Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apparently you don't have to pay for work! Who knew!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apparently you don't have to pay for work! Who knew!

Sigh.

Had someone who was hiring me try to undercut my usual rates. I was polite but firm, told them that those are my usual rates and etc. They went off on a rant about "well if you expected people to pay you anything, you shouldn't have gone into the arts, you stupid ungrateful bh." I'm pretty sure my job is, I don't know, a real job. This is evidenced by the fact that YOU called me to HIRE me.

I think you are confused about which one of us is the stupid one.

I am so close to getting burned out that it's not even funny.

That person was just completely incompetent at their job (as obviously it involves being able to deal with people and acquisition of, you know, contractors and employees without flipping the eff out). Although, nobody ever said it was an easy road as an artist... keep your head up dear

Comment

Quoth Versalia View Post
      Although, nobody ever said it was an easy road as an artist... keep your head up dear
      Yeah, yeah, I know. Just tired of juggling idiots. This person was offering me something that worked out to about $1.50 an hour, tops. Just plain rude.

Comment

What a complete asshat!!! *offers hugs and cookies*

You have to ask yourself, do you really need their job?

Cause if it was me, the minute the "stupid ungrateful biatch" line was uttered I would have teminated any conact with them.

They will most likely bitch and moan about the whole job, delay in paying you. Then will most likely claim what you have done is wrong and demand their money back.
        "When did you get a gold plated toilet?"
        "We don't have a gold plated toilet"
        "Oh dear, I think I just peed in your Tuba"

-Jasper Fforde

Comment

Quoth raw456 View Post
          What a complete asshat!!! *offers hugs and cookies*

You have to ask yourself, do you really need their job?

Cause if it was me, the minute the "stupid ungrateful biatch" line was uttered I would have teminated any conact with them.

They will most likely bitch and moan about the whole job, delay in paying you. Then will most likely claim what you have done is wrong and demand their money back.
          Yeah, me too, I'd be like all "Well, good news sir! Now you won't be paying me anything, cuz' I'm not working for you!" (CLICK)
          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
            Yeah, me too, I'd be like all "Well, good news sir! Now you won't be paying me anything, cuz' I'm not working for you!" (CLICK)
            Haha. Yeah, I said something along the lines of "Well, I'm afraid that we're at an impasse then, because I will not work for lower than (rate)."

Would have not been worth it after being called names anyway.

Comment

Some people just don't get how much work art actually can take. I have a good friend who is an artist, and I learned a lot about how much effort goes into producing even simple pieces.

It's skilled labor, and demands the wage of someone who is skilled. Don't want to pay it? Draw your own.
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Yeah, the old "anyone can do that" excuse

Well, yeah, anyone with a functioning hand and arm can draw....

Now, if you want those drawings to actually RESEMBLE something....
                - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Now, now, when you're talking about *art*, the end result doesn't have to resemble anything.

Now, if you're talking about graphic arts, then it has to resemble exactly what the client ordered. Whether that is anything identifiable is up to the client.

Next time, Taboo, let the bitch know you're a graphic artist, not a fine artist. You produce on command, not just as the mood strikes you, therefore, you command contract rates. Evil Overlord is a graphic artist, and that's how he handles it.
                  Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Heh, a guy I knew wanted me to make him a warlocks robe for a con, based on a velvet bathrobe. It would have been about 100-120 hours of embroidery.

He wanted me to do it for $25.

NO.
                    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I learned my lesson about what artists do, and expect, when I paid an artist to do the cover art for my fourth and fifth novels.
                      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

The National Endowment for the Arts budget is $160M+. No, art is not cheap.
                        http://www.nea.gov/about/09Annual/20...ual-Report.pdf

Comment

That is why I made my hubby draw up contracts when he does computer jobs. People would agree to the price and then pay less cause well it only took 2 hours not 3 like said. What no I dont think so, its a three hour min pay.

Comment

Yeah, I do make people sign contracts because sadly the people who will try to slip out of paying seem to just be in greater numbers in the arts.

I've been telling people I'm an illustrator, but perhaps I should be more adamant on the graphic arts vs fine arts difference, since most people seem to miss that uh... little distinction.

Comment

Try this.... Tell them that the economy is bad and that you have bills to pay, family to feed, etc. If they still complain about the price, say something like, "Ok, let's call your boss and have them cut your salary and see how you feel about that." That should shut them up.
                              I work at a movie theatre behind the concession stand, and I constantly have to put up with asshole who just have to put their in about our prices, so I have a general idea of what you have to put up with. So many times I just wanted to snap at them and say, "Look if you don't like the prices, then don't buy it. All the complaining in the world isn't going to make the prices come down."

Comment

Working...
                              X