This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
    I can kind of see why he would have to, but I also think that that's taking it a bit too far. Am I odd?
    I agree on that. Is mooning an under aged child really a sexual act? (Not that I condone it. He should have thought about that before doing it.) What about families that visit nudist resorts or nude beaches? Everyone there, both adults and children certainly are exposed to bare buttocks, right? So, why aren't the nudist adults being required to register as sex offenders?

What's next? A man is a sex offender because while at the beach, his suit fell down and some child saw his rear end for a second or two? Gimme a break!
    Last edited by greensinestro; 02-02-2007, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Quoth Can I Help Your A$$? View Post
      I'm not so sure I have any objections to "foul language" around children or otherwise. It just doesn't seem to be a big issue for me. The kid might learn some stuff, ask his folks, and whatever happens then is the responsibility of mom and dad to figure out how to deal with it without making up aq trauma where none exists. That's just a thought.
      While I don't think that foul language is a big deal to me, I understand that it is to most other people, so I do my best to watch my mouth if I'm not sure if there's anyone impressionable or offended by it within earshot.

Comment

Quoth greensinestro View Post
        What's next? A man is a sex offender because while at the beach, his suit fell down and some child saw his rear end for a second or two? Gimme a break!
        If a parent raises enough stink to a DA then, well, yes.
        "The things that I remember best - those are the things I wasn't supposed to do…."

I'm coming back as a Schooner Wharf Bar dog.

Comment

Quoth Can I Help Your A$$? View Post
          I'm not so sure I have any objections to "foul language" around children or otherwise. It just doesn't seem to be a big issue for me. The kid might learn some stuff, ask his folks, and whatever happens then is the responsibility of mom and dad to figure out how to deal with it without making up aq trauma where none exists. That's just a thought.
          Exactly what I was thinking!

Quoth nick1091 View Post
          While I don't think that foul language is a big deal to me, I understand that it is to most other people, so I do my best to watch my mouth if I'm not sure if there's anyone impressionable or offended by it within earshot.
          But how are you know if someone around you is impressionable and/or offended? And, I'm sorry, (and I know that some won't agree) couldn't it be construed as falling under the auspices of the 1st Amendment?

I know I'm probably going to get yelled down on this, but it seems to me that society (especially here in the US) is becoming all too concerned about offending someone.

Here recently in Albuquerque, the New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science cancelled a lecture by a former UNM history prof who was going to talk about Greek history. Why? Because they recieved one, one letter of complaint! It was in reference to a stupid comment, that does not bear repeating, that he made on 9-11 (as a matter of fact, he was forced out of UNM because of it). What he was going to lecture about has absolutely nothing to do with the comment, yet the museum officials cave to one person who was not going to the lecture in the first place!
          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
            But how are you know if someone around you is impressionable and/or offended? And, I'm sorry, (and I know that some won't agree) couldn't it be construed as falling under the auspices of the 1st Amendment?

I know I'm probably going to get yelled down on this, but it seems to me that society (especially here in the US) is becoming all too concerned about offending someone.
            While I agree that your example is definitely an example of overzealous political correctness run amok, I don't think it really relates to spouting off profanities in public.

In just a cursory look at these very boards, you'll see threads admonishing those who carry on loud cel phone conversations while being waited on, people going into great and unwanted detail about their personal issues (some quite graphic), etc. It's a complaint because the people who were on the receiving end of what the person was saying didn't care to hear it. I don't really think it's a First Amendment issue. It's just there's a time and place for those types of conversation, and most people are selective in terms of who they talk to in certain ways.

Don't get me wrong - when I'm with my buddies or people I know well, I'll let the expletives fly. But by the same token, I'm not going to spew 4 letter words all over the place in front of children, because I don't think it's the courteous thing to do.

