This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Australia it's the RTA - Road and Transport Authority

Edit: it's only the RTA in NSW, my south australian friend informs me. Down there, it's called, uh, "Transport". Imaginative bunch.
    Last edited by Kali; 06-16-2009, 03:54 AM.

Comment

It's still the DMV in Oregon, but instead of the "Department of Motor Vehicles", which they have in most states, they changed it a few years ago to "Driver and Motor Vehicle Services Division". I still just call it the DMV.
      That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

Interesting... my driver's license has fine print saying it's not to be used for identity purposes except when driving. Even though they're used for identity purposes everywhere, even places that don't accept a state ID card (which are available, my non-driving friends have them). Must just be something to cover the government's ass if they somehow issue a fake license that somebody then uses to commit fraud.

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
          Interesting... my driver's license has fine print saying it's not to be used for identity purposes except when driving. Even though they're used for identity purposes everywhere, even places that don't accept a state ID card (which are available, my non-driving friends have them). Must just be something to cover the government's ass if they somehow issue a fake license that somebody then uses to commit fraud.
          I imagine this is similar to the way it's illegal to use a social security number as identification if you're not a government agency. Doesn't stop all sorts of businesses from doing it. And, in fact, they can't legally deny you service if you refuse to give them your SSN, but they generally will anyway.

And in Washington State, we don't have a DMV, we have the Department of Licensing...

Comment

Still the good old DMV here in Utah. Last time I had to go was to get my plates for a car I bought from my uncle. Got it registered, got the plates, and got out in less than 20 minutes.
            Carpe Jugulum : Go for the throat.

Comment

but what Fenrus doesn't mention is that while it's still the DMV, there are some offices that will ONLY do drivers licenses... yeah, I had a roommate who found that out the hard way.
              If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Yes Smiley... but they're called Drivers License Divisions for a reason.
                Carpe Jugulum : Go for the throat.

Comment

My experience is related to the fact that the closest office to me is a regional DMV center that handles everything. Licenses, registrations, plates, transfers, you name it. Unfortunately, it is closed at 5 so the only time I can ever visit it when I need to is on weekends, and thus it's a madhouse at times. Even with the 'take a number' system it takes a while to get through. However, there have been times I've been in and out, especially if I manage get there right after it opens.
                  A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

Quoth Fenrus View Post
                    Yes Smiley... but they're called Drivers License Divisions for a reason.
                    I'd tell you to kiss my ass... but...

If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth IT Grunt View Post
                      Same here in West Virginia. The good ol' DMV, where lines are long and frustration abounds.
                      One of my local offices has a drive-thru window.
                      Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                        Or, if in North Carolina, it's officially the NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles (according to their website.)

But a lot of the locals still refer to it as the Department of Motor Vehicles.
                        Same here. It's actually the Motor Vehicle Division, but half of us still refer to it as the DMV. I think it's been around 10 years since it was changed (don't quote me), so it's us old timers referring to it as the DMV.

Quoth XCashier View Post
                        I don't know, but ask anybody who sells alcoholic beverages or cigarettes, an awful lot of fools are running around without their driver's license or state ID.
                        Including the guy picking up a control med last night that didn't have his ID, but did have his wifes? And a cell phone permanently fastened to his ear, was rude, and paying attention to everything but what I was asking him.

Quoth IT Grunt View Post
                        My experience is related to the fact that the closest office to me is a regional DMV center that handles everything. Licenses, registrations, plates, transfers, you name it. Unfortunately, it is closed at 5 so the only time I can ever visit it when I need to is on weekends, and thus it's a madhouse at times.
                        Same with ours (well until our illustrious governor decided to out-source our driver's licenses) and you can get registered to vote.

I can go ya one better on the hours, though. Unless your prepared to pay twice as much at an agent that contracts with the state, none of our field offices are open on the weekend. Add to that, they all close at 3, 4, or 5pm (except for the one near me at the mall, it closes at 6pm). Luckily, they've got a lot of stuff that you can do online, too....for a small fee. Damn state.
                        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

I'm amazed she came back and basically admitted she was a moron. Then again, I guess that's why she's a moron.
                          It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
                          -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

If Primus calls it "DMV," then that's good enough for me!
                            "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

I don't even know what it's called, but I say DMV, which is wrong. The only acronym that people in Wisconsin care about is the DNR--Department of Natural Resources. It's usually referred to as the "damn DNR."
                              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                                The only acronym that people in Wisconsin care about is the DNR--Department of Natural Resources.
                                I, for one, couldn't care less about the DNR.
                                I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Working...
                                X