X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help: Stinky Customers

Hello all.
    I need to ask for some help here.
    I work in a public library and it attracts all manner of weidos.
    There is one particular guy that really winds me up, whom I have nicknamed 'Claws' or "Germs'. He comes in dirty and smelly with long filthy nails, which he taps on the desk as he speaks(loudly) to his multiple personalities.
    I keep thinking that he is going to morph into Freddy from "Nightmare on Elm Street" and claw me with his nasty nails.
    Today he came in sniffing loudly and left his dirty tissues on the keyboard.EEEW! Other people have to sit there too...
    We spoke to security who said they can't do anything because he is not breaking any rules.
    Does anyone know of a way around this?
    I can't deal with another day of this....
    Last edited by Ackee; 02-05-2007, 06:02 PM. Reason: spelling, as usual
    ...but I'm a bastard and so desensitized to the scum of humanity that I'm immune to the Stun status effect.
    Quoth Gravekeeper

I empathize with you on this completely, but your security is completely correct on this one. Unless this guys is breaking a rule by being disruptive or destructive then there is little that you can do. My best friend has been in the public library here for near on 8 years and has had similiar stories to this one that he has shared. In any case, the only one I can recall where the person in question was finally given the boot was when they were caught using the public computers inappropriately. Bottom line, unless this guy is being disruptive to other patrons or steps way out of line the only real thing you can do is smile and nod as they say.
    Last edited by Chanlin; 02-05-2007, 02:42 PM. Reason: Self stupidity, and bad spelling

Comment

Quoth Chanlin View Post
      Bottom line, unless this guy is being disruptive to other patrons or steps way out of line the only real thing you can do is smile and nod as they say.
      Do what coronors do, use vicks around the nose. You won't smell him and maybe he'll get the hint when you smear it under your nose.......naw, he won't.
      Last edited by NightAngel; 02-05-2007, 06:07 PM. Reason: NO NEED TO QUOTE ENTIRE POST

Comment

Unfortunately, if you deal with foul smelling people enough you start to get used to it.
        "I don't have an anger problem I have an idiot problem!" - Hank Hill

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run around in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Comment

I'll never get used to it- my nose is way to sensitive.

I keep some Febreeze or the like around so I can spritz my work area when smelly people are about.
          "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
          HellGate: London

Comment

What's worse tho... people who don't wash or people who smell like they bathe in their perfume? O_o
            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
            My DeviantArt.

Comment

There's a homeless guy who hangs out in my old store. Normally it's not a problem, though some customers are bothered by his mere presence, but too bad for them. He reads the paper, and looks at books, puts away anything he takes out, and even occasionally is seen straightening shelves and cleaning up after other customers. He even sings quietly to himself and if you're close enough, he's got a really nice voice. They let him stash his stuff behind the door in the vestibule, and it's all good. Honestly, I'd take him over some of the other regulars.... But sometimes he gets a tad ripe and then it's hard even be in the area where he usually hangs. I know at least once they ended up having to say something to him. Though this is on private property so I guess the rules are different in the public library.
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Truckers can be stinky too. We don't get too many of there here but i have worked at places where they were the main source of business. Theres something about sitting in a cramped truck cab marinating for hours in cigarette smoke and fast food farts that brings out a special type of stinkiness.

As for your homeless guy, you may just have to suck it up and endure. Unless you take a collection for some travel size toiletries to give to him. Nah, even then he probably wouldn't take the hint.

Comment

Just do what my best friend and his roommates used to do to their stinky couch-dweller. Spray him with the Febreeze when he's not looking.

Oh, and make sure you have Clorox wipes and such about to wipe up after he leaves, for your health and the health of others.
                  "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Yeh, cleaning around him with strong smelling cleaning fluids might give him some hints.
                    And as for the nails.....yechhh. We get a man who comes in every few weeks, with long yellow nails, and whenever he hands you money, he always manages to scrape you with those nails. I always put his change on the counter rather than put it into his hand.

Comment

There's really nothing you can do when it comes to smelly customers. I remember one that I had years ago that you could smell her coming a mile away. I was the lucky one that got to help her. I had to literally hold my breath til she was gone from the counter. I almost turned blue that day.

Someone mentioned some posts back about it being better to smell or bathe in perfume? It works both ways. One of my co workers had one that bathed in perfume a while back and it sent her allergies into overdrive. She was sick for three days because of it. Either way, I find the scent lingers. Regardless of which way you go.

Comment

I had one at Kinko's that was a smoker. I don't mean any offense to the smokers here, but a non-smoker can smell if a person smokes. And believe you me, this guy SMOKED. It went beyond the residual scent of smoke in a smoker's clothes and hair. This guy had so much crap in his lungs that I could feel my eyes tearing up and my throat tightening up just being in his presence (I'm a bit allergic). This guy smoked so much his skin was literally gray.

I swear I don't know how he got enough oxygen. Judging from the color of his skin, I guess he wasn't.

He was a nice guy, so I had no desire to be rude to him or act offended around him. I did my best to "not notice." But I could barely breathe in his presence. It was rough.

Comment

RK:

I am a smoker and I know EXACTLY the kind of person you're talking about. There are some smokers who take their smoking WAAAAYYY too seriously and their smell nearly knocks me out. They make you wonder how anyone has enough time to smoke 5 packs a day in an unventilated closet?
                          ----

Now, I've encountered many stinky people in my time but the worst was this guy who came into the old BBV about 6 or 7 months ago. I was putting away some retail DVD's and he came up and started asking me questions. The smell was like a brick wall slamming into me- I don't know what the smell WAS nor will I guess. But I'm sure it took a VERY long time to build up that kind of funk.

I can usually maintain a straight face and make it through a transaction with someone who stinks really bad. But not this time...

Before I even realized what I was doing my hands were covering my face and I had backed very quickly out of Retail right into the New Release wall.

He didn't even notice! He just kept on about how he wanted The Matrix.

I nearly RAN to another section telling him to, "Stay there- I'll get it for you!"

He followed me of course.

I grabbed the DVD and nearly ran to the counter and cashed him through at light speed before I vomited or passed out from not breathing.
                          "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
                          HellGate: London

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                            What's worse tho... people who don't wash or people who smell like they bathe in their perfume? O_o
                            Ug, Perfumers. I can't even sit in the pews when I attend church with my folks because of the little old ladies that soak in the stuff. Then again, I'm almost floored sometimes when walking by a scent shop at the mall when they have thier candles/oils going, so I might be really sensative to that kind of thing.
                            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I am super-sensitive to perfumes and the like. I can't even go down a laundry detergent aisle at the grocery store without inducing a migraine. When a perfume bather tries to sit next to me on the train, I will very obviously get up and move as far away as possible.
                              The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Working...
                              X