X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why don't you understand!?

This wasn't funny. I just need to share it with someone. <sob>

Guy calls up on one of our tech support lines with some installation problems. Alright, no big deal. Walking a caller through the installation is one of the easier types of calls we get.

So I ask him the error:

"I dunno, it popped up and said a bunch of things."

I ask him to elaborate:

"I don't know! Can't you just fix it from there?!"

Yes, I'll get right on magically fixing the problem you won't even tell me the nature of.

I manage to nail down that his anti-virus software is interfering with the installation. Before you install this software you have to disable your antivirus and firewall else they'll interfere or sometimes give a false positive with some products. So I explain to him he has to disable his antivirus.

"How do I do that?!"

Thus the problem begins....I can't tell him how to do this. Not only do we not have specifics of every antivirus on the market but its a liability issue. If I try to help this guy turn off his antivirus and then turn it back on...and he fails. Guess who he'll blame the second he gets a virus? Right-o.

So I explain to him he'll have to check the help files/manual for his antivirus or call the maker of his antivirus for assistance in disabling and re-enabling it. He does not like this.

"Why can't you tell me!? You do this all the time!"

I calmly explain that since we did not make his antivirus software we can't provide support for it. Basically I can't tell you how to use something we didn't make. This displeases Jabba. He continues to demand I help him do it and I continue to explain thats not possible. Every time I do there's 20 seconds of dead silence where I guess he quivers with outrage and his inability to grasp the concept that you can't just call up any computer company and have them fix everything on your computer.

We go around and around till he threatens to return our product due to how unhelpful we're being. I once again, using the tone of voice one uses on a small child and small words, explain that I can't tell him how to use something we did not make. Once again I get stupefied silent outrage.

Then he moves on to demanding that I "check from there" to see if its installed properly. I explain I cannot remotely connect to his computer just to tell him if its installed. Once again he gives me the "Well why not!?!" temper tantrum. He demands to know how he can tell if its installed. I point out that if it installs properly he'll get a window saying so. If it doesn't.....he'll also magically get a window saying so. Either way the computer will inform him.

After 5 minutes of this stupidity he finally threatens to "Try something else" then goes silent for 30 seconds. Then finally tells me thanks in a "Go *&@$ yourself" manner and hangs up.

Why is that so hard to understand? We didn't make it so we can't tell you how to use it. Do you call the company that made your microwave to demand they tell you how to use your toaster? They're both appliances so you must know!

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
    Do you call the company that made your microwave to demand they tell you how to use your toaster? They're both appliances so you must know!
    Well actually I did call the company that made my microwave to tell me how to correct an issue with my toaster.

Of course both were made by General Electric so I was covered.

Better example would be calling the company that made your microwave to tell you how to install a new sink faucet.

Mongo
    I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Hey! No thwarting my analogies. -.-

Comment

Your avatar seems so appropriate for that comment!
        The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Is it wrong that when I read this, I imagined Graveskeeper shaking his metal gauntleted fist (The only thing visible from our view of his high-backed desk chair) and saying in a deep, gravelly voice 'Next time Mongo, NEXT TIME!'
          Check out my webcomic!

Comment

Then he moves on to demanding that I "check from there" to see if its installed properly. I explain I cannot remotely connect to his computer just to tell him if its installed.
            Personally, I would be disturbed if every piece of software I installed allowed the company I bought it from to poke around my computer's hard drive at will.
            But hey, that's just me.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth Polenicus View Post
              Is it wrong that when I read this, I imagined Graveskeeper shaking his metal gauntleted fist (The only thing visible from our view of his high-backed desk chair) and saying in a deep, gravelly voice 'Next time Mongo, NEXT TIME!'
              Whilst scratching my cat under the chin with the other hand....

It certainly does have appeal.

Comment

That was Heathcliff right? I hope I guessed correct...
                I know I'm laughing but it's really not funny. - Me
                "I was in the hall. I know, because I was there." - Clue

Comment

Inspector Gadget, I thought...
                  Could be wrong though, it's been about 10 years since that show stopped running.
                  "I'm not a crazed gunman, dad, I'm an assassin... Well, the difference being one is a job and the other's mental sickness!" -The Sniper

Comment

It's Inspector Gadget.

Dr Claw was awesome.
                    Character flaws aren't a philosophy -Scott Adams

Comment

Aww dammit. I knew it was one of those old-school cartoons I used to watch as a kid. It's been forever so I wasn't sure, but I could picture the dude and everything... the metal glove w/the spikes around the cuff, the fat cat, the totally menacing voice...

How the hell I got Heathcliff I'll never know...
                      I know I'm laughing but it's really not funny. - Me
                      "I was in the hall. I know, because I was there." - Clue

Comment

Not my call but I once overheard a supervisor escalation where a customer was complaining that we couldn't support his connection with someone else's computer, using someone else's ISP while he was on vacation. People are strange.

Comment

Quoth Simply Amazed View Post
                          Not my call but I once overheard a supervisor escalation where a customer was complaining that we couldn't support his connection with someone else's computer, using someone else's ISP while he was on vacation. People are strange.
                          Stupidity knows no bounds. . . . bandwidth theft not excluded it seems.
                          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Why don't you understand?
                            Because it's what I WAAA-aant! :stomps feet and pouts before running away giggling:
                            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth ShortTemperHatesStupidity View Post
                              That was Heathcliff right? I hope I guessed correct...
                              Inspector Gadget, if I'm not mistaken
                              GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Working...
                              X