This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classic Rate Haggler

A few minutes ago I made a reservation for a woman whose call started off normally enough. We established what kind of room she needed, when she needed it and how much it would be. Reservation made -- easy as pie!

Then she asked if we offer pet rooms. I told her we do offer a few, asked if she wanted one, and she responded that she wanted to make sure she got a room that no animal had ever set paw in.

Then she asked if these are nice rooms. I hate that question, because what am I supposed to say? Am I supposed to tell them no, and beg that they run, far, far away before it's too late?

"We usually stay across the road from you," she said, "And I'm just curious as to why your rates are so low. Are you sure they're nice rooms?"

I let my irritation show through. "Yes. They're nice rooms."

"Well, I'm just curious as to why your rates are so much lower than others."

"Ma'am," I said, "If you'd like I can jack the rates way up."

"No, no, no... I just want to make sure you have nice rooms because your rate is so low. I guess we'll just have to look around when we get there."

And now for the punchline.

She asked, "Do you offer any discounts for retired military officers?"

"No, because the rate I gave you is the lowest available."

"So, no AAA or AARP or anything like that?"

"No."

"Alright then... I guess we'll just look at the place when we get there and see what we think."

Now, let's all sit quietly for a moment, hands folded in our laps, and try to think of why this lady might be justifiably called stupid.

(Hums that waltz that plays as the Joker dances with Vikki Vale atop Gotham City Cathedral in the 1989 blockbuster hit movie 'Batman')

Ready? That's correct! Many things add up to SCism in this situation. First, she asked if the rooms are nice. A hotel clerk will say the rooms are nice even if the rooms are, currently, on fire and therefore the question is stupid. Secondly, she had a fit that the rates were too low, which makes her question whether or not we're a fleabag rattrap. This assumption is insulting. Third, despite the fact that the rates were already low enough to worry her, she demanded further discounts and seemed a little put out that the rate wasn't going down any further. This could be considered hypocrisy in some circles.

Stupid questions + veiled insults + hypocritical gimme grab = SC
    Last edited by Antisocial_Worker; 02-16-2007, 02:58 AM.
    Drive it like it's a county car.

Quoth hauntedheadnc View Post
    Stupid questions + veiled insults + hypocritical gimme grab = SC
    Wow, that's quite the trifecta that you had there. I wonder what she thought "nice" would be? Monet in the bathroom? Silk sheets? Belgian truffles on the pillow? Or hand-carved rat traps in the corner?
    I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Quoth Spiffy McMoron View Post
      Wow, that's quite the trifecta that you had there. I wonder what she thought "nice" would be? Monet in the bathroom? Silk sheets? Belgian truffles on the pillow? Or hand-carved rat traps in the corner?
      Apparently to her, "nice" would be about twice what we charge per night. The hotel across the street is the nicest of the chains here in town, but we're their overfow choice if they fill up, which ought to say something about us. We're on very good terms with the staff over there.

But hey, I offered to charge her double our rate, but she wasn't interested. Therefore, we must not be "nice."

Comment

But hey, I offered to charge her double our rate, but she wasn't interested. Therefore, we must not be "nice."
        Hey, it's not like you didn't try to make her happy! Personally, if I'm booking a hotel, I don't want to ask if the rooms are nice. Nice is such a subjective term, how can one person's nice be the same as someone elses?
        I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

I HATE the "are the rooms nice" question!

The other one that really drives me crazy is "Is it a quiet room, because I need a quiet room. No noisy rooms, a QUIET room."

