Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which president was this? And when did that happen? I don't think even Dan Quayle made a boneheaded comment that bad!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
      Which president was this? And when did that happen? I don't think even Dan Quayle made a boneheaded comment that bad!
      Now-President Obama said that a day or two before election day. To be fair, I belive it was a misspeak caused by exhaustion, but still funny.
      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

"Why would the rep tell me that then?"

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
          To be fair, you could have a concealed weapon. Just saying.
          I don't even have cuffs (which are never concealed, as they're rigid, not the chain type) let alone a weapon.

Oh, and the UK police force is unarmed (with the exception of Authorised Firearms Officers)
          A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
            Now-President Obama said that a day or two before election day. To be fair, I belive it was a misspeak caused by exhaustion, but still funny.
            Yup. He'd meant to say 47, but started off wrong, and wasn't quite coherent enough to catch it and re-start. There's a page on Snopes about it.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
              Yup. He'd meant to say 47, but started off wrong, and wasn't quite coherent enough to catch it and re-start. There's a page on Snopes about it.

^-.-^
              Ahh. I figured it was either that, or a typo on an unseen teleprompter...>_>
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

We have a new one!

I was talking to one of the regulars at The Bar last week, and he was telling me about a dealing one of his coworkers was having with a tourist.

Background: The Key West Cemetery is actually a popular spot for tourists to visit, for a number of reasons, including (but not limited to) the fact that it is very picturesque, the graves are above ground (seriously), and some of the tombstones are, quite frankly, very hilarious. Perhaps two of the best (and most famous) ones are "I told you I was sick" and "I'm just resting my eyes."

So, this tourist was engaging said regular's said coworker, and was discussing the Cemetery. And this gem came out of their mouth:

"I noticed there were a lot of Sawyers buried in the Cemetery. Do you happen to know if Tom Sawyer is buried there? You know...the guy Mark Twain wrote about?"

Yes, this nimrod was asking if a fictional character was buried in the Key West Cemetery. I know Twain was a good writer, but even I, when I read that book in (what?) third grade or so KNEW that Tom Sawyer was not real.

THIS mental giant was an adult, apparently with a job and enough disposable income to take a Key West vacation.

It is not the stupidest question I have heard come out of a tourist's mouth, but it certainly is a new one!

Still A Customer."

Comment

Oh, and I forgot to add this one. It wasn't really a stupid question (though not very intelligent), but it was stupid when they seemed surprised by my answer, which I thought was very obvious.

THEM: "What's the cheapest way to get to the beach?"
                  ME: "Walking."

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                    "I noticed there were a lot of Sawyers buried in the Cemetery. Do you happen to know if Tom Sawyer is buried there? You know...the guy Mark Twain wrote about?"
                    Actually Tom Sawyer is still with us. He died but came back. You can read about in What Tom Sawyer Learned from Dying.

OK, so it's a different Tom Sawyer.
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Ah, stupid questions, how I love them...Or not. Some of my favorites from the c-tore:

Do you have a bathroom?

No, sorry. You'll have to go out behind the store and use the grass, or hold it. Your choice.

Do you sell ice?/Where's your ice?
                      Perhaps under the big sign that is clearly visible from the front of the store that says ICE. It's a magical thing, really, that the very thing the sign describes might be located in the freezer below it. Some people.

Is the food in the warmer fresh?
                      (Background: we have a kitchen, out of which we sell pizzas to go and assorted yummy tasting but horrible for you things to eat) No, it was made yesterday, but feel free to try it!

and, a recent one that a former co-worker had asked of her, after she answered "Good evening **c-store** carry-out PIZZA, can I take your order?"
                      Yeah, do you guys make pizza?
                      **face...palm** Honestly? I would've been hard pressed not to reply, "No ma'am/sir, we only make chicken. I'm terribly sorry. You have a great night now!"
                      "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Whoever said "There are no stupid questions" never worked in customer service.

Quoth Jester View Post
                        The 51st State is DC. The 52nd is Puerto Rico. And the 53rd State? Why, that would be the UK!

(ducks quickly)
                        Also Guam

Quoth Jester View Post
                        Yes, this nimrod was asking if a fictional character was buried in the Key West Cemetery. I know Twain was a good writer, but even I, when I read that book in (what?) third grade or so KNEW that Tom Sawyer was not real.
                        I read the results of an interesting poll done recently in the U.K.
                        It gave a long list of famous brits, and respondants were asked to identify which were historical figures, and which were fictional characters. I forget the exact numbers, but something like 50% thought that Sherlock Holmes, and Oliver Twist were real, while around 35% believed that William Shakespeare and Florence Nightengale were fictional. Also about 75% thought Guy Fawkes was made up.
                        Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                          Background: The Key West Cemetery is actually a popular spot for tourists to visit, for a number of reasons, including (but not limited to) the fact that it is very picturesque, the graves are above ground (seriously)
                          Same here. Given that the bulk of our humble little town is actually *below* Sea Level, people apparently found out really quickly -- the hard way -- that, if you bury bodies underground, your late relatives tend to come by for a visit every time the streets flood. I guess they figured that this was good enough reason to try and make the graveyards "pretty". We have tours of them here all the time.

BrenDAnn: We got that at "Daddy Jim's" PIZZA all the time. It was really sad, in a way.
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth infinitemonkies View Post
                            Also about 75% thought Guy Fawkes was made up.
                            *twitch*

Now that's just sad. I mean, you do have to study something that includes him in school, right?

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                              *twitch*

Now that's just sad. I mean, you do have to study something that includes him in school, right?

^-.-^
                              Yes. He is the subject of several lessons in priimary school as November the 5th approaches. Plus he is usually included in any Tudor & Stuart history studies later on.
                              "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

And if he'd only done the job properly, we wouldn't have to deal with this mess right now.
                                People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                                My DeviantArt.

Comment

Working...
                                X