Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This happened to my mum at a drycleaner in New Jersey.

This was a fairly tony neighborhood and I'm pretty sure that most of the customers this drycleaner had were complete and utter boors, if not SC's. (My mum did not speak kindly of her neighbors, being as she was from somewhat humbler stock and despising those who didn't notice that they were on the HOV lane to financial security.)

The clerks had probably gotten into the habit of speaking rudely about the customers in Spanish as a way of blowing off steam. Unfortunately, my mother understood just enough Spanish to tell them that she understood just enough Spanish to know what they were saying, and would take her business elsewhere. She told me that that she wished she could have a photo of the "oh shit" looks on their faces to brighten the darker moments in her life. I told her that those clerks were probably wondering how many other customers they'd had who spoke Spanish who had left the shop in a huff.

Love, Who?

Comment

hehe!! Your mum sounds awesome! and yes, it's too bad she didn't get a photo

There's a lesson in it though. Don't think that just because you are apeaking another langugage, that the person infront of you can't understand you
      -The one, The Only, AdvancedFlea-

Stick that in your blog and smoke it.

A guide for customers about retail

Comment

I am finding the same issues at the Board of Ed. Most of the parents do not speak English well at all and my Spanish is so damn rusty it's flaking.

I try not to get too upset with them because they do try. And most are fresh off a plane.

English is one of the hardest languages to learn. It is my only native language and I still get confused as hell with some of the rules.

I've heard the arguments for English only and, well, frankly I'm going to end up starting a Fratching thread to get into it. (suprised it hasn't gone there already since this is such a touchy subject)

Comment

The United Kingdom at least has English set as it's official language (and several other 'recognized' languages), so that should be something that all new immigrants should know as part of coming to a new country.
          The United States does not have an official language at all.

Reading the french text in this thread has reminded me just how rusty my own has become.
          Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!

Comment

Quoth AdvancedFlea View Post
            Me: (smiling at the girl who just insulted me thinking I couldn’t understand her) vous voulez dire deux filles non-laides et une limite qui regarde comme elle a été frappée dans le visage avec une cosse ? Numéro. Ne m'insultez pas jamais chient encore tête et obtiennent la baise hors de mon magasin (You mean 2 borderline not-ugly girls and one who looks like she’s been hit in the face with a spade? No. Don’t ever insult me again shit head and get the fuck out of my store )
            Ooh, did you study abroad? I didn't know there was a patois where people said "numéro" for "non".

Comment

*starts humming Avenue Q to herself*
              "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post
                Try speaking Czech sometime. It's so hard to pronounce, even some Czechs can't make certain sounds. The grammar is also so difficult that, once again, there are native speakers who don't use correct grammar.

Learning to speak this language is an interesting experience. Some people are overjoyed to hear a foreigner at least trying to speak their language. Some roll their eyes and sigh loudly. Quite a few people of my acquaintance (who ARE Czech) have told me that there's no reason for me to learn it, since I can't use it outside the country. (Oh, no? I can't use a Slavic language in another Slavic country? I doubt it.)

Masculine, feminine, and neutral nouns. Masculine animate and masculine INanimate. Seven noun cases. Perfective and imperfective verbs.

SUCH fun!
                The horror, the horror! Languages are not my thing, and what you just described gave me the shivers....

Comment

As a tourist, you can get by just knowing how to say 4 things:

-yes
                  -no
                  -how much?
                  -where's the toilet?

But if you emigrate, you need to know the language of your new home.

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                    Let's not turn this into a foreigner-bashing thread, OK?
                    i dont think it is a bashing thread, the first story the person admitted that learning the language spoken by almost everyone around them all the time wasnt worth it and have obviously been the country long enough to know the old manager. the second was just bratty about their language and the third was about people using their first language to insult and belittle others.

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post

-yes
                      -no
                      -how much?
                      -where's the toilet?
                      Don't forget:
                      I'm hungry
                      I'm thirsty
                      Where's the beer?
                      and, most importantly - Will you sleep with me tonight?

B
                      "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
                      I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Quoth Bandit View Post
                        Don't forget:
                        I'm hungry
                        I'm thirsty
                        Where's the beer?
                        and, most importantly - Will you sleep with me tonight?
                        B
                        Those can be covered by pointing and asking "How much?"

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post

-yes
                          -no
                          -how much?
                          -where's the toilet?

you may be able to get by with that, but the most important phrase you can learn in any language is " 2 beers please, my friend will pay"
                          Be Nicer To Retail Workers 2K18, also known as: stop being an incredibly shitty human to people just doing their job.

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
                            i dont think it is a bashing thread,
                            Oh look, someone questioning a mod's note in public, rather than via private channels, especially when it was a warning to not do something, rather than say it was being done and to stop it.
                            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post
                              . The grammar is also so difficult that, once again, there are native speakers who don't use correct grammar.
                              In that case English is impossible.

Comment

Quoth AdvancedFlea View Post
                                PC: I need someone who speak polish
                                Try Warsaw!

As for the 3 French girls...top score mate! Their arrogance knows no bounds.

Comment

Working...
                                X