This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something I just don't understand

People who smoke know that if they don't already have a lighter to use, they are obviously going to need one to light up at some point. The store used to carry books of matches we could give to customers, so it was no big deal then. Just toss a book of matches at them, and they would go on their way.

However, the store no longer carries those books of matches. I don't know why they quit, and really don't care. They have their reasons, I guess, but I don't care either way. The point is that I don't have matches to offer.

These customers will then ask if I have a lighter to lend, which I don't. Even if I did, I wouldn't because they can just as easily buy their own lighter and be on their way. I hate moochers, even over something small, so I tend to discourage them out of spite. After all, I shelled out the money to buy my own lighter when I did smoke. It's not a big deal, but the principle that people should be willing to fend for themselves. That's the way I look at it.

Some will then ask to use a lighter from the rack to which I'll also say no. Then, they start whining and complaining that they just want a light, which fails to elicit my sympathy and is really annoying.

Really, if you want to smoke, you're going to need a light. If you already have a lighter in your car or at home, just wait until you get there to light up. I promise it won't kill you to wait that long. If you don't have a lighter, then just shut up and buy one. Then, you'll have it when you want it.

Plus, smoking is prohibited inside the building, so at least wait until you get out the door.
    The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

I bet they stopped offering the matches because of how much money it cost to provide them.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

What's the problem with buying a lighter? It lasts longer than smokes and is probably cheaper anyway. If you can afford cigarettes you can afford a lighter, at least one of those one dollar disposable butane things in the dollar store.
      It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
      -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

I was also wondering: If they just wanted to "borrow" a lighter, they still would have to go outside to light up. And THEN it would be considered as theft since they left the store with an unpaid item. So, where's the logic in asking to borrow a lighter? (Oh, wait....)
        A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
          I bet they stopped offering the matches because of how much money it cost to provide them.

When I worked at the C-Store, they said that they stopped giving out matches, because the lighter sales were down, and it cost $ to give out matches.
          I mean, why GIVE stuff away, when you can SELL stuff!!
          And the sky was full of stars... and every star, an exploding ship, one of ours...

Comment

It cost us $45 for a bag of matches, 100 to a box, I think 100 to a bag. And we were giving them away for free. So yes, lots of money being lost right there. Besides, people can buy cheapie 2 packs of lighters for a buck and a dime.
            Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

Just buy the damn lighter. It's easy to lose a lighter, people pocket them, whether intentional or not. My roomate is the worst!! But at least buy one while your at the store!! or go without, your choice. I can't believe people would ask to "borrow" one off the rack.

would you walk into a hardware store and ask to "just borrow some ductape"??
              Sorry, my love cannot be bought. And if it could, you obviously don't have enough in your account to do so.

~Do not pass go, Do not collect $200. You lose, my friend, you lose~

Comment

Oh man, I used to get this all the time at the gas station. We didn't give out matches for the longest time because it was a fire hazard. Gas and matches I guess.
                Working graveyards I would have people ask to borrow lighters all the time, with the door locked, through the transaction drawer, right in front of the pumps.
                “Bad taste creates many more millionaires than good taste.”

-Charles Bukowski

Comment

We sell lighters as well. and I don't get the logic either about "borrowing a light."

Have we become that cheap that we'll fork out for cigarettes, but not a dollar for a light? (the only thing I DO buy from the cigarette stands is tallyho papers because I can clean out my flute pads with them)
                  The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

whoa are people really doing that? Are they really that cheap??
                    I m a smoker, more than a pack a day, but it would NEVER cross my mind to ask for a lighter off the rack! How can You afford smokes but not a lighter which lasts few weeks???

Comment

I'm a non-smoker, and I work in a bar, not a convenience store, but I see this all the time, not only at my bar, but at other bars, and at convenience stores...and since I don't spend a whole helluva lot of time at convenience stores, that should tell you something.

Then again, we shouldn't be surprised by this, since this is the same group of people that a large portion of them will, if they drop their smoke, will pick it up off the ground and put it back in their mouth.

I have never smoked, and yet I keep ending up with women who do. Go figger.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                      Still A Customer."

Comment

Yeah, at the bar I work at I get that a lot, but I figured that is the habit, people miss smoking there and such, but little stores and gas stations, it really shocked me hehe, how naive I can be

Comment

What I’ve never understood is why they don’t pony up the money for a decent lighter? I’ve never smoked, but for the longest time would carry a Zippo. The amount of co-workers/friends that would ask to borrow the thing always surprised me.

Comment

Quoth KitterCat View Post
                            What I’ve never understood is why they don’t pony up the money for a decent lighter?
                            Probably because they lose them. I know that anything I lose a lot (pens), I never lay out decent money for a good version (sunglasses), as it is just bound to disappear sooner or later (coozies). That or they are prone to break them (again, sunglasses).

Then again, there are those smokers who are just cheapass fuckwads.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                            Still A Customer."

Comment

This thread reminds me of a prop comedian who had a joke where he'd ask the audience for a lighter. Someone tosses one up, he pulls out a bag with a couple hundred lighters and says "Thanks, this will add to my collection"

I can't get over that "borrow" one thing. Ummm, it's illegal to be inside with a lit cigarette. You can't light up in the store, you can't come back in with a lit cigarette, how were you planning to return it?
                              D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
                              Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Working...
                              X