This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Questions

These are some of the most stupid questions customers have asked me throughout the years.

Customer: Do you know where the restrooms are?
    Me: No. That's classified. If they told me they'd have to shoot me.

Note: There was a huge neon sign suspended from the mirrored ceiling just behind me that said, "RESTROOMS ---->"
    ____

If the door to the bagel shop next door is locked, does that mean they're closed?
    ____

On Hilton Head Island in South Carolina:

1) Customer: Is the Boston scrod fresh?
    Me: Yes. Of course it is. Didn't you just see the FedEx man deliver it?

2) Do you have to leave the island to get to Savannah, GA?
    ____

One night at the upscale restaurant where I worked a customer came in and ordered our special for the night. The special was whole fried flounder. I served the dish, and after a couple of bites the customer got a strange look on his face.

Customer: This fish has bones in it.
    Me: Yes. You ordered a whole flounder... Not a fillet...

Customer: I'm afraid to swallow. I might get a bone stuck in my throat.
    Me: Funny... that's what I said last night. [For the record, I couldn't help myself]

The customer's jaw hit the floor exposing bits of fish and fish bones in his agape mouth. At this point I just knew this rich regular would have me fired. It was my first week on the job. Imagine my surprise when he tipped me $80 on a $70 tab and then came in to eat every time I worked a shift.... lmao...
    ____

When I worked at a generic, franchised/corporate bar & grill where the menu never changes:

I answered the phone in the mandatory generic way, "Thank you for calling blah blah, this is so-and-so speaking. How may I help you?

The caller said he was a regular customer. Then he asked, "Do you have sticky buns?" (which we didn't)

I replied, "Mine aren't sticky. Are yours?"
    ____

In the auto repair shop I now run:

1) Customer: I have a $59.90 coupon for a brake service. What does that include?
    Me: It includes new brake pads and turning the rotors if they can be turned. What are your brakes doing?
    Customer: They're making a noise.
    Me: Are they squeaking?
    Customer: They were squeaking about four months ago. Now they're just really grinding.
    Me: When was the last time you had a brake service?
    Customer: I bought the car used about two years ago. I don't think it had a brake service before that, and I've never replaced them.
    Me: We'll look at your brakes and measure your rotors to see if they're thick enough to be resurfaced. If they are too thin, they'll have to replaced. I'll let you know before we do any work to the vehicle.

After diagnosis:

Me: Sir, you're rotors are so thin they are probably glowing red hot during regular use. Your rotors must be replaced before you lose your brakes altogether.
    Customer: Can't you just throw some brake pads on it?! I heard about garages scamming sports car drivers but not family car owners!
    Me: It's true. I'm insisting you replace your rotors and pads because you own a four door vehicle with two car seats in the back. If you had a two-seater I'd give you brake pads and NO warranty.
    Customer: What do the doors have to do with the brakes???!!!
    Me: Well, since you have a four door with two baby seats that, presumably, hold two babies I cannot, in all good conscience, allow you to use a brick wall to stop your car.
    ____

2) Customer: I've got this coupon for a tune-up (new spark plugs) Can I use it?
    Me: Certainly. Are you getting a tune-up for maintenance purposes or are you having trouble with your car?

Customer: Well, I think it's misfiring (missing a spark).
    Me: Are any of the warning lights on?
    Customer: The check engine light is on.
    Me: Is the car doing anything else?
    Customer: Sometimes it won't start. It stutters sometimes. Oh, and it hesitates.

After diagnosis:

Me: Sir, your car is 16 years old and has 230.000 miles on it, yet you seem to have the original spark plug wires (held together with electrical tape), distributor cap and distributor rotor in the vehicle (all commonly replaced ignition parts). In order to get your vehicle to start reliably and alleviate the misfire, these things have to be replaced. It requires 1.5 hours of labor @ $70/hr and $85 in parts.
    Customer: What?! You mean to tell me that's not included in the $29.90 coupon?! This is a scam.

*It seems that 90% of the population thinks a tune-up will solve any problem, and any garage who says otherwise is ripping them off. I recently had to explain why a 2 year old work van needed an engine replacement. I'm thinking it might have had something to do with the fact that their last oil change was 46.754 miles ago... duh
    ____

Quoth DigitalEyes View Post
    Customer: I'm afraid to swallow. I might get a bone stuck in my throat.
    Me: Funny... that's what I said last night. [For the record, I couldn't help myself]

Damnit! I told you people that coke is murder on my sinuses.

How in the name of Zeus's butthole you didn't get fired is a mystery.

M
    I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

bloody hilarious (but I"d have fired you myself for the sticky buns comment LOL).

Off-topic question...

How often should tune-ups and oil-changes be done? (total newb w/cars and I don't want to mess up my first one when I buy it).
      GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
        bloody hilarious (but I"d have fired you myself for the sticky buns comment LOL).

Off-topic question...

How often should tune-ups and oil-changes be done? (total newb w/cars and I don't want to mess up my first one when I buy it).
        I do my oil change when they send me a card telling me it's time hehehe. Also my dealer puts a little static cling sticker in the corner of the windshield to tell when it's due (X date or Y amount of miles). But I bought new from the dealer, and I still get cheap oil changes from them. And they can always find something else to do.... I'm not always the most timely in getting it done, maybe 1000 miles or so beyond, but 45000...jeez! (I think it's supposed to be done every 3000 miles or so.)

Sticky buns... ...I love you
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I have no idea about the tune-up question, but as for oil changes, I believe the technical answer is every 3,000 miles. If you want, you CAN push it to every 5,000 miles but that's kinda bad for your engine. I'd stick to around 3,000 miles.
          "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Quoth Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
            How in the name of Zeus's butthole you didn't get fired is a mystery.
            I've actually gotten not fired for much worse. The key is being lucky enough to have a VERY cool customer that finds it funny and takes a liking to you, like that customer apparently did.
            "The things that I remember best - those are the things I wasn't supposed to do…."

