This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don'tcha hate it when...?

You're out on the floor doing whatever kind of work, and a customer comes up behind you and just stands there, waiting for you to turn around?

I know this has been posted before, but this has been happening to me so much lately, I think it's time to revive it.

The other day, I was on top of a very tall ladder so I can get some paint down. I was probably not more than 10 feet away from the paint desk, where three other coworkers were. So I'm up there, grumbling to myself. I'm facing the main exit doors (the and I am perhaps 15 feet up. I hear a very little *cough cough* and just glance down from the corner of my eye. I see an oldish-man standing almost at the foot of the ladder just waiting for me to acknowledge him.

So I keep working. The guy wasn't being an SC, but why bother the one guy working, 15 feet in the air, when there are 3 other people not more than 3 steps away in full view? He finally says "Excuse me!" and I look down. "Can you help me? I need some paint mixed." I reply: "Sir, I'm kinda tied up at the moment. If you go up to the paint desk, there are 3 other people that can help you with that."
    He would have to go to the paint desk anyway to get his paint made up.

I've also been getting this lately: I'll be working alone, as usual (damn schedule makers), being very busy making paint for about 6 customers all wanting 10+ gallons of paint each. I'll be slaving away when someone will come up to me and ask "Do you work in the paint department?" No, I like wearing a Lowe's hat, this stylish red Lowe's vest covered in paint splatters and mixing paint in my free time. I'm actually a high-price lawyer and come in on the weekends so I can devote more time to my hobby, mixing paint.
    Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Oh yeah, happens at my job too. I'll be working away, in a more or less "zone", and all of a sudden I hear the voice of my Evil Stupidvisor....."MoekosOwl, I need you to...." at my elbow, which causes me to jump ten feet. Or worse, I'll turn to get something and there he is.....causing me to jump ten feet and fight down an urge to rabbit punch him.
    http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/29478

Comment

Quoth Knightmare View Post
      I'll be slaving away when someone will come up to me and ask "Do you work in the paint department?" No, I like wearing a Lowe's hat, this stylish red Lowe's vest covered in paint splatters and mixing paint in my free time. I'm actually a high-price lawyer and come in on the weekends so I can devote more time to my hobby, mixing paint.

"No, I don't work here. I'm just a big fan."

I would like to add, if it makes sense, it's not allowed.
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I used to love when I was away from the till and a customer woul just stand there in silence waiting till I saw them and went over. Then they would heave a big sigh!
        No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

I hate it, when I am busy at work, and have my back turn to the customer, and they stand right there behind. Then when I turn around, I jump, because they decided to stay quite the whole time. It happened to me Friday. We just got a shipment in, and I priced it, and was stocking *Had nothing else to do*, when a customer came in. It helped that I didn't hear the door chime, when it opened.
          Last edited by powerboy; 12-10-2006, 05:41 PM.
          Under The Moon Paranormal Research
          San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quite frankly, I do something like that, but as far as I am concerned, it is for a good reason. I hate being interrupted in the middle of a task, and I hate interrupting people in the middle as well. Just absolutely despise it. Only time I actually go up is when I think you just finished or whatnot. I'm a patient llama, if I don't see anyone else, I'll wait nearby for you to finish before even attempting to ask my question. Granted, I don't know if that's why all customers do that, but just giving you an idea of why some might be.
            "I live in Los Angeles, and I was on the walk of fame. I was drunk, and I got a henna tattoo that says, 'Forever.'" -Zack Galifianakis

Call Sophia Moore or Kent E. Ryder for a good time!

Comment

I can't help it!
              *breaks down crying*
              I just naturally walk really, really quietly... I don't sneak up on people on purpose!
              Hell, I used to wear a huge freaking cat bell around my neck so people would be able to hear me... Apparently, once they could hear me, I got really annoying...
              "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                I can't help it!
                *breaks down crying*
                I just naturally walk really, really quietly... I don't sneak up on people on purpose!
                Hell, I used to wear a huge freaking cat bell around my neck so people would be able to hear me... Apparently, once they could hear me, I got really annoying...
                Cat bells are annoying.

Cowbell, however...
                "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
                "What IS fun to fight through?"
                "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

Quoth KhirasHY View Post
                  Cat bells are annoying.

Cowbell, however...
                  I've got a fever, and the only cure is
                  "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Son of a...........

