This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm sorry, who to the what now?

Had a couple (elderly, but not important to the story) come into the store today, just before breakfast rush hits. And of course, it's Sunday, so that means it's the Church was just released breakfast rush.
    I greet the couple, and the guy suddenly pipes up: "Man, that's two weekends in a row you've been working Sunday morning."
    Me: "Bwah?"
    Guy: "You must be extremely religious to not have to go to church on Sundays."
    Me: "Even more bwah?" I would think it would be the other way around, first. Second, it's not your business how, much less, if I am religious, now is it?
    Didn't think about it until I started typing up this post, but if he's seen me two Sundays in a row, that means he's been in the store two Sundays in a row as well, and thus, was trying to get me to give him the okay for not going to church as well.
    "I call murder on that!"

Quoth Juwl View Post
    Didn't think about it until I started typing up this post, but if he's seen me two Sundays in a row, that means he's been in the store two Sundays in a row as well, and thus, was trying to get me to give him the okay for not going to church as well.
    No...I think he was actually trying to recruit you for his church/denomination/whatever. As you yourself said, this was the Church was just released rush.

I have dealt with this before....generally this is them looking for an opening to invite you to come to their church/gathering/services on a Sunday you aren't working. See, they try to bait you to admit to not being religious/not being of their religious bent/whatever, and that is when they pounce.

Disclaimer: I have nothing against people who believe a certain way or who hold certain religious views. I DO have something against people who go out of their way to butt their nose into my business and try to recruit me to their way of thinking. One of my best friends in the world is a very devout Christian, and I have different views...but we get along because neither one of us tries preaching to the other or recruiting the other