This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The scheming, freeloading couples

In South Florida, I've seen my share of people who will do anything to get out of paying a restaurant bill, or even the tip to the waiter or waitress. Down in South Broward, we had an incident at a Chili's a few months ago where an older couple went in and ordered steaks. Both later on started complaining that the steaks were not cooked to their satisfaction, so they demanded the manager. The manager politely offered to cook them each a new steak to their liking and "no extra charges would apply". Nope, that was not good enough. They not only wanted new steaks, they also wanted their entire meal for free for the inconvenience. When the manager politely refused, the husband got up and punched the manager, and his wife was beating him with her purse. Both were arrested and charged with assault, but I never heard the outcome. (Good for the manager, standing his ground!)

In an Outback in West Palm, I witnessed a few years back two men, looked like father and son, doing the same thing. They accepted to have their steaks cooked to their liking, but while they were waiting for the new steaks, the two continued chomping away at the "undercooked" ones they didn't want to pay for. What gives there? Later on, after the check came and they still had to pay for the meal, they got "to go" boxes for the new steaks they couldn't finish eating.

It goes on and on though. My father also witnessed a couple in North Georgia, about 25 to 30 years of age. The wife went to the ladies room, then a few minutes later, the husband went to the men's room. Both never returned to their table after finishing their meal, and my father saw the wife coming out of the ladies room, get into her husband's car, and leave, the check unpaid. Their waitress then came over to my dad's table and asked if he saw the couple that was at the table, and my dad said he saw the husband going to the men's room, then leaving, and a moment later the wife leaving. Her response was, "Well, someone did it to us again, fifth time this week."

I'm pretty convinced that this "we're going to get our meals for free" thing is not just related to one person. Couples, like the husband and wife, mother and daughter, and/or father and son duo, I think, plan these type of things before they even get in the car and later walk into the restaurant. To them, it's an outing like going to the park. As in the case of the last couple that just ate and ran, one day they'll have to install security cameras in all restaurants, plus have camera's in the parking lot to get license plate numbers of those who have getaway cars waiting outside for them.

This is why anymore, us normal people only go out to eat as a special treat because of high restaurant prices. The reason they're going up is because we have to pay for scum of the Earth people like these mentioned here.

Ah, the old Dine n dash, chew n screw routine.

When I worked at the sports bar/restaurant in Cleveland, they actually made the servers pay for incidents where this happened even though they were not required to do so. It was an incentive so that you kept an eye on your station. Which is not always possible...when I moved to Texas, they did not require the server to pay.
    "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
      Ah, the old Dine n dash, chew n screw routine.

When I worked at the sports bar/restaurant in Cleveland, they actually made the servers pay for incidents where this happened even though they were not required to do so. It was an incentive so that you kept an eye on your station. Which is not always possible...when I moved to Texas, they did not require the server to pay.
      That's against the law. I'm a former waiter and no way did I pay if someone dined and dashed. Manager was free to fire me for not keeping an eye on my tables but if he tried to dock my pay I'd report him to the department of labor.

That's like supermarkets making clerks and cashiers pay for shoplifting losses.

When I waited tables, we never comped meals once the food was eaten. If someone griped, you might get a free drink or desert. Or maybe not even that. That's why I'd pop over during the meal to ask if everything's fine. If you didn't say anything, my manager wasn't going to comp you a dinner because after I cleared the table to decided that your sirloin was medium rare, not rare the way you'd ordered it.

Amazing how many people think that once they've eaten, their complaints just might get the meal comped. I once had a 4-top ask to have the entire check comped because one diner thought his steak was underdone. Manager told him he didn't know what kind of scam they were trying to pull, but if they didn't pay the entire bill and leave, he'd call the cops. They paid and left. No tip, of course, but my manager reduced the bill a bit so that I still earned a (small) tip.

Just like you shouldn't be allowed to shop until you've worked retail, you shouldn't be allowed to eat out until you've waited tables.

Comment

Quoth greensinestro View Post

In an Outback in West Palm, I witnessed a few years back two men, looked like father and son, doing the same thing. They accepted to have their steaks cooked to their liking, but while they were waiting for the new steaks, the two continued chomping away at the "undercooked" ones they didn't want to pay for. What gives there? Later on, after the check came and they still had to pay for the meal, they got "to go" boxes for the new steaks they couldn't finish eating.
        I'm wondering why the wait staff didn't clear their plates as soon as they complained. If you claim you can't eat it, you SHOULDN'T be eating it.
        I'm not saying that employees are responsible for cheapskate behaviour, but there's a lot you can do to discourage it. Restaurants are too easily scammed like that, because taste in food is so subjective. SCs know this and abuse it.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
          I'm wondering why the wait staff didn't clear their plates as soon as they complained. If you claim you can't eat it, you SHOULDN'T be eating it.
          I'm not saying that employees are responsible for cheapskate behaviour, but there's a lot you can do to discourage it. Restaurants are too easily scammed like that, because taste in food is so subjective. SCs know this and abuse it.
          Agreed. At Cracker Barrel, we took their inedible food away, and they would have to wait for the recooked dinner. If their dinner included a potato or vegetable that was edible, you would still take the entire plate away and offer to bring the side item out while they waited for their food to be recooked or bring it out with the replacement food.
          Men have two emotions: Hungry and Horny. If you see him without an erection, make him a sandwich.

