This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DING DING DING DING

I got sent home from work sick today. The main disadvantage with working in a school is that you catch EVERYTHING that is going around, and a lot of the kids are dropping like flies with the flu at the min. The only reason I am writing this is because I have slept all evening and I am now wide awake, and still feeling like shit.

I was sat at my desk working when all of a sudden, I felt really sick. The disabled bathroom is right around the corner from my desk, so I ran for it. I made it, and had been in there about two seconds, when I heard:

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

Shit, it was the buzzer. Someone wanted to get in the school, and there was no one at the desk. About a second later...

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

It was going on continuously. But I couldn't actually move from the bathroom. After about a minute of the buzzing, I heard a member of staff leave the building. So when they left, they allowed whoever was at the door to come in. Another second later:

DING! DING!

Again, shit. Whoever it was was ringing the little bell on my desk.

DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING!

I shit you not.

DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING!

I am currently hunched over a toilet, being sick. There are no other members of staff about, and all I want is for that fucker to go away. I can understand them being frustrated, but Jesus, leave the bell alone for a minute!

DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING!

Finally, I was able to get myself off the ground, and walk out the bathroom. I walk out, and see an annoyed looking woman, pacing up and down, with her hands behind her head. She looks very stressed. I also need to point out that everything I have told you has taken place in the space of two minutes, so she hasn't been waiting for that long.

Me: I'm very sorry, I was just in the bathroom.
    W: Oh! Well it's a little bit too late for your help now! I am in a hurry, and now I have to leave!

She stormed out.

Thankfully a member of staff appeared right after that. He had heard the bell and was on his way to shove it down her throat. He saw that I wasn't well and offered to do my shift for the evening.

I am very upset. It's the weekend, I am ill, and I have had to cancel my plans to see Harry Potter

Schools are a nasty place to be this time of year, I don't want to think of what you get exposed to on a daily basis. I hope you feel better soon, try some ginger tea, it really can work wonders.

My school had a really dumb policy where if you didn't miss any classes your senior year then you didn't have to take exams (it was done individually so if say you went home early you would have to take the exams for the classes that you misses, there were exceptions for some things but being sick was not one of those things. Needless to say this led to loads of people being miserable for long periods of time, besides which who can really absorb calculus while sick with the flu?

Comment

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post
      The main disadvantage with working in a school is that you catch EVERYTHING that is going around...
      I thought the main disadvantage of working in a school was dealing with all the freakin' children......

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
        I thought the main disadvantage of working in a school was dealing with all the freakin' children......
        Au contraire, mon frere, it's dealing with the freakin' PARENTS
        Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
        TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
          Nah, I actually love working with the kids, even the ones I don't really like. It's the parents I hate!

It's funny. When I worked in the pubs, I did not like children at all. In fact, the horrible, badly behaved children I saw in there put me off wanting to have children of my own. Now I love kids, and hate adults.

Comment

I'm sorry you're feeling crappy, hon. It sucks royally.

*hands over a glass of ginger ale for the upset tummy*

That was the biggest complaint my youngest sister had when she worked in daycare. It seemed like once a month she was having to go to the doctor's office for one thing or another. It was either a respiratory issue, head cold or the latest bug that was going about.

She's been working as a nanny for a private family since January and so far hasn't had to go to the doctor once so far. *knocks on wood*
            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

First of all, I hope you feel better.

Second of all, even though I don't work the same type of job, I get the same kind of suck and it pisses the hell out of me. As soon as I need to use the restroom, the phone would either ring, or someone would come up to the desk and ring the bell right away without waiting. And then they'd ring it again and again until I'm out of the bathroom.
              To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth skeptic53 View Post
                Au contraire, mon frere, it's dealing with the freakin' PARENTS
                Absolutely! The kids that ARE a pain are so because they know their parents are even bigger EW assholes than they are (after all, where'd they learn it from to begin with?).

I had one parent, when I called to talk to her about little Suzy talking out of turn in class tell me that she wanted her child to socialize in class, see school, including classes, was little Suzy's social time, after school and on weekends she was too busy to talk to her friends.

This was the only parent to be so blatent about it, but I had other parents whom I could tell thought the same way and others that were up at the office complaining weekly about any and everything.

I finally concluded that 90% of the parents didn't give a flying fuck if their kids actually got educated or not, they just wanted their little darlings to be happy and to not actually have to deal with their offspring (i.e. sign tests/report cards, make sure kids did homework, etc., you know: be a parent), oh, but their pwecious child showed up for class, so s/he better get an A!
                Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Truly annoying. Would it be possible to take the bell off your desk when you go to the bathroom? If you're in the middle of bathroom activities, you can't just come out anyhow, and at least you won't have to listen to that again!
                  Steven Slater ROCKS! So does James Jones!

The world is an asshole contest...and EVERYONE'S A WINNER!

Comment

First off I hope you get better.

Secondly, I'm kinda hoping that I'll be able to bypass most of the "first year getting sick all the time" issue with my current workplace. I get kids all the time and I've been sick quite a bit.
                    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I think it's actually a good thing that you catch everything...why? Your immune system will be better able to handle things.

The last few times I've had flu/colds of any kind the only meds I used were Tylenols, for fever. So far I don't get sick very often.

Best way to fight flu is to have had it.
                      My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

It's no better working in a factory, especially a large one that employees over 1,000 people. I used to think because we use clean room criteria and not to mention always wear gloves, that were safe. Boy was I wrong.

All it takes is one person to get sick, from their kid or their spouse. They come to work and infect their entire shift, which spreads to another shift, which spreads to another, which spreads departments, because everyone has friends all over the place, and soon everyone is ill.
                        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I'm sorry you had to be sick and put up with something like that. I'm sick too, but at least I haven't had someone ringing a bell in my ears constantly. It would have made me all the more pissed off that she just left, like the only reason she had for being there was to annoy you. What could you have done for her in the time she was there anyway?
                          It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
                          -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

What's needed is some kind of connection between the bell and a trap door in the floor, just where the EW would be standing - they're allowed 2 rings, but the moment they press the bell for the 3rd time, the trap door springs open and down they plunge to the waiting crocodiles below.
                            Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

why is it wrong to vomit on the person ringing that bell?

Comment

Working...
                              X