This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cruise Ship Sucky Holidays

I haven't been on in ages, due to moving across country and job searching, but I'm back with a short, mini sucky story. I could have a bunch more to tell, but they involve my husband and his position on the ship and that would give my identify away to anyone who worked for Princess in the last 6 years. We'll see.

Anyways, it's December and we're cruising in the Caribbean. As anyone who has been onboard a cruise ship knows how many different nationalities, both with the passengers and especially the crew (usually from 75-80 different countries). Anyways, due to having so many cultures all in one space, it is the office's policy that all crew members use "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" or whichever holiday you celebrate so we don't offend anyone. The only time we could stray from this is if a passenger addressed us first with "Merry Christmas", we could reply with the same greeting. If you are overheard saying something else, you can receive a written warning (3 of those and you usually find yourself in front of the Captain and paying your own way home). Each week throughout December, it never failed:

Me: Happy Holidays (in passing while walking on my way to the buffet)
    SC: Don't you "Happy Holidays" me. (said sarcastically). I'm an American and we celebrate Christmas. I don't know what y'all celebrate over there in (looks at my nametag, which lists our name, rank and country) Canada, but we are all proud Christians!
    ***this is usually followed by someone else in their party explaining to them that Americans are in fact NOT all Christian.

Me: Happy Holidays!
    SC: What's with all this politically correct bulls#!t? It's "Merry Christmas" or you shouldn't be on this goddamn boat! I'm going to complain about this crap. Who the hell doesn't celebrate Christmas?!?!?!
    ***ranting all the way to the Purser's desk. If he complained, I never heard anything about it.

I have also witness passenger suckiness when it comes to other people celebrating with holidays. A large portion of the crew celebrates Chinese New Year (lots of crew from the Philippines and Thailand especially) and while they do not address passengers in any way about it, some of them do wear a small pin just under their nametags for the week leading up to it. A lot of passengers will ask about it and will then wish them a happy new year, but this one was super sucky (I heard this story from another crew member who I will call S for this.
    A pax asks S what the pin is all about and S proudly explains. The pax proceeds to rant at him for celebrating a "fake" holiday. When S was about to burst into tears, another pax who just happened to be an ex crew member came up (paraphrased from what I was told)

Good PAX: Excuse me, but are you seriously yelling at this gentleman for celebrating his culture's holiday?
    Bad PAX: His culture shouldn't matter! He's on an American ship and should act like an American!
    Good PAX: Sir, 90% of the crew are not from North America, and over 50% of the passengers are from other countries as well. Why shouldn't we all be allowed to celebrate whatever holidays we want?
    Bad PAX: All these "fake" holidays are just excuses for people to be lazy and not work!!!
    Good PAX: (to S) S, did you have to work on Christmas, or on New Years Eve?
    S: Yes. We don't get days off.
    Good PAX: So you don't get any time off to celebrate the "American" New Years, and you definitely don't get time off for your own New Years, correct?
    S: No, ma'am. We work 7 days a week for 10 months.
    Good PAX: (back to Bad PAX) If you call that lazy, you need a reality check. I'd love to see you last a month on this ship.

By this time about 50 passengers and a dozen or so crew had gathered around. Good Pax got a round of applause and Bad Pax stormed off, probably to try to find someone to whine to about "fake" holidays. Good Pax was known by dozens of crew members (had only stopped working on ships a year before) and didn't have to pay for a single drink the rest of the cruise.

So Bad Pax must actually be a crewmember. He's obviously not on that ship because he gets time off of working 24/7 for 10 months straight.
    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

What shameful behavior. You would think that coming from a place as diverse as the USA people would be a little more understanding of other people's cultures and religions. I can't imagine what kind of hole these people crawled out of.
      !
      "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Comment

Quoth Mnemjian View Post
        What shameful behavior. You would think that coming from a place as diverse as the USA people would be a little more understanding of other people's cultures and religions. I can't imagine what kind of hole these people crawled out of.
        I know what you mean. I have a lot of American friends and none of them fit the stereotypical "American Tourist". Sadly there are those *very loud* few who ruin it for everyone else. They are the ones who complain in foreign countries that no one speaks "American" and it sucks that they are the ones who are making the impression for their entire country. There are plenty of sucky passengers from other countries, but those stories mostly belong to my husband and I'm not sure how many of them I'll be sharing.