Comment

Ridiculous. We got drive-offs at the gas station so often they replaced the fake cameras with real ones and started reporting each one to the cops. They tried to make us pay for them, but a few of us politely informed them that wouldn't be happening due to the legal issues involved.

It was really funny when people would try that crap at Budget. They would dump the car at the airport, then call us to pick it up (that wasn't allowed). Invariably the car would be damaged or so filthy it required a clean-up fee, and of course there was always the "processing fee," to drive the car to the store from the airport, but they seemed to think that as long as they were on the plane by the time we saw it, we couldn't charge them. Nope, you signed a contract empowering us to charge you for whatever we want, buddy. You are out of luck. The worst thing is, if they would just wait a minute, we could get their insurance info and they wouldn't have to pay out of pocket for damages. But that's what you get when you try to get cute and scam people.
            Dips: The best karma happens when you let a jerk bash themselves senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

Comment

At the pizza place where I used to work, people would only get a refund for inedible food if they brought in the pizzas, intact, to the shop. Otherwise, they got nothing.

One day, when just me and my boss were in the shop (the driver was out on a delivery) this woman rang up to say that she'd previously ordered 4 pizzas and they were burnt. I'd taken the order, and I knew damn well they hadn't been burnt, cuz it's impossible to burn pizzas with a standard pizza oven. You'd have to shove them back in to burn them. Anyhoo, I trotted out the standard, "Bring them back and we'll either refund you or make you new ones", they tried at first to get me to send out the driver to pick them up, I told them he was out on a delivery and they grudgingly agreed to bring the pizzas back.

Now, I told my boss what was happening, his response was to wait and see. He also decided to sit in his office, telling me to call him out if there was a problem. Now, about 10 minutes later, the woman shows up with her husband and 4 pizza boxes. She demands a fresh order and a refund. I politely tell her it's either/or, she then says she wants fresh pizzas cuz apparently, her family are starving. Now, I go to take the boxes and her husband tries to stop me. "Ding ding!" Yep, that's the sound of alarm bells ringing.

I open the first box; nothing there cept for a smear of tomato sauce and a couple of crusts. Same for all of them. Well, the pizzas couldn't have been that bad, seeing they'd scoffed the lot. I told them that I couldn't give them a fresh order or a refund, cuz they'd eaten the pizzas. They then demanded to see my boss; I called him out, he told them the same thing. They huffed and puffed, saying that this was an outrage and they were never coming back. But sadly, they didn't keep their promise. XD
              People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
              My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Auto View Post
                That's against the law
                Yeah, I know...tell me about it, I am not sure how they got away with it.
                "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post

I open the first box; nothing there cept for a smear of tomato sauce and a couple of crusts. Same for all of them. Well, the pizzas couldn't have been that bad, seeing they'd scoffed the lot. I told them that I couldn't give them a fresh order or a refund, cuz they'd eaten the pizzas. They then demanded to see my boss; I called him out, he told them the same thing. They huffed and puffed, saying that this was an outrage and they were never coming back. But sadly, they didn't keep their promise. XD
                  I love it. They actually expected you all not to look in the boxes, just take their word? I'm surprised they didn't say something like, "The pizzas ran away after the delivery man left, so I want a refund."

Why do people think they're owed more than they deserve? Where does it say "Satisfacton guaranteed or your money back, plus a free charity gift?"
                  Last edited by Barefootgirl; 11-17-2006, 05:19 PM. Reason: No need to quote entire post

Comment

Exactly, just how do they think businesses are run?
                    My DeviantArt.

Comment

Exactly, just how do they think businesses are run?
                      Sadly, the SC's don't give a happy how the businesses are run. They're only after what they can get for themselves. Nobody else factors into the equation.

If the world blew up tomorrow, we'd be left with two species:

SC's and cockroaches.
                      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddess View Post
                        Sadly, the SC's don't give a happy how the businesses are run. They're only after what they can get for themselves. Nobody else factors into the equation.

SC's and cockroaches.
                        I think you're insulting cockroaches
                        ludo ergo sum

Comment

I open the first box; nothing there cept for a smear of tomato sauce and a couple of crusts. Same for all of them. Well, the pizzas couldn't have been that bad, seeing they'd scoffed the lot.
                          Don't forget the old "hair on the pizza" scam (we got a few of those), there would be two slices left and the offending "hair" would not match any of the employees working. Unfortunately, though, there's no arguing with the customer over that and we usually had to make them a new one.
                          This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Quoth DGoddess View Post

SC's and cockroaches.
                            I can see this happening when nuclear war finally happens... after the war's over and nothing's left, the SCs will be peering into the burnt out hulks of shops and saying "Are you open?" to piles of dust sitting on the counter.
                            My DeviantArt.

Comment

I can see this happening when nuclear war finally happens... after the war's over and nothing's left, the SCs will be peering into the burnt out hulks of shops and saying "Are you open?" to piles of dust sitting on the counter.
                              that's because they have to return that defective item and do it now!
                              look! it's ghengis khan!
                              Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Working...
                              X