This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No, you are NOT "The Man"

I was approached yesterday by an older gentleman, who asked me for a suggestion for a gift for a male college student, and that it had to be something in our store, and it had to be off-beat.

Well, not knowing any more than that, it's awfully difficult to think of anything, and besides, Staples isn't exactly the place for off-beat gifts (at least, once all the various Christmas promotional crap is sold off).

Oh yeah, and suggesting gifts is NOT part of my job description, last I checked. Nevertheless, I suggested perhaps a flash drive or some blank CDs/DVDs

SC: NO! Everyone thinks of that! I need something DIFFERENT!

Me: Well, I really can't think of anything that we carry that would be good.

SC: BAAH!!! *waves dismissively at me and walks away*

OK, that was rude of you.

Then he got on his phone and asked for a suggestion from whomever he'd called. A minute later, he asks me about an electric stapler, which he ended up buying.

SC *on phone*: Yeah, I got him an electric stapler! Am I The Man or what???

It was all I could do to not laugh aloud. An electric stapler! Oh yes, that's what EVERY male college student wants these days!!! Oh yes, you ARE the Man!! </sarcasm>

If he hadn't insisted on buying something at my store, I could have suggested he go to a certain "specialty store" about 20 minutes away, specifically to the not-advertised "adult area" in the back. There's plenty of off-beat things there that I'm sure many a college student would enjoy, and much cheaper than a $40 electric stapler.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Reminds me. I could really use an electric stapler. It'll help out when I need to write essays and reports for my COC.

Comment

I have been The Man many times in my life.
      I have seen other people, both men and women, be The Man as well.
      And they have involved many different situations, settings, dialogue, and props.
      And in not ONE of those did an electric fucking stapler play any part whatsoever.
      Not. Fucking. One.

Dude is not The Man. He is, quite simply, The Douchebag.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

Yeah, maybe an electric stapler to staple something into his stupid, pointed head.

Comment

Hm.... I could use an electric stapler....

But yeah he's totally not The Man.

Comment

I know when i was in college there was nothing i desired more than an electric stapler. someone down the hall from me had one and he held wild stapling parties most nights, but me with me little manual stapler couldn't get in.

I still don't have an electric stapler, no wonder i'm single.

Comment

I actually had to google what an electric stapler was...
              Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

An electric stapler as a gift? Wooo....nice!
                I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                  If he hadn't insisted on buying something at my store, I could have suggested he go to a certain "specialty store" about 20 minutes away, specifically to the not-advertised "adult area" in the back. There's plenty of off-beat things there that I'm sure many a college student would enjoy, and much cheaper than a $40 electric stapler.
                  Would they be offbeat items or would they be beat off items?
                  To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Was it ... a Swingline stapler?
                    "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

yes, but not a red one

and there are what could be called beat off items there. that part of the store is half "adult items" and half head shop.
                      "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                        that part of the store is half "adult items" and half head shop.
                        *giggles madly* "head shop" and "adult items" in the same sentence does not tend to paint the picture you were originally going for.
                        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
                          Was it ... a Swingline stapler?
                          I don't know if they make electric staplers.

Of course if they do, someone in here will correct me.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                          Still A Customer."

Comment

Hmm..."off beat" he says? He wants something "cool" from a, how you say "Bureau En Gros?"

Yeah, he's what we in SubGenius land call a "Pink Boy."

Comment

The old guy probably isn't up on the current slang, and the kid actually said that he wanted to nail some chicks in College!

Mike
                              Meow.........

Comment

Working...
                              X