This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have any low carb?

Ok, just to start this off, I work at GNC at one of my local malls and here's how the conversation went with a snotty lady tonight:

Me: Hello ma'am is there anything I can help you find?
    Customer (in a snotty tone): Yes, do you have any low carb?
    Me: I don't understand what you're saying, low carb what?
    Customer (getting nasty): Low carb!!!! Do you have any LOW CARB?!
    Me: Ma'am, I don't understand exactly what you're looking for, can you elaborate? I'm rather new.
    Customer (raising voice): LOW CARB! Do you have low carb? You have all sorts of sections in here, don't you have a low carb section??! I just want a low carb candy bar!
    Me: Well, ma'am, we don't sell low carb candy bars. In fact, we don't sell any candy bars. We do sell protein bars with low carbs.
    Customer (now causing everyone to stare): Where's your manager?!
    Me (getting annoyed): He went home for the night ma'am. I'm sorry. Would you like to speak to my co-worker over there?
    Customer: No! I just want a damn low carb candy bar! Show me where they are, or call your manager!!
    Me (gritting my teeth): Ma'am, I just told you we don't have any low carb candy bars, and my manager is at home for the night, I can't call him unless it's an emergency.
    Customer: Is there any other health stores in this damn mall?
    Me: Yes ma'am, Vitamin World
    Customer: Where the H*LL IS THAT?!
    Me (finally not able to take anymore): If you'll just turn around and look across the hall, it's over there, I'm sure they'll be glad to tell you that they don't sell them either
    Customer: Fine. I'm not shopping here again.
    Me: That's fine ma'am, have a wonderful evening.
    (Customer get huffy and storms out)

That was 10 minutes wasted of my time with that woman. If she'd just said what she wanted when we first spoke, I don't think we would have had to deal with that b.s. UGH customers can be jerks at times.

Doesn't GNC sell stuff for muscle gain?
    As in, stuff packed to the brim with carbs?
    "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Low carb freaks...I try to avoid them.
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth mrsjfreak View Post
        Me (finally not able to take anymore): If you'll just turn around and look across the hall, it's over there, I'm sure they'll be glad to tell you that they don't sell them either.
        Niiiiiiiiiiiiice.

I don't think I've ever heard of a low-carb candy bar. As for granola bars, you can get those even at Wal-Mart or Kroger.
        ~*~"If your gift is that of serving others, serve them well. If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching." -Romans 12:7~*~

Comment

Quoth kerrisan View Post
          Niiiiiiiiiiiiice.

I don't think I've ever heard of a low-carb candy bar. As for granola bars, you can get those even at Wal-Mart or Kroger.

Actually, Hersheys makes them you just can't find them anywhere. (go figure) We try to carry them when we can get them at Sams Club or Costco. I've tried them and they aren't bad but I can't imagine them being very good for you considering they substitute the sugar for that stuff that makes you poop. (and technically, they aren't low carb but the fiber is said to negate the carbs rendering the # of carbs low)

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
          ~Clerks

Comment

There are plenty of low carb candy bars on the market, most have malitol syrup, which does have a laxative effect. But what the heck, how much candy do you really need to eat?

You can always eat very dark chocolate with low sugar if you want a fix without the malitol.

There are some pretty good low carb protein bars and meal substitute bars on the market, also.

And there are granola type bars on the market as well, Carb Sense and South Beach to name a couple.

Comment

If you're on a diet anyways (even a low-carb one), shouldn't you not be eating candy anyways?
              "You can try to control everything in your life or you can just let it go..."- Viggo Mortensen

Comment

Eh. Depends. This is not a diet for me. It's a lifestyle. I avoid sugar. That's not to say I never, ever eat whatever I want regardless, but for the most part, I avoid sugar and refined, simple carbs. So if I can eat a piece of candy or some other normally off-limits treat, and not consume sugar, it's nice to have the option.

Besides, people with blood sugar issues might want their occasional sweet, too!

It really does help a person to stay on the straight and narrow if they can have a bit of a treat every now and then. If you are a strict low-carber, and you indulge in a bit of sugarless candy, it doesn't hurt your dietary efforts any and helps you not fall off the wagon.

Comment

We have a selection of low carb stuff at our chain, not to mention a huge variety of sugarless stuff for diabetics.

The low carb candy section is starting to shrink a bit though, because they're not as popular anymore.

Comment

Wow... I have never had anyone demand an adjective... that's pretty low. Usually I find that people understand my requests better if I include a noun.
                    free from the evil clutches of crappy tire

Comment

Off Topic-ish

Being an athlete (and part Italian, woot pasta), I'm way way wayyyy against low-carb diets. Not that I'll make anyone stop following in the footsteps of Dr. Atkins, but low-carb is definitely not for me nor for anyone who asks me my opinion of Atkins and similar diets.

Short version: by eliminating carbs from your diet, you are literally starving yourself without feeling hungry. Your body must burn something to function, and so it turns to your fat reserves. While this means you will probably lose weight, it is also an extremely unhealthy diet that is nearly impossible to maintain without adverse side effects. [/rant]

Where I work we offer lots of vegetarian/vegan, low carb, wheat free, sugar free, etc. options. While I highly approve of this, since it allows for nearly anyone to have a fair selection, I am very skeptical of the low-carb options. They taste terrible (I've tried 'em) and unless you're going to fill that low-carb bagel up with awfully unhealthy toppings you're going to be eating something that tastes a bit like smoggy air.
                      [/off topic]

People really need to learn to speak English. Though sometimes I find that people will say something like "do you have low carb" or whatever if they don't really know what they're looking for, so they just say the beginning of what they think they might be seeking. This person obviously knew just what they were after, so this does not apply. Suckitude to the maxitude.
                      "I'm not a crazed gunman, dad, I'm an assassin... Well, the difference being one is a job and the other's mental sickness!" -The Sniper

Comment

It's true low carb diet isn't really all that good for you. At best, if you're looking to drop a quick 5 pounds or so I could see it since if you exercise and cut out carbs it is a quick weight loss.
                        But avoiding sugar doesn't necessarily mean dieting. I've had arthritis since my 20's and even now in my 30's sugar will affect it.

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
                        ~Clerks

Comment

Quoth IhateCrappyTire View Post
                          Wow... I have never had anyone demand an adjective...
                          "where's your exciting, I want some exciting!"

Comment

I'm sorry madam, we are fresh out of crappy.

Comment

Actually, I have to take exception to the idea that a low carb diet, if followed correctly, is unhealthy.

Most people who claim to be on low carb diets haven't the first clue what they are doing. They don't understand how metabolism works, they do dangerous versions of low carb, then complain when it makes them sick. I've seen it time and time again.

You do not eliminate carbs, for one thing. And if you do, you are doing a dangerous version of low carb. Low carb is not no carb.

My husband and I, my sister and her husband, and most of the people I hang out with are all long term, lifestyle low carbers. We enjoy all manner of great, healthy, nutrient-dense food and every single one of us has slimmed down, improved our blood pressure, eliminated many health problems, and improved our triglyceride levels. One of my best friends, a woman with chronic, genetic blood pressure and cholestrol problems, actually got her BP and cholestrol down to what it was when she was a problem-free teenager. Everyone who I have coached on how to do it properly has found great success and improved health.

I'm not saying it's for everyone...if what you are doing is working for you, don't change it. But don't base your opinion of the lifestyle on people who wouldn't know a proper low carb diet if it came up and bit them on the butt...and unfortunately, those people are in the majority. And it really gets me down, because for a lot of people, it really could do them a lot of good if they would just educate themselves on how to do it properly.

Comment

Working...
                              X