Comment

Wow. I just don't understand how some people can be such culturally insensitive assholes. Horray for the Bad SC getting owned on the "fake" Chinese New Year holiday rant!
          I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
          Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
          Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Ugh. I hate shallow, narrow/small minded, full of themselves-and-what-they-believe-must-be-the-only-truth people! I get enough of them where I work; I swear, some day I'm going to be burned at the stake by angry old people, I can feel it...

You know, people DO go missing off of cruise ships all the time...you know. Just a thought. (Kidding, kidding. Maybe you could keelhaul them though)
            "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

There's also walking the plank.

Arr, matey! I be No-Beard the Pirate! Every man on me barg shaves! Yo ho ho, a bottle of rum, and here's to Long John Silver and Captain Jack Sparrow!
              Friends help you move. Rare friends help you move bodies.

Comment

*le sigh* Just reading that made me miss working on a cruise ship, but also hate it! Ugh. People are so stupid, insensitive, and they think they are the only one that exists/matters. This will be my second holiday season off ships, and I think I am finally returning to "normal"
                Cruise Ship Brilliance: "Do the elevators go to the front of the ship?"

Comment

Quoth lobo94 View Post
                  ..., and here's to Long John Silver and Captain Jack Sparrow!
                  And Captain Morgan and Jack Daniels.

I wonder if they celebrate Talk Like A Pirate Day on cruise ships.
                  "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth orcprincess View Post
                    This will be my second holiday season off ships, and I think I am finally returning to "normal"
                    I hear ya. I got off my last ship in March of '06 and it took a LONG time to feel normal...and I only did it for 3 years. My husband was a crew member for 8 or 9 years. While I miss the social aspect of it (always a few hundred people in the crew bar each night to party with), it's nice to be settled in one place and NOT have to deal with a new set of idiots each week.

Comment

Ironically they are rude and insensitive talking about a holiday dedicated to a man who preached peace, love and tolerance.

Honestly, I don't get all the flap about "Happy Holidays" because there is plenty of other things to get upset about that you don't need to make stuff up.

Comment

The being-offended-over-"Happy Holidays" nonsense is truly ridiculous. Just because you celebrate Christmas and are in the majority doesn't mean that everyone has to pretend the minorities don't exist. Also, everyone also celebrates New Year's Day, which is only a week after Christmas. So therefore, even Christians (and Christmas-loving atheists like me) celebrate more than one holiday, hence the "Happy Holidays" applies to them as well.

THAT BEING SAID:

Being that Christmas is not just a religious holiday, but one with a secular tradition as well, it is an official public holiday in the United States. Everyone should be able to wish anyone else a Merry Christmas without being worried of causing offense. If someone wishes you a Happy Labor Day, even if you don't personally do anything to celebrate it, would you be offended?

So to sum up this post and to explain why it doesn't go into Fratching territory (or at least I don't think it does): Both "Happy Holidays" and "Merry Christmas" (at least in the U.S. and other countries where Christmas is a public holiday) are legitimate seasonal greetings and to be upset at hearing either one of them is absurd.

Comment

Quoth dbblsanta View Post
                          Being that Christmas is not just a religious holiday, but one with a secular tradition as well, it is an official public holiday in the United States. Everyone should be able to wish anyone else a Merry Christmas without being worried of causing offense. If someone wishes you a Happy Labor Day, even if you don't personally do anything to celebrate it, would you be offended?

Ah, a fellow Christmas-loving atheist. My entire family celebrates Christmas each year, but only my grandmother really has any religious affiliation. I also have no problem with someone coming up to me and wishing me a Happy Hanukah. I've encountered this on many occasions and just reply back with Merry Christmas and we all go on our merry way and no one is offended. I think most rational people realize that not everyone thinks the same way as them, and that's okay. The world won't end and the person who celebrates differently than you isn't going to run out and kick the nearest puppy.

Comment

I'm not a holiday person at all. I'm not gonna go into fratching about my reasons, just mention that despite my personal feelings, I understand I live a culture where the overwhelming majority sees christmas as kind of a big deal, so I accept that I must at least acknowledge and tolerate the holidays.

Just because I don't have any christmas spirit does not give me the justification to go pissing all over someone else's.

Personally, I like using the phrase "season's greetings" which as Jerry Sienfeld once pointed out, is a completely empty and neutral statement, much like saying "appropriate remark"
                            Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

While we're on the topic, and it is that time of year.
                              I would like to wish a festive All Hollows Eve to everyone... now watch someone get offended
                              If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Working...
                              X