This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes I am a mind reader

This happened, not once, not twice, but MANY times today!!!

I was working the first register in our store, which has the cigarettes behind it. So many people came up to me today and stated "Pall Mall" or "Marlboro" or "Kool". Okay, we sell 5 types of Pall Mall, 11 types of Marlboro and 4 types of Kool. I'm sorry I forgot my mind reading skills today, but I really need your help here.

Do you want a pack, two packs, a carton? Menthol or non-menthol? King size, Super, 120's? Regular flavor, Light, Special Blend, Bold?

When I point to the first cigarette pack for the brand you mentioned, be sure to shake your head like I'm stupid and groan. That will just encourage me to immediately pull the correct flavor, size and number of packs/cartons you want out of my ass

I have never been a smoker but I know my smoker friends definitely have their preferences...I don't get why anyone who smokes regularly wouldn't know EXACTLY which brand/flavor/pack type/quantity they want before they even enter the store. *facepalm*
    "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

It's my experience that some of our regulars at the c-store just expect you to have them memorized. I do have a lot of my customers memorized, however, since I switched to early, early mornings I've had an issue. Twice, I've had people come in and want "cigarettes", or once even "the green one" and I had no clue what they wanted. My manager j knew, and was standing right there, thankfully, but still..don't assume everyone KNOWS what you want. I also have this happen with chew...thank goodness I'm able to recognize that "long cut wintergreen" generally means Skoal, and not the 50 other brands that carry such a flavor!
      "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

I would have told the customer:

Pick your poison or I'll pick it for you.
        Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
          ...of packs/cartons you want out of my ass
          Do it and they'll be forever complaining "Only Teefies have the right flavour!"
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Blade_Raver View Post
            Absinthe? Belladonna? Iocane?
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Blade_Raver View Post
              I would have told the customer:

and somehow I'm not sure I'd want to know what poison you'd pick for them.

Comment

I don't understand this at all. I'm a smoker, and I know how many variations there are of my brand, how many I want, and know that the person I'm talking to (unless I'm a regular) doesn't. It's not that much effort to say Pall Mall Red, filtered, carton. Only, you know, nicer and in order.

Comment

Now I have to admit I have gone into a store not knowing the details of the cigarettes I was there to get. Of course that was quite a long time ago, when you could send your kid to the corner store to get them. And I just had to hand over the money and ask for Dad's Pall Malls (I think that's what he smoked then, the pkg was red). (Dad's smoking may be part of the reason smoke makes me sick, hmmm). Back then i don't think I ever knew any 9-15 year olds that smoked, and I lived in a bad neighborhood.

Comment

heh. the in me says, if they don't specify what brand, they obviously want something crazy like "Death cigarettes" or "Hope"... yes that's an actual brand in Japan. Not sure what they're hoping for though...

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                      and somehow I'm not sure I'd want to know what poison you'd pick for them.
                      I'd have picked the pack of cigarettes that had the highest margin of profit for the company and sold them to the customer.

Comment

I think most people either expect you to remember them and their "brand", or they just want to play "The Game" (copyrighted by me) with you.

What is "The Game"? Every convenience store clerk has had it played on them. Or will eventually.

It starts out with "Gimmeapackofmarlborosinabox", so you grab a pack of Marlboro Reds. Then they whine "I wanted LIGHTS!", so you grab a pack of lights (or should I say, GOLD PACK since we can't call cigarettes "light" anymore). Then they scream "I wanted 100s!", so you grab 100s. Then they scream "I wanted MENTHOLS!".....rinse wash repeat. Over and over.

Bitches and assholes and smokers, oh my.
                        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                          Do it and they'll be forever complaining "Only Teefies have the right flavour!"
                          ROFL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yanno dem ass-flavored cigarettes are REALLY the best ones

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
                            ROFL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yanno dem ass-flavored cigarettes are REALLY the best ones
                            An excellent source of fiber? j/k

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
                              a pack, two packs, a carton? Menthol or non-menthol? King size, Super, 120's? Regular flavor, Light, Special Blend, Bold?
                              The most expensive kind.

Quoth EricKei View Post
                              Absinthe? Belladonna? Iocane?
                              Oleander?

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                              ..."Hope"... yes that's an actual brand in Japan. Not sure what they're hoping for though...
                              They're hoping it will taste better?
                              Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Working...
                              X