I'm coming back as a Schooner Wharf Bar dog.

Comment

As far as oil changes go, for standard oil every 3 months or 3000 miles whichever comes first. If you go for the more expensive wholly synthetic oil you can go 6 mos or 10000 miles. Spark plugs should probably be checked twice a year, as well as the air filter.
              The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Please for the love of all that is holy change your oil every 3,000 miles.

I JUST came off an ordeal where my engine blew two rods because I slacked off and didn't get it changed for about...

....9,000 miles. #<_<#

And a $32 oil change is a LOT cheaper than a $3K new engine.
                Saving the planet and everything on it is certainly a daunting task; but see, push has come to shove...Let's roll.

- Inga Muscio

Comment

Quoth ToasterQueen View Post
                  And a $32 oil change is a LOT cheaper than a $3K new engine.
                  You could just get a new car (pre-owned of course) for $3K.

As for the comments on the original post, absolute classics. Well done!
                  This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Generally, your oil should be changed every 3000 miles or every 3 months. Oil gets really gunky if a car isn't driven regularly. New cars have double platinum spark plugs which need to be changed about every 100,000 miles (as opposed to the old copper core plugs that are changed every 30,000 miles). Some new cars have iridium plugs which last 100,000 to 120,000 miles. Iridium plugs are very expensive (about $30 per plug), so it's good they don't need to be changed very often.

I should mention that I was a bartender when I served the man with the fish. Bartenders can really push the envelope. It also didn't hurt that I was a cute little 23 girl at the time.

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
                      How often should tune-ups and oil-changes be done?
                      Your vehicle manufacturer will give you this information when you but your car/truck/SUV. Generally speaking, tune-up frequency is probably only necessary every 25 - 30K, or once every two to three years with new cars. Older cars should be done more frequently; every 20 - 25k.

Oil changes should be done once every 5k for normal combined city/country driving. If you travel solely in the urban jungle or on dirt roads the frequency should be once every 3k.

Lets not forget the other essentials. The fluid in your automatic tranny and your brake fluid should be changed once every 30k or every 2 years. Coolant should be changed once every 2 years in warmer climates and yearly in colder climates.

All of these fluids are colored differently to make it easier to identify them.

Bright Green: radiator coolant, this is also very slippery to the touch.

Light or Dark Brown: if you change the oil often it will be a light brown, if not the fluid will be a darker brown. Make sure to change your engine oil every 3-5000 miles.

Bright Blue: windshield washer fluid. (Winter washer fluids can be orange, pink or yellow).

Light Brown: if there is also a strong odor of rotten eggs, this is 90 weight or gear lube. It may be leaking from the rear axle center section or the manual transmission.

Red Fluid: Automatic transmission fluid or power steering fluid. Note where the fluid is coming from – it could be long life coolant

Clear: Power steering fluid or water from the condenser on the A/C unit.

Light Yellow: Brake fluid is light yellow when new as it absorbs water the fluid becomes a dark muddy brown. Brake fluid absorbs 2% water over a one year period under normal braking conditions. This is a very important fluid and should be changed every other year.

Amber: Gasoline, but there will be a distinct odor.
                      Last edited by bigjimaz; 01-31-2007, 12:35 AM.
                      This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

Back when I worked customer service for (car manufacturer), I would always hear "But it's only 2 years old..." or whatever the vehicle's age was. People didn't seem to realize that yes, it may be young in years, but it's got the mileage of a car 3, 4, or 5 times it's age. 2 year old cars with 80-100k miles do need repair.

Same for really old cars with super low mileage. Trying to explain to some people why their gasket or other part may need to be replaced. The car may only have 20k miles, but it's 8-10 years old. Fluids age, gaskets dry out, and sitting is not good for any machine that was created to be in motion.
                        That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

there was a night. 2 guests came up to the front desk soon after they got into their rooms

"where can we find some ladies?"

I promptly told them a few strip clubs and bars within a few miles.

"no.. i want ladies with class"

You know.... I really dont understand what they want. free sex, one night stand, thousand dollar a night hooker, whatever they want, they were just one phone call away to get one of those hookers who drive a lexus or jaguar. but it will cost them.

Comment

What faucet/towelbar/vanity/plant/damn-near-anything should I buy?

I live in Douche Bag Falls, and my house was built in 1962, what size pipe do I have? Well whats the average size?

Why wont my houseplants grow outside?

Do you have any plants that never need to be watered, don't need sunlight, and are always in bloom?
                            Shut up and jump.

Comment

In response to bigjimaz's post, it is extremely important to know that some coolants do NOT mix. Dexcool, which is an extended life red coolant and used in all new Chevrolet vehicles, can never be mixed with any coolant other than a U.S. yellow coolant (yes, that's United States coolant and, yes, it must be yellow). If Dexcool is mixed with anything else, it will congeal in your radiator, and it will first ruin the radiator and then possibly cause you to blow a head gasket. If you overheat while driving a recent model car it is better to fill the radiator with water if you're not sure what coolant to use. If your car is overheating, do not continue to put water in the radiator for an extended period of time as it will cause gunk to build in the radiator and eventually may cause a blown head gasket or cracked cylinder head. Anything is cheaper than an engine replacement.

FYI, the red coolant in newer Toyotas is the same as the old blue-green coolant you can pick up in any gas station. The only difference is, oddly enough, that the Toyota red is slightly more likely to cause clogs. If you own a Toyota have your mechanic replace the red coolant with U.S. yellow when you do a routine coolant flush after your vehicle's warranty expires. That U.S. yellow coolant is an extended life coolant that can be mixed with anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X