Comment

Ah, just drink water it's better for you. One of the best things I ever did was quit drinking pop. Of course bottled water is a scam as well

Comment

In Australia, the 2 litre Coke is about $2.52! With the current US/AUS exchange rates, that works out to be about $1.96 in the US.
                'Our brightest days are yet to shine'
                'You see the depths of my heart, and You love me the same'

Comment

Quoth reformedwaitress View Post
                  If a parent raises enough stink to a DA then, well, yes.
                  See? That's just not right. Most of us have been to parties, have had a little too much to drink and so on. Now, I have never done anything like moon people at a party, let alone be at a party like that where children are present to begin with. What's awful is people out there are scarred for the rest of their lives because some mean, nasty person went too far to report someone doing something that at one time seemed OK to do.

Now, if this guy had gone and violated that child or touched her somewhere not appropriate, then we have a reason to justify that man being a sex offender.

Comment

Quoth Parts_Drone View Post
                    Ah, just drink water it's better for you. One of the best things I ever did was quit drinking pop. Of course bottled water is a scam as well

Ah, but why do you think this lady was described as being "big"?

I also quit drinking pop, although it was always the diet kind I drank. My doctor told me the carbonated acid eats away at your stomach, which was why I was getting extreme heartburn all the time. When I stopped, the heartburn literally went away.

Comment

Quoth greensinestro View Post
                      I agree on that. Is mooning an under aged child really a sexual act? (Not that I condone it. He should have thought about that before doing it.) What about families that visit nudist resorts or nude beaches? Everyone there, both adults and children certainly are exposed to bare buttocks, right? So, why aren't the nudist adults being required to register as sex offenders?

I agree completely. Just because a child accidentally sees someoness bare ass, especially when that person didn't know the child was there does not make him a sex offender. That kid probably sees worse flipping around on the TV.

People take things way too far and don't use common sense. It's just a kneejerk reaction to the PC police and they'll report an innocent bit of horseplay with friends that will follow a person for the rest of his life.
                      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

You know, to the unhealthiness of soda comments. As a personal trainer, I recommend to my clients at times a recovery diet on our rougher workouts. You have to replenish those carbs. A good way to get those 300 cals is to eat a banana and drink one soda. That seriously takes care of, easily 300.

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                          I agree completely. Just because a child accidentally sees someoness bare ass, especially when that person didn't know the child was there does not make him a sex offender. That kid probably sees worse flipping around on the TV.

People take things way too far and don't use common sense. It's just a kneejerk reaction to the PC police and they'll report an innocent bit of horseplay with friends that will follow a person for the rest of his life.
                          Never mind the word "accidentally". As I stated earlier, what about parents who go to nudist resorts and bring their children along? Is someone going to call the cops and the district attorney to arrest every single adult that has not a stitch of clothing on? And, what about the children? Are they going to be arrested as well and then have to register as sex offenders? It's just getting way out of hand anymore.

But this is getting way off the topic now. I think having someone arrested for having a foul mouth like this nasty woman is a little extreme, even though she was offensive. It's not as if she was breaking any laws. She's just a royal fat-assed bitch!

Comment

I agree that cursing loudly, in public, where children may be present is discourteous, but no cause to arrest someone. Talk with children. Explain things to them. They will grow up to be decent individuals, and most likely, not be traumatized.

I think the woman in the OP was extremely discourteous and I probably would have shot her an annoyed expression as well. It may be within her RIGHTS to express herself that way, and while I respect that, it doesn't mean she SHOULD go spouting off that way.

I have a super sailor mouth when I want to, but I know when to turn it off. If a person tells me they are offended by my language (sometimes if I get really bad I will ask if they want me to stop) then I use different words! Not that hard! Imagine that? Opening our mouths and communicating, rather than calling the police at the drop of a hat!

And yes, I agree that the young man dropping his pants was irresponsible. I DO NOT think he should have to register as a sex offender. That is a TERRIBLE label to throw on someone and should NOT be used lightly.

/rant
                            I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

There's a time and place for everything. I have a colorful vocabulary myself (just read my LJ at certain times ), but I try to keep that to a minimum, especially when kids are present. There are times though, when no other words are appropriate

However, using them for every word in the sentence makes you sound like an uneducated hick. Don't believe me? Watch the Jerry Springer show sometime
                              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                              X