This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King of The Entitlement Whores

This one was jut too good to wait for more stories to go with it.

My bar, like many in this town, aligns itself with a particular U.S. city and its sports teams. Locals from that city often come to our bar, and tourists from there often make a point of making our bar a part of their trip, especially during sporting events involving their teams.

Yesterday, the place was packed to capacity with people watching football, as it usually is on Sundays, and the main tv screens were showing the contest of That City's team. They had a waiting list for tables. During this, a guy actually told my manager that, because he was from That City, he and his party should get priority for seating. Not only that, but he said that, because he and his party were fans of That City's Team, my manager should actually give them a table being occupied by fans of Another Team. He seriously believed that he was entitled to take a table from someone who was already seated, just because was a fan of That City's Team.

I mean, I know we advertise for people to come watch That City's Team at our bar and restaurant, but what part of that makes this dude think that just because his is from That City, he should get preferential treatment? And that he is ENTITLED to a table at the expense of people already sitting there?

Needless to say, my manager told him flat out that that wouldn't happen. Offended by our bar actually being logical and fair, rather than idiotic, he and his party went elsewhere.

Talk about your entitlement whores. That is so utterly ridiculous. It is probably a good thing I don't work Sundays and wasn't there for this, because I probably would have made a smartass comment or two.

What a douchebag.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

There's a series of commercials on the air about being able to watch your favorite football team even though it's not the local team; local residents are quite offended by the idea of a 'Skins fan in Dallas territory for example.

The commercials are successful because the reaction of local fans is so true.

I get a lot of heat for being a Skins fan in Panther territory and supporting the Terps in Tarheel/Blue Devil territory.

It is only natural that behavior should twist its way into the Entitlement Mentality.

For some people, Football is more important than church.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Football IS my church.

That being said, as a Raiders fan, if I were at a Raiders bar, and there were no tables available, I would NOT expect that I would be given a table that Jaguars fans were sitting at, just because I'm a fan of the Silver and Black. That is just ri-fucking-diculous. Even if they were BRONCOS fans, I wouldn't expect it....(though I can't imagine Broncos fans staying at a Raiders bar for all that long....)

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
        There's a series of commercials on the air about being able to watch your favorite football team even though it's not the local team; local residents are quite offended by the idea of a 'Skins fan in Dallas territory for example.

I get a lot of heat for being a Skins fan in Panther territory and supporting the Terps in Tarheel/Blue Devil territory.
        I know exactly which commercials you're talking about.

I'm a Saints fan. People here assume that you're either a Cowboys or Broncos fan. Get crap for that.

But I commit the ultimate sin in ABQ, I hate the UNM Lobos. Because I'm from Las Cruces and went to NMSU (Go Aggies!). There is a serious, serious blood feud between us. (I've had my car silly-stringed and had gum stuck on the windshield over one of my stickers.)
        Last edited by Pagan; 11-24-2010, 01:33 AM.
        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

*tosses a WHO DAT! Pagan's way*

I find that -- OK not all, but many -- folks down here at least give the oppositon the time of day, and are generally polite before and after games; I know better than to comment on ANY fan's behavior "during" -- one of my best friends is one of those people who are loud enough that the neighbors know how the game is going just by hanging out near his house >_> I just don't think we (as a city) would still be fans if we were quite as hardcore "dedicated" as the EW in the first post. Yeesh.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I am one of those VERY loud, VERY obnoxious people DURING a game. Great example is last year's Arizona State-Arizona game. I was the only person in a bar with a few hundred people in it that was watching this game. Everyone else was watching Florida-Florida State (mostly) or Kansas Missouri (some). But EVERYONE knew *I* was there.

But when I say obnoxious, I mean yelling at the tv and going crazy. I do not yell at other fans (unless it's in good fun, and everyone knows it), I do not get up in people's faces, I do not belittle people (unless it's in good fun, and everyone knows it), and I'm not mean to anyone. (Even if they may deserve it.) Hell, I will even watch a game with fans of the other team. One of my good friends down here is a University of Arizona guy (no one's perfect), and I love nothing more than watching our annual Duel in the Desert with him.

There is a difference between being an ENTHUSIASTIC fan and being an entitlement whore douchebag asshole fuckwad.

Still A Customer."

Comment

One of the FES's and the former ASM are complete opposites, FES is a Steelers fan. Former ASM is a Cowboy fan. Whenever the two teams would compete each other, if it fell on a Sunday that they played and both would be working, we'd all know which teams were / had been playing that perticular Sunday.

Even so, they never did anything stupid like douchebag there.
              Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

To paraphrase Stephen Colbert:

"My local team is the best team that ever was and ever will be... until I move"
                Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!

Comment

If you couldn't tell by the avatar, I'm a Michigan fan. Been one for a long time. But yeah, I wouldn't expect a say Ohio State fan to leave because I wanted a seat. They were there first.

Comment

Yay Terps!! But only when they aren't playing the Hokies.

People are pretty chill about pro teams around here (except for Cowboys fans) but with large amounts of UT and ATM alumni (sorry, you write your logo like that, I'm calling you that) in the city, college stuff gets crazy if you go to a bar with both games. Even if your college sucked up all your life savings, you still don't have the right to be an EW though.

Comment

Actually... re: Cowboys/Redskins.

I grew up in Columbia, MD, with two die-hard 'Skins fans as my parents. We proudly hopped on the Bandwagon early. Then, my eighth grade year, back in 1993/4, my dad gets transferred to Plano, TX. Which is a suburb of Dallas.

The only Cowboys game we attended was their at-home game against the Redskins. We were surrounded by Cowboys fans, wearing our Redskins shirts, but apart from some good-natured ribbing, we were treated just like what we were: football fans.

The Hogettes were sitting two rows behind us. They said they love coming to Dallas, because the fans are so nice to them, and hate going to Philadelphia, since the fans there will practically try to kill them.

Really, the Cowboys/Redskins rivalry is just that-- a rivalry. The Eagles/Redskins rivalry is more akin to a blood feud.

This has nothing really to do with the topic. Just felt I should say.

On topic: Yeah, total entitlement whore, glad that he was told to go pound sand. That's just freakin' ridiculous.
                      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Wow.. that is a special brand of stupid. I.. wow.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post

It is only natural that behavior should twist its way into the Entitlement Mentality.

For some people, Football is more important than church.
                          Oh gods, I hate those commercials (if they're the ones I'm thinking of). I get so much crap from customers about those commercials, when a certain game is blacked out due to whatever bloody reason. AHG.
                          *~*THIS SIG HAS BEEN PASSED DOWN THE ARMSTRONG LINE FOR GENERATIONS!*~*

It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.-Elijah Snow

Comment

I've been wearing my UO Ducks hat to work, here in UW Husky territory. Coworker asked in a snarky tone: "What kind of hat is THAT?" I smugly replied "It's the hat of a winning team!" (Yeah, yeah, I know all about my avatar's horrible record. Season ticket sufferer).
                            Last edited by skeptic53; 11-23-2010, 04:37 PM.
                            Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
                            TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

Comment

I still get heat for not giving a rats ass one way or the other about football or any other sporting event. Screw 'em.

Comment

Working...
                              X