This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failure to grasp geography

I had both of these almost back-to-back!

Caller: "Yeah, I already have a reservation for February. I just want to know how long does it take to get to Vancouver? I'm going to the Winter Olympics!"
    Me: "Well, normally it takes about an hour, but with the extra traffic it's hard to say how much of a delay that will create at the border."
    Caller: "I have to cross the border? Like, do I need ID for that?"

Ah, another one who doesn't understand the concept of an international border. Have fun trying to get a passport or EDL in two weeks. When were you going to cross the border again? I want to bring a bag of popcorn and watch you flounder.

Guest: "How far is it to Oak Harbor."
    Me: "It's about a 50 minute drive."
    Guest: "You mean it's STILL that far?!?!"

No, you see, we actually moved it closer onto the mainland last year and it was only 20 minutes away then, and then we decided to move it back to the island last week so it's a 50 minute drive again. Sorry, you just missed it.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

It's just not fair. I almost never get that kind of hilarity where I work.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
      Ah, another one who doesn't understand the concept of an international border. Have fun trying to get a passport or EDL in two weeks.
      I was in the post office once and overheard someone trying to get passports in ten days for a family...from what I could gather they were flying internationally very soon, and didn't think it would take "that long" to get a passport (well in a way you are correct, it'll take longer). I didn't hear the entire exchange, but it involved yelling, a "sir, if you don't calm down I will call the police", and what might be considered a bribe. I don't think they got the passports.
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

That reminds me I need to get mine done for may.
        http://www.deezer.com/#music/album/100130
        Melody Gardot

Comment

For July here, but, yeah. Passports for 4, which means I have to find time when my husband is available, since we both need to be there for the kids' passports.
          Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

Actually when I went to get my passport I a) got it before the two weeks later date that they said they'd mail it by and b) saw options for getting it done more quickly. Not precisely a bribe, as it goes directly to the department, not to the individual involved, but works out to the same thing.
            Last edited by Magpie; 02-01-2010, 04:56 PM. Reason: noticed typo AFTER hitting post

Comment

I think the guy in my scenario was actually trying to bribe the clerk above and beyond the usual rush-processing fee (like that would accomplish anything). Part of me was hoping he'd storm down to the federal building and try that...
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

bhskittykatt, are you in Whatcom or Skagit County? I have a feeling that Whatcom is going to be a zoo with all the extra traffic in the next few weeks. Time to find the back ways and short cuts just to get around.
                "Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are your own fears." – Rudyard Kipling

I don't have hot flashes. I have short, private vacations to the tropics.

Comment

When we needed passports for our upcoming cruise, we took no chances. We got ours done over a year ahead of time. Good thing too, because getting my son's was a bit tricky, since they wanted signatures from both parents, and no one knew where his stupid mother was, and we weren't sure she'd sign it even if they did find her.
                  Sometimes life is altered.
                  Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                  Uneasy with confrontation.
                  Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

To me this not having a passport seems pecular. As i livs in the Uk where around 77% of the population has a valid passport to hear someone saying I need a passport quickly for something is highly unusual. I suppose thats the great benefit of being the US everything is within your great land!

Comment

Quoth pitmonkey View Post
                      bhskittykatt, are you in Whatcom or Skagit County? I have a feeling that Whatcom is going to be a zoo with all the extra traffic in the next few weeks. Time to find the back ways and short cuts just to get around.
                      Yeah, we're just south of the border! Fortunately, I live well within walking distance of work, the grocery store, and the pub, so I'm all set to avoid the traffic mess!
                      Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth C-130 View Post
                        I suppose thats the great benefit of being the US everything is within your great land!
                        It's not just that, it's that the US is very large compared to European countries, and the UK. In the EU, you travel for a day or two, and you're in another country, often. In the US, you might be in the same state, still. When you can travel like that, then you often won't bother leaving the country.
                        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                          I was in the post office once and overheard someone trying to get passports in ten days for a family...from what I could gather they were flying internationally very soon, and didn't think it would take "that long" to get a passport (well in a way you are correct, it'll take longer). I didn't hear the entire exchange, but it involved yelling, a "sir, if you don't calm down I will call the police", and what might be considered a bribe. I don't think they got the passports.
                          You can get a passport fairly quickly (2~3 weeks if I remember correctly) if: a) you pay more money and b) get it sent to one of the regional centers (I think Chicago is ours) c) Already have your plane tickets. A few years ago, I had to go to Japan, my company let me know about 4 weeks in advance.

Comment

a few days? You can drive across the UK in 8 hours. Only state that takes that long is Texas :P On the other hand, I can drive for 24 hours and still be in Ontario. (straight line, not going in circles). Heck, in 14 hours, I can drive across a good bit of Ontario, Michigan from north to south (not the UP), drive across the northern end of Indiana, and up Illinois around the lake right into Wisconsin. In that same 14 hours, I can drive from the northernmost point of Scotland to the southernmost point of England twice

Now that I've finished my driving geek-out, we got my ex's and son's passports in less than 3 days when they went to the Dominican Republic just Christmas. Got my daughter's a month before the trip, but the boys required some additional stuff.
                            GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
                              Only state that takes that long is Texas :P
                              Yep. It's a big one.

When I worked in the Rio Grande valley of Texas (southern most area of the state) I used to have to deal with the snow birds from the northern states who seemed to think that because they were "Uh-mahr-i-cuns" those "silly laws" about crossing into Mexico didn't apply to them. Bhskittykatt's caller reminds me very much of their attitude and thinking.
                              "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
                              .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Working...
                              X