I swear, I read this thread, went on a walk through the lobby, was picking up some trash people had just left on the ground, turn aroun--JESUS!

Some jackass had apparently tailed me through the lobby and was just standing right there waiting to ask a question...nearly pissed myself when I turned around...
                    "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
                    "What IS fun to fight through?"
                    "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

well this happened to me once but it went beyond
                      i was sweeping the lobby in the movie theater and there was a big popcorn spill so i was in one spot all the sudden this woman who apparently had been behind me accuses me of being racist for ignoring her
                      i didnt even see her let alone her color!!!

Comment

Llike Llama, I tend to walk up to a service counter at the store or whatever, and stand quietly, because I understand there are other parts of the job that are important, and don't want to mess someone up on a task, plus, whether I'm the customer or employee, I hate it when people can see an employee is doing something else, and the customer is at the counter for barely a millisecond, and they are like "HithereIneedthisthatandtheotherthing....."

Quoth Knightmare View Post
                        I'll be slaving away when someone will come up to me and ask "Do you work in the paint department?"
                        "No, I play in the paint department! Hence, the lovely finger painted shirt I am wearing!"

Mike
                        Meow.........

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                          I can't help it!
                          *breaks down crying*

i do the same thing, somehow being 6' 240 lbs doesn't stop me from moving silently. though not at home since the old floors here creak.

i started wearing keys clipped to my belt so i don't scare the crap out of people at work
                          DILLIGAF

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                            I can't help it!
                            *breaks down crying*
                            This is funny, as an ex-manager of mine was the same way. Not a tall guy, but in no way a small guy...but I SWEAR, he moved like a ghost.

You would be saying something to a co-worker, or doing something, and he would just appear out of nowhere, usually behind you, and say something to make you jump.

JESTER: "So the chick was really hot, and what I was going to--"
                            GHOST MANAGER: "Really? Was she?"
                            JESTER: "AAAAAHHHH!!! Don't DO that!"

He was not a bad manager at all, actually a rather cool guy, but MAN could he sneak up on you without even trying!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                            Still A Customer."

Comment

Yep... Happens ALLL the time at the portrait studio. All the customers stand at the desk staring at me dumbly. Blinking expectantly and saying nothing. Not even the usual *koff* "Excuuuuse me!?" It's like they're either struck completely dumb at the thought of actually announcing their presence or what they want, or they think I'm a mind reader.

sc#1 The Portrait Pick-up Customer: *blink* *blink* (the piece of paper rattles in their hand) *blink*

sc#2 The Passport customer: *blink* (scuffles feet and stares at me expectantly like a newly born calf - new and dumb to the world)

sc#3 The Portrait customer with appointment: (screaming kids in tow. Stares at me with hands on hips.) *koff* clears throat. "Ahem!"

sc#4: The Portrait customer walkin: (screaming kids in tow. Customer looking at me like a kicked puppy) *blink*

sc#5: The 1hour photo customer: Complete moron who can't read signs, grips picture tab in hand and stares expectantly like he thinks I'm going to perform tricks - or tapdance maybe?

All of them too dumbstruck to speak. All of them expect me to A: Read their minds and know EXACTLY what they want. B: Solve their problems without exactly stating WHAT they want. and C: Do it all with a smile and good cheer. All act as if their vocal were cut and that I'm supposed to solve all their problems. Fortunately I've become pretty good at figuring out what people want, A: by their props at hand, the Passport forms clutched in their sweaty paws, the portrait receipt crumpled in their hands, or the screaming brat clutching at their leg; perfectly coifed and preened.

I usually can guess what they want, and I'm usually right, but I resent the fact that I have to. I shouldn't have to to guess what in the hell they want. They certainly know how to talk when they want to bitch and complain, but don't make the slightest noise when they need to convey their basic wants or needs.

I'm not a damned psychic friend, and I'm sick and goddamned tired of playing mind games. "Hi," I greet them, "You want.... (Insert service here)?" They nod.

"Yeah." they mutter noncommitally and shove their passport forms, portrait receipt or screaming brat at me. When all I need is
                              "Hi, I'm your 4 o'clock appointment." Or

"Hi, can I get a passport photo?" or

"Hi, I'm a complete dumbass that can't read signs. Can I develop some film here?"

It's not hard. I can't understand it. I really don't.

Comment

Working...
                              X