Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I live in Ga where there is a Highway 285 starts going South, then East, then North..you get the idea. It's one huge circle that never ends. So, with all the people who wrote they also have problems like the woman on the phone....How many of you are considered Southern? I'm only 39, so I guess I have 11 years before I turn stupid trying to buy ugly clothes. Glad I got the heads up not to try that on my computer.

Comment

Quoth Treasure View Post
      When people ask me or try to give directions to me in "North" "South" "East" "West" I just look at them
      You just described my entire home town. Instead of those four directions, we have, respectively, "towards tha lake", "towards tha river", "towards tha city/Quarter", and "towards tha airport".

Quoth Moggie View Post
      Hey Treasure? If it makes you feel any better I live near the intersection of 45North and I-35 North. And yes, it's a right angle intersection.
      And here, you reach the Westbank (of the River) by going South along I-10 East...

Quoth MickiGa1 View Post
      I live in Ga where there is a Highway 285 starts going South, then East, then North..you get the idea. It's one huge circle that never ends.
      I'm not sure if we have loops here, but we do have the other type of "3 digit interstate" -- Spurs. One of them breaks off from I-10 in order to bypass Downtown, then melds back into I-10 a few miles later.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
        back when i was in the navy ... if someone was going to the left instead of the right we'd say "no, your other right". heh
        The shirts the ceili group puts out have the sleeves labelled "left" and "other left". I personally think it's cruel to wear them to the ceilis, because it's hard enough to keep track of which way to go without the shirts throwing you off.

Comment

I did not realize there were so many Austinites on CS... How about Airport, Lamar and Guadalupe...all heading north-south, and all intersecting each other.
          Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth lorimeyers View Post
            casually ask her what her e-mail address is--I knew it. @aol.com. All of them are. Idiots.
            Really? I think I'll have to ask around later to see if I'm an idiot.
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Becks View Post
              Umm... Erm... We still love you!

(At least *my* two brain cells do)
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Becks View Post
                No worries. Poster on this board are automatically idiot-proof. The bbs software would not have allowed to register if you were a Carrier of the I-Dee-Ten-Tee virus.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Great, I'm over 50, in the South and use AOL. 3 for 3.
                  Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

Quoth lorimeyers View Post
                    I casually ask her what her e-mail address is--I knew it. @aol.com. All of them are. Idiots.
                    I read that as "women who have this problem are afraid to use anything but AOL and are idiots", not "all AOL uses are idiots". Why'd everyone get so worked up all of a sudden? O_o

My father-in-law is one of those types who refuses to use a computer. He's in his 70s and never used a computer in his life and just refuses to even try to learn. His wife is a few years younger and a teacher and learned to adapt to e-mail and writing documents on the computer, but is otherwise afraid to touch anything on the computer. Anytime the computer does anything the LEAST bit funny, or she has to upload school photos online or make a presentation, she makes hubby or his brother come over and do it for her.

Of course, not all old people are like that--my grandfather (pushing 80 himself) could run circles around me with computers if he cared to!
                    It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                      No worries. Poster on this board are automatically idiot-proof. The bbs software would not have allowed to register if you were a Carrier of the I-Dee-Ten-Tee virus.
                      But I am staying with this one.
                      Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

There's a place in Northern NJ where you are simultaneously on 15 South and 94 North for a few blocks.

(edit: I just checked the Google street view, and they've blurred out the lower half of the sign showing 15 South. Has to be deliberate. If you back up one click, you can see both signs. It's at 4 Lafayette Rd, 07848 if anyone's curious.)

Quoth pepperelf
                        back when i was in the navy ... if someone was going to the left instead of the right we'd say "no, your other right". heh
                        My grandmother was born in Hungary. She was a lefty. Whenever she'd pick up a pen with her left hand in school they'd smack her with a ruler. For the rest of her life she got her lefts and her rights confused.

At her citizenship hearing, the judge said "Raise your right hand." She raised her left hand. Judge says "No, your other right hand..."
                        Last edited by Shalom; 06-20-2010, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Quoth Treasure View Post
                          and when giving directions, even over the phone, i will gesture with my hands towards the direction of the turn, and i'll make the gesture several times before i actually commit to "right" or "left" - i even turn around, so that i'm facing the direction i'm telling them to come from...*usually only for on the phone*
                          I do that, too. I have to picture which way they're coming from. I can't do NSEW, either. The highways are generally known by their number/direction, so if I get on the highway I know I'm on 9 North, or 36 East (which also runs N/S in some spots), or whatever, but if I'm on a regular named street I couldn't tell you what direction I was going, unless I'm close enough to such a highway to be able to compare directions.

Left and right I've never had a problem with, though. I am so not left handed it'd be hard for me to forget which is which. I just naturally do anything that requires any dexterity with my right hand.
                          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                            I just naturally do anything that requires any dexterity with my right hand.
                            And sinister stuff with the left hand, rig^H^H^Hcorrect?

Comment

I always like to say: "In Britain, we drive on the correct sde of the road."

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                                And sinister stuff with the left hand, rig^H^H^Hcorrect?
                                Who, me? Never.
                                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                                X