This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth sms001 View Post
    I don't wanna go out on a limb second guessing someone from their first post, but you seem feisty enough so I have to ask: why didn't you call farty man out on his shenanigans? "Oi! You! Stop farting in my space, or I'll sic Stick-figure girl on you."

Thinking back, I have no idea... maybe at the time I felt a little bad for him? And then after a while it had been long enough that. if I suddenly emerged from my space denouncing him as the Mad Gasser of Ireland, people would probably assume I'd decided to cover up my own gastric distress by picking an innocent fall guy.

And people who do that are barely a step above those who fart at the ATM.
    "Asking an Irish girl to tone it down a notch is about the same as asking a wolf to leave the sheep alone. Good luck with that. " - Jester, about me

Comment

FH - I knew I should have just made a wiki link ^_^

Beignets are deep-fried squares of dough, very very popular back home in the Big Easy. Locals refer to them colloquially as "doughnuts", even tho they look nothing like traditional donuts. Often enjoyed with the local brew, coffee & chicory. It still amazes me that Starbucks was able to get a foothold there. It's not like the notion of "coffee that's strong enough to sit up and bark" (chicory was added to *mellow it out*) or "coffee with milk/cream" aren't exactly new concepts in the area. Absurdly overpriced coffee, yes, that was a novelty at the time ~_~....Which is why it's regarded as mostly a tourist place, kinda like the (justifably rare) national-chain seafood joints like Red Lobster (Only one within 50 miles) or Long John Silver's (I know of TWO).
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Marlowe View Post

And people who do that are barely a step above those who fart at the ATM.
        I'll have you know that farting at an indoor ATM is a proven protective measure from those people who are in such a rush that they stand *Right* *Behind* *Me* like they're shoulder-surfing. If only I had the kind of intestinal disorder that permits gas-on-demand.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
          FH - I knew I should have just made a wiki link ^_^

Beignets are deep-fried squares of dough, very very popular back home in the Big Easy. Locals refer to them colloquially as "doughnuts", even tho they look nothing like traditional donuts.

I LOVE Beignets! When I was in New Orleans, I went to this covered restaurant cafe place with open walls by the river (I forget the name) and had some there, and they were AMAZING. Almost as good as Elephant Ears in Portland and Beaver Tails in Ottawa... although there was a freaking MOUNTAIN of sugar with them. Actually... there's a mountain of sugar in/with everything. It's a wonder Americans aren't in a constant state of hyperglycaemic coma.
          "Asking an Irish girl to tone it down a notch is about the same as asking a wolf to leave the sheep alone. Good luck with that. " - Jester, about me

Comment

That would be Cafe du Monde, the place pictured on that Wiki page. I think New Orleanians are resistant to such health issues, we're used to all the sugar and butter, etc.

One thing I know they used to do -- perhaps they still do -- was to have the servers "mix" the cafe au lait right in front of you on the table...in mid-air o_O In other words, they put the empty cup down on your table and bring out two huge silvery metal coffepots/carafes with really long spouts: One filled with coffee, the other, with hot milk. Then, they would pour them simultaneously from two feet up, such that the streams of liquid would merge en route to your mug. Note - Not the same thing as a latte; this uses black coffee, while a latte uses espresso.

PS -- I mentioned chicory before. It's another term for endive root, and is used to take the harsh edge off of local traditional dark-roasted arabica coffee flavor. The resulting taste supposedly is slightly chocolatey.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Deep fried squares of dough? Ooopsie! I was listening to the thread and now I have these deep-fried bunnies buried in powdered sugar...

My Mom enforces a "You made it, you eat it!" dicta too.
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Tho, speaking of NOLA -- Brennan's recently shut down, which sucks. It, too, was one of the "legendary" places to eat there. The direct cause was losing their lease (HOW?!), tho squabbles within the Brennan family have no doubt made things worse.

Comment

Welcome aboard and thanks for sharing!

I did have one question - are planes something you draw or is it a reference to something else and I'm too slow to figure it out?

Quoth Marlowe View Post

"go see the... girl with the planes"
                  Be a winner today: Pick a fight with a 4 year old.

Comment

Quoth Marlowe View Post
                    YES. I love Voodoo Doughnuts. And Rocco's Pizza (although I heard that closed ) And *deep breath* POWELL'S! I think I could quite happily live in Powell's for EVER.
                    Sadly, Roccos did close. And I agree with you about Powell's; it's the biggest and best bookstore I've ever seen. I could happily spend entire days there.

(I don't live in Portland, but I'm a couple of hours away and visit every chance I get. Wouldn't mind moving there but traffic sucks. Not that it's much better in any other sizeable city...)
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Marlowe View Post
                      "go see the hot redhaired girl with the planes" because "she's got fantastic tits."
                      I can't believe we've had three pages of comment without 'This thread is useless without pictures!'

Hello Marlowe, and welcome! From what I've heard, you creative types certainly do seem to attract the crazy...

Comment

For $25 woman, I'd be tempted to start offering her $5 for her wedding ring or other expensive thing she's wearing. THEN WE HAVE A PROBLEM!

Comment

Quoth TheCheerfulTreeRat View Post
                          I can't believe we've had three pages of comment without 'This thread is useless without pictures!'

I kind of figured that "Tits, or GTFO! *drool*" was kind of frowned upon here?
                          Be a winner today: Pick a fight with a 4 year old.

Comment

Quoth Marlowe View Post
                            I LOVE Beignets! When I was in New Orleans, I went to this covered restaurant cafe place with open walls by the river (I forget the name) and had some there, and they were AMAZING. Almost as good as Elephant Ears in Portland and Beaver Tails in Ottawa... although there was a freaking MOUNTAIN of sugar with them. Actually... there's a mountain of sugar in/with everything. It's a wonder Americans aren't in a constant state of hyperglycaemic coma.
                            Wait... they Serve FOOD in New Orleans? I swear all I had to eat when I was there was beer.

Comment

Welcome!
                              I'm sure you already helped yourself to some of the coffee/tea. And cookies. And brain bleach. And booze. And more brain bleach.

Quoth Marlowe View Post
                              Me: Ma'am, the price is 250-
                              SC: And I'll give you 25.
                              Quick question here (to all, really): does anyone think something like this can actually make sense in some way?

I mean, if she had tried to bargain for something that vaguely could somehow make sense in a way, let's say 225, I could kinda fathom her thought (and I use the word veeeeeeery loosely) process. Not saying that it is nice or that Marlowe should have accepted it, but at least it would kinda make sense. But... a ramdom price like that?

I mean... "Oh, shiny, new Mercedes!" "£50,000 Sir." "I'm giving you 50p, deal?"
                              FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

You're not a unique snowflake unless you create your own mould (Raps)

***GK, Sarcastro, Lupo, LingualMonkey, BookBint, Jester, Irv, Hero & Marlowe fan***

Comment

I love that you were able to tell the woman off who was trying to shove the 25 at you; I suppose you have more leeway than many of us with being able to say things like that to SC's. Nice!
                                Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter.

Comment

Working...
                                X