Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, of course we sell date rape drugs.

Background: I work in an adult entertainment store (sex toy shop)

So I'm working on Saturday night, it's ten minutes before closing and this man in his late twenties comes rushing in. I'm closest to the door, straightening up cards and he asks me for "poppers". Now, I had no idea what poppers were, so I figured I had misheard him as he had a strong accent. He asks again for poppers and becomes more and more agitated. I STILL have no clue what he wants so I bring him over to the register where my manager is doing some pre-closing stuff. I have the man repeat what he wants to her.

Me: your friendly vibrator and lubricant expert!
    J: my fabulous manager
    CG: creepy guy

Me: Okay, please repeat what you want.
    CG: Poppers!
    J: What?
    CG: Poppers!
    J: Sir, I don't know what that is. You'll have to be more specific. What is it for?
    CG: *makes a gesture of waving something under his nose* You bring them to club to get girls.
    J: Isn't that ILLEGAL?
    CG: *laughs* Yeah.
    J: Then no, we don't sell it.
    CG: They sell it at the Stag Shop.
    J: I doubt that.

He looks at the counter for a few seconds as if we're just testing him (Okay, you pass the test. Date rape drugs are aisle 3, next to the snuff films) then takes off.
    I still have no idea what "poppers" are and so I ask my manager. She's clearly upset and tells me that it's a form of drug that some people use at clubs to knock people out and then rape them.

Why on earth would we sell that?

Edited: I have since been informed that poppers don't necessarily refer to date rape drugs, they can also be a recreational drug used for a momentary high. Thus, I've changed the SC's name to Creepy Guy instead of Rape Dude, since it's possible that he wasn't buying them for that purpose. However, everyone has said that using this product for recreational uses is illegal. Some places can get around this by marketing them under a different name. So, no, we don't sell illegal stuff and this guy is still an SC.
    Last edited by chantal; 12-05-2006, 04:21 PM.

Well, I must say that I'm deeply disturbed. I'm glad I never went into the club scene.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I say never drink anything that hasn't been in your constant line of sight between the bar and you. I don't even take my eyes off my drinks in normal situations, lest some frat punk pee in my beer.

Oh, jeez, shouldn't there be a way to track these people down and beat the living snot out of them? Then rape them (prison style) as they're passed out, of course. Cuz obviously the opposite won't bother them.
      No good news is good bad news

Comment

Apparently, this doesn't have to be put into a drink, just waved underneath someone's nose. Maybe it's like chloroform? I don't know. We don't have any cameras there or else we would have turned the footage over to the police.

Comment

Poppers refer to roofies, or pills you put into a drink.

What HE is referring to is a type of ether that makes your head swim and knock you out or make you too dizzy to respond, although nothing is quite THAT potent to knock out with one whiff except for chloroform.
          "Time shall help me face my painful memories with indifference, and with more of it, I won't feel the need to face them at all..."

Comment

Not really, Poppers is a gaseous drug, it was pretty common in the gay disco scene for a while
            I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

Not a date rate drug. More of a stupid man's aphrodisiac (and they treat angina): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poppers#Usage. Apparently they can be obtained without a prescription, although it doesn't seem 100% legal. THe other store the SC was talking about may actually have carried them, though.

Roofies are muscle relaxants:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roofies. The other store most likely didn't carry them; not unless a drug dealer works there.

Comment

theres also a kind of candy over here in the UK called poppers, little mint fodant balls covered in chocolate.

Comment

Quoth Bliss View Post
                  Not really, Poppers is a gaseous drug, it was pretty common in the gay disco scene for a while
                  I stand corrected
                  "Time shall help me face my painful memories with indifference, and with more of it, I won't feel the need to face them at all..."

Comment

As I remember it, at least back in the 80s, poppers refered to small vials of Amyl Nitrate that you whiffed to give yourself a fairly quick, fairly mild headrush.

Comment

It warms my heart to know that rapists and other criminals aren't too bright to begin with. Makes it easier to catch them.

If you have any security footage of this guy, you might want to save it for future use.

Comment

Quoth chantal View Post
                        Background: I work in an adult entertainment store (sex toy shop)

Me: your friendly vibrator and lubricant expert!
                        Hi there! I'm Jester, and I'm single!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                        Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Mighty Girl View Post
                          It warms my heart to know that rapists and other criminals aren't too bright to begin with. Makes it easier to catch them.

If you have any security footage of this guy, you might want to save it for future use.
                          not a rapist, poppers don't incapacitate you, they lower blood pressure and relax involuntary muscles.

that or he really did need to clean his VCR
                          DILLIGAF

Comment

A sex shop manager had never heard of poppers? How peculiar. Like hecubus said, poppers are little vials of amyl nitrate. You sniff the stuff and its supposed to give you a big rush instantly. They are hardly rape drugs.

You can still buy them in lots of sex shops in Soho. I think they are actually illegal over here, though, most places that sell them cover their backs by saying they are not for inhalation.
                            A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
                            - Dave Barry

Comment

Yeah, all sex shops over here sell them. They're legal to be sold as "room odourisers" though, and not allowed to be sold for inhalation (although of course thats what everyone uses them for). You certainly can't knock someone out with them..they just make you light-headed and want to dance

Comment

Working...
                              X