This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EA Games, you're on my list

I've been too sick with the Con Crud to hoist myself up and post this before now.

So last weekend was San Diego Comic Con. I've been itching to go for years, but never had the funds to go. Well, this year I got to be a Booth Babe for one of my favorite artists. I took a variation on a Princess Leia costume and 2 Deanna Troi costumes. I had 5 of the greatest days in my con-going history.

Except for a solid 5 minutes of sheer irritation that bordered on anger.

I was traveling the exhibition hall floor in my Princess Leia variant costume. It was slow going as picture requests were frequent. One young 'gent' ask me for a pic, then asked another passerby to take it for him.

We both agree. So he hands off his camera, sidles on up next to me, I put my hand on his shoulder (the nearest one as it creates an air of casual friendliness while still creating a buffer space) and just as the picture is about to be taken, I feel a hand on my bum. Not just resting, but cupping and lifting.

I dart quickly out of the way, looking sufficiently offended. He reclaims his camera and happily flounces off. The people who stopped to take the picture look confused. I turn to them and say "He just goosed me! He was not hot enough to pull that bullshit with me!"

It wasn't until I got home and started checking the internet again did I find out about EA Games' little contest.

That doesn't necessarily mean he was trying to win it or even in the contest, because the fact that he grabbed my butt wasn't on camera, but both items seriously irk me. I mean, c'mon! I was there to help sell art, not be your hand candy. Jackass.

Wow, I knew EA was bad, but this is just wrong. Nice way to spread the stereotype that gamers are mindless, violent pervs that care about nothing but video games, EA.

Hope you're all right.

Comment

Quoth FenigDurak View Post
      and started checking the internet again did I find out about EA Games' little contest.
      Actually, as far a I've heard, EA hasn't received a single entry for that contest yet. It was remarkably stupid marketing idea to begin with. But apparently the whole premise was rather insulting to the Con goers. So no one has even submitted an entry yet.

So I think you were merely molested by a good ol' fashion asshole that would have done it regardless. >.>

Comment

Good! Bastages deserve to have their contest snubbed.

Edit: The link I provided says that only one person entered via Tweet. Ha!

Comment

Supposedly EA Backed off. Guess not.

And not to sound like a jerk or anything but...

Pics please.
          I AM the evil bastard!
          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Somehow, EA pulling something like this doesn't really surprise me....
            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Heh, reminds me of the time I was at a bike show and someone did that to one of the girls (who I was show friends with, i.e we'd seen each other at a few different shows so sorta knew each other)

Simply put, she decked him to the floor, he was then somewhat forcibly removed by several burly bikers

A few moments later she pointed at me and laughing said "Only you get to do that with me" which made me laugh, as we both knew I'm not that crude.

Though, devil that she was, she got the word around to all the other girls (and I mean all, somehow) and then any time i had a picture took or was even just talking to th eother girls, they all started pinching my arse!
              I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

"Hokey smokes, Bullwinkle!"

The idea that nobody at EA said, "Hold on a minute - you want to do WHAT?" just baffles, bewilders, and generally s me!

The idea that someone could also be such a jerk at a convention, unfortunately, doesn't surprise me as much. I think that, at cons, there's a kind of thinking of, "this isn't where I live, so I can let my inhibitions go." For some, it's a positive thing, but for all too many others it means, "Hey, I can try my hand at being a total a$$!"

I'm sorry you had to put up with that kind of idiocy... not all of us geeks are like that, as I hope you realize.
                Experience is knowing how not to get your teeth kicked in - again. -- The Freethinker

"And that... entitles you to no mercy at all, no matter what." -- from Going Postal by Terry Pratchett

Comment

Man, there have been some horribly bad video game marketing ideas. Anyone remember Acclaim offering $10k to anyone willing their baby Turok? Or Acclaim (again) offering to pay for your funeral costs and services as long as they get to put a small billboard over the tombstone of your loved one(s) advertising their new game, Shadowman...

Comment

I actually heard that one of the winners was a gay guy, who posed with a "Booth Bear" and refused to take the prize money.

http://kotaku.com/5325071/gaygamers-...-in-lust-promo
                    All Hail Blortash, King of the Time Traveling Space Bears, who comes to us from Future Year 3032, known to us Earth Mortals as Regular 3032.

Comment

EA put out a retraction later saying that they did NOT mean for ANYONE to assault someone else.

They just made a HORRIBLE choice of words. ALL they wanted for was people to take pictures of themselves with the booth babes or other women in costumes, and submit them.

See they're doing a different deadly sin each week in order to promote their game "Dante's Inferno", that week just happened to be Lust, and they just got a little overzealous with the particular words they used to describe the contest. (and also didn't give a clear enough disclaimer by what they meant by "acts of lust")

The entire thing was suppose to COMPLETELY consensual.

This has nothing to do with EA, it has to do solely with the fact that the guy who grabbed your ass is a complete and total dickweed, and deserves a swift kick to the balls with a steel toed boot.
                      Last edited by Lingering Grin; 08-01-2009, 03:06 PM.
                      <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

They had to consider the fact that a few people would take the wording a bit too literally and try something ban-worthy if not illegal. I've known a couple guy gamers who fit the horny greasy loner stereotype to a T.
                        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
                          Actually, as far a I've heard, EA hasn't received a single entry for that contest yet... So no one has even submitted an entry yet.
                          Unless, of course, this guy who copped a feel was the one person who posted a pic... *shrug*
                          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Lingering Grin View Post
                            See they're doing a different deadly sin each week in order to promote their game "Dante's Inferno", that week just happened to be Lust, and they just got a little overzealous with the particular words they used to describe the contest. (and also didn't give a clear enough disclaimer by what they meant by "acts of lust")...
                            Well, I sure as hell don't want to stick around for what they do for "Wrath." (Although "Sloth" might be entertaining...)
                            Experience is knowing how not to get your teeth kicked in - again. -- The Freethinker

"And that... entitles you to no mercy at all, no matter what." -- from Going Postal by Terry Pratchett

Comment

Quoth Thud-n-Blunder View Post
                              Well, I sure as hell don't want to stick around for what they do for "Wrath." (Although "Sloth" might be entertaining...)
                              Hopefully their marketing dept will be just as clever with Wrath. "Take a picture of yourself punching out an EA CEO" for example could work rather well. =p

Quoth Juwl
                              Unless, of course, this guy who copped a feel was the one person who posted a pic... *shrug*
                              Last article I'd read on it was a few days ago. Although that would be rather amusing. Photographic evidence to charge him with. Submitted by himself. ;p

Also the term Booth Bear is both terrible and awesome.

Comment

Working...
                              X