Post
                            Wow, those are pretty. I love the ones with the big wings!
                            Thank you! It's a pretty fun little hobby.

Comment

Wonderful ponies! I love the dragon ones! If I had $50 I'd commission one
                              I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

Working...
                              X