Comment

"I guess we'll just have to look around when we get there."
            I could understand hearing someone say that when they're, oh, say, renting an *apartment* or buying a *house.* But it's a hotel room. What . . .? Are they planning on spending their weekend just sitting in the room saying, "my . . . this is nice . . . isn't it?"
            Last edited by karma_gypsy; 02-14-2007, 11:12 PM. Reason: speeling
            This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Years ago when I work as a desk clerk on the coast, we had a guy book a room for his family and guaranteed it on his cc. Cancelation policy was 48 hours. Guarantees were held past the non-guarantee time of 4pm. That evening he called from a hotel down the street wanting to cancel his room so he could stay where it was cheaper. When I quoted policy he argued that we should adjust our rates to the rest of the area.
              I told him I would be more than willing to move them *up* to the rates across the street but that hotel had ocean views and was on the beach whereas the hotel he wanted to stay hadn't even a pool or jacuzzi let alone an indoor pool/jacuzzi or the tennis courts we had.

He checked in a paid the rate without a peep.

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
              ~Clerks

Comment

"Well, I'm just curious as to why your rates are so much lower than others."
                This is freaking retarted. What kind of answer was she looking for?? "Oh, we're busted. You're right, we have absolutely cruddy rooms. In fact, this hotel used to house lepers but i'm sure they got most of the disease out of the carpets by now."

I get this and the "are your rooms nice" question alot too. I used to respond with "well, what do you mean by nice?" but that leaves the SC and me at an impasse. If nice means we have Belgian Truffles in the rooms, then no, our rooms are not nice at all. F---'in give me something to go on! F---!

Had to vent, sorry. It sucks when the SC's start thinking with their mouths.

Great response to her stupidity HauntedHead.

Comment

Quoth Spiffy McMoron View Post
                  I wonder what she thought "nice" would be? Monet in the bathroom? Silk sheets? Belgian truffles on the pillow? Or hand-carved rat traps in the corner?

I'm going with hand-carved rat traps. Especially if they have subtle differences.
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Want to know what's really funny, folks? Before I left work tonight, she called and cancelled her reservation.

Comment

"Is it a quiet room, because I need a quiet room. No noisy rooms, a QUIET room."
                      woman, that's why they invented EAR PLUGS; sheesh, if noise is such an issue, prepare (it's just like bringing hygiene gear...and yet they forget. i still don't understand how a 'seasoned' traveler comes unprepared ). i've worn them nightly since my second enlistment and my nights couldn't be quieter!

maybe she was thinking of a sound proofed, padded cell instead?

no surprise on that cancellation, must have been the low price that scared her away, since low price always = flea bag.

*also votes for the hand carved rattraps*
                      look! it's ghengis khan!
                      Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Oh I dunno, on the way down to Oklahoma and during our stay during the horse show, we encountered some noisy rooms that ear plugs probably wouldn't have helped with. One was a cheap motel 6 that was VERY close to some train tracks. Didn't get much sleep there....
                        And the extended stay hotel we were in had the fire alarms go off twice during our stay, apparently because some dumbass on the first floor couldn't figure out how to not smoke in his room. Crap, that was loud.

I do have to say that the extended stay hotels were insanely cheap, yet pretty nice. Granted, I have low standards (clean, no wierd smells, and I'm good)

Comment

Quoth HauntedHead
                          "Ma'am," I said, "If you'd like I can jack the rates way up."

Quoth Getoutofmylobby View Post
                          In fact, this hotel used to house lepers but i'm sure they got most of the disease out of the carpets by now."
                          Trivia Time: 95% of the human population is naturally immune to leprosy. It also doesn't make your fingers fall off. It causes nerve damage, so if you require amputation, it's because they've been injured repeatedly and you didn't feel it. (Source: The Colony by John Tayman)
                          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Want to know what's really funny, folks? Before I left work tonight, she called and cancelled her reservation.
                            Yay, she's no longer your problem!

Comment

Quoth alogram View Post
                              I HATE the "are the rooms nice" question!
                              Ugh, God I hate that question too. We get this alot too from people who are going to rent our apartments. I realize that you are going to be living somewhere for a year and want to make sure that you are getting what you think you should be paying for, but by all means, come in and look around first. And what's "nice" to one person, might not be up to standards for the other. "Nice" isn't a very universal adjective, is it?
                              Men have two emotions: Hungry and Horny. If you see him without an erection, make him a sandwich.

Comment

Working...
                              X