This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passive-aggressive customers drive me nuts

I am a straightforward person. And I despise emotional manipulation. If you want something you ask for it, and if they don't want to do it you either negotiate to make it worth their while, or you do without it.

Some of my customers think otherwise. And I wish I had some way of knowing who they were before I took their commissions, so I could tell them to sod off. But no, it always comes out towards the end of the process, when there's no going back.

And right now I have a prime example, and I really kind of want to strangle him.

I'm making him a lion costume. I'm running behind schedule with it by quite a bit, but the convention he needs it for isn't until next month, so it's not like I've missed his important deadline. Last night I finished it and e-mailed him some photos. Well, turns out I got one teeny tiny detail wrong. Seems he wanted white ear interiors, and I made them pink.

So the conversation should have gone:

Him: Hey, I'd wanted white not pink here. Can you change it?
    Me: Sure, that's no problem.

How it actually went:

Him: Where did the pink come from?"
    Me: It came from the fact that animals have pink ear interiors?
    Him: Well... but my concept art doesn't show pink there. And, I mean I'm not unhappy, but I really kind of wanted white, and it's in the art, I don't know why you didn't see it. Having pink is just not artistic, it's drawing the eye away from my speshul markings (yes, he actually said that the problem was that it drew the eye away from the stupid neon blue eye markings his otherwise normal lion has.) And gosh, I know it's very late, I guess if you can't change it and still get this to me in time I'll just have to do it myself, I guess I can figure out some way to do it, but I really hoped that it would be white, so I'm kind of disappointed, you know?
    Me: *beat head against wall, imagine beating customer to a bloody pulp, reply* I can change it to white, that's no problem.

ARGH. So instead of just asking for what he wants, he has to give me guilt over this being late, and try to make me feel bad about how unhappy he is, AND very nearly calls me an idiot for not seeing the white on his concept art. Gee, that's because I was too busy going back and forth and back and forth with you about every single possible detail of that stupid picture. Seriously, you could spend hours reading the dozens and dozens of e-mails he's sent me about the details of this costume!

He's been one of the pickiest customers I've ever had, and this is the third time we've gone through this stupid "where did X come from?" ringamarole now. (And one of those times was him assuming I'm stupid and had forgotten what he wanted when I'd sent him an unfinished progress photo and it didn't have something he'd asked for. Twit. That's because I haven't added it yet, that's why I said it wasn't finished yet!) He's just incapable of being straightforward, he always has to do this round-about "I'm so disappointed and sad" guilt trip, and if this thing weren't done and I can ship it off tomorrow I'd be seriously considering refunding him his money and telling him to go take a hike.
    The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself. ~Cicero

See the fuzzy - http://bladespark.livejournal.com/

I was kind of hoping for a better post from you Spark. You've disappointed me.

"All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

triple the price.... then at least it is worthwhile.

Comment

I hate passive aggressive people in general, when they care customers its even worse!!!
        I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

The majority of the people I work with pull crap like that (except for Awesome Boss and Art Dept Girl). It's infuriating, inefficient, and makes me less likely to want to co-operate.

I feel your pain!
          "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

Hey Spark? Have you seen those new water-soluble fabric markers? I had a guy complaining about the color of some embroidery and they colored over the white with gold. Of course it came out when he sweated on it.
            Would it be very evil to recommend a pink marker on the lining of the ears, just for your own amusement? Yes, yes, revenge is bad, I know.

Sorry your customer is a poo.

Comment

My old boss was totally passive aggressive...drove us all nuts!
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

And that right there, ladies and gents, is why I don't own a custom costume business of my own. I commend you, Sparks. You are a braver soul than I.

Comment

I'm going to go out on a limb here and just make the observation that that guy has bigger issues than being passive aggressive.

Just sayin'.

Comment

Quoth Moggie View Post
                    Hey Spark? Have you seen those new water-soluble fabric markers? I had a guy complaining about the color of some embroidery and they colored over the white with gold. Of course it came out when he sweated on it.
                    Would it be very evil to recommend a pink marker on the lining of the ears, just for your own amusement? Yes, yes, revenge is bad, I know.

Sorry your customer is a poo.
                    Pffft. Man, that'd be hilarious. Though he'd have to do a lot of sweating to get any clear up in the ears. But still hilarious.
                    The best advice is this: Don't take advice and don't give advice. ~Author Unknown

Comment

I won't judge the "furry" crowd, but there's levels of cosplay I don't touch :P

Comment

O.o

If wearing a lion costume is something you wouldn't touch, I have to admit I'm a bit puzzled as to why. Or do you mean something else?

Comment

Wait complaining because he had pink ears? Man I'd kill to have the money to comission a suit before RF this year...

Comment

Usually I'm cool with whatever someone wants to do...but furries just...freak me out.

Probably doesn't help that I worked with a guy who was a furry, and he was the creepiest guy I've ever seen. No, "Bruno", I don't want to see you in your dog suit. Weirdo.

Comment

you could show him ALL the clippings and stuff leftover, and tell him that all his complaining made you waste all that and that he has to pay for all the extra stuff he made you waste or he's not getting his perfectly finished costume...

Comment

Working...
                              X