This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The one where Irv almost witnesses domestic violence

So yesterday was the first day of our Super Duper Uber Mega Super Stupendous Lowest Prices of the Season Sale. As you can imagine, the swamp was a madhouse for most of the day. Bet I get grilled on why the morning autopulls are so high later. But I digress.

Anyhow, one of my many carryouts for the day was a storage cabinet. The customer started out on the wrong foot by pulling me aside as I was returning from another carryout, and asking me to bring her the cabinet before she even had checked out. I just told her to go through the register and they'd call me anyway.

Finally the call came, I retrieved the cabinet, and the customer rolled up in her Chevy Cavalier, along with her baby daddy and the baby in the back seat.

Obviously, the cabinet did not fit in the trunk. She asked me for some string, and I went behind the service desk to try and locate some, but there was none there.

So the customer decided now would be a good time to start cussing at baby daddy. "Christ fucking sakes, it might fit if your trunk wasn't such a shithole."

And then baby daddy, standing right next to his baby momma, decided that would be a good time to cock his hand back like he was going to belt her one. "Yeah, go hit me right in front of all these fucking people."

Finally, they decided to roll down the back windows, set the cabinet on top of the rolled down windows so it was hanging out both windows, and drive home with the baby in baby momma's lap.

I sure meet the idiots in this job.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
    And then baby daddy, standing right next to his baby momma, decided that would be a good time to cock his hand back like he was going to belt her one. "Yeah, go hit me right in front of all these fucking people."
    I feel sorry for the victims of Domestic Violence, particularly in the case where the wife is the man's possession, not the man's partner, if you get what I mean. I thought times had changed!
    Last edited by Alteran Ancient; 10-09-2009, 09:55 AM. Reason: I really need to stop quoting entire OP's with my replies!

Comment

I hope they get pulled over. Having a baby in your lap is unsafe for baby at any speed. Any quick stop or, heaven forbid a small accident, can cause the little one a great deal of harm. I hate parents who think the lap is an oh so cute place to hang onto baby.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I would have called the police with the plate number and taken a cell phone picture of where the baby was sitting!
        "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
          I hope they get pulled over. Having a baby in your lap is unsafe for baby at any speed. Any quick stop or, heaven forbid a small accident, can cause the little one a great deal of harm. I hate parents who think the lap is an oh so cute place to hang onto baby.
          No kidding . . . just ask Britney Spears.

Safest time for a baby to be in someone's lap is when they're in a rocking chair. Best way to put me to sleep as a baby.
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
            I would have called the police with the plate number and taken a cell phone picture of where the baby was sitting!
            I second this. No need to risk the baby's safety.
            "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
              I hate to say, my wife and I did this once. Really nasty weather at 11:30 PM. Tornados sighted, about 7 miles from town, and we live in a very small house - no place really safe to hide. We sped 1.5 blocks to my parents and joined them in the basement.

Probably reasonable to get to a safe place quickly, but we didn't really like not putting out little girl in her seat (on the way back home she did get put in her seat). Yes this is a different situation, and those parents needed to get pulled over.

Comment

Grrrr I don't understand parents like this. When my daughter was little I was so paranoid about her safety I got rear ended once and I freaked out because I forgot my daughter wasn't in the car with me and I was just thinking what that did to her being in the back seat.

Parents who take a cavalier attitude about car safety and kids grrr me wants to bite them.

Comment

Well, you have to give them props for style.

Classy.

Comment

Last week a woman in Florida drove her truck through a 12' 1500 gallon aquarium.
                    She was apparently distracted by having her unrestrained 6 year old son in her lap.
                    Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth jackfaire View Post
                      Grrrr I don't understand parents like this. When my daughter was little I was so paranoid about her safety I got rear ended once and I freaked out because I forgot my daughter wasn't in the car with me and I was just thinking what that did to her being in the back seat.

Parents who take a cavalier attitude about car safety and kids grrr me wants to bite them.
                      I'm an absolute crusader about seat belts. My daughter was born before seatbelts or carseats were required by law, back then the norm was a newborn going home in mom's arms. She went home from the hospital in her carseat, and never rode without one (or seatbelt as she got older) in her life.

I made my Dad irritated at me as he could be once, she was going to spend a week at their house, they were all ready to go (he was a stickler for traveling on schedule) when I saw no seatbelts in the back seat. I simply refused to allow her into their car until he took out the backseat to dig out the normally unused seatbelts. He was not pleased with the delay, and felt she'd be totally safe without it

Now my daughter has carried on in my way, cause my granddaughter will actually yell almost panic stricken if she hasn't gotten herself bucked up when the car goes into gear, LOL.

Madness takes it's toll....
                      Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                        Now my daughter has carried on in my way, cause my granddaughter will actually yell almost panic stricken if she hasn't gotten herself bucked up when the car goes into gear, LOL.
                        It was so engrained in me that we will be driving before I even realize that at some point I strapped in.

There was once only once that my mom didn't strap me in quite right. I got out of my seat opened the door and rolled out of a moving car into the busiest street in town. I was six and I can still remember it. I was freaked out and my mom was screaming my aunt hit the breaks my mom ran out scooped me up and from that day forward buckling in was a bloody religion.

I had the door open cuz I liked watching the road move under us. I was a weird kid.

Comment

Quoth jackfaire View Post
                          I had the door open cuz I liked watching the road move under us. I was a weird kid.
                          You'd have loved my aunt's car then. Years ago she had a 1969 Ford Galaxie that her then-husband picked up somewhere for $200. The floor in the back seat was totally rusted through and you could see the street going by if you looked down. We used to say that car was equipped with Flintstone brakes...

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                            Super Duper Uber Mega Super Stupendous Lowest Prices of the Season Sale.
                            You said "super" twice.
                            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                              You said "super" twice.
                              It's just that super.

It's a great thing we aren't running these kinds of sales during the holidays. It would be Black Friday for an entire week. Although many of the sales we run from Thanksgiving to Christmas are almost as good, but they only go one to three days.
                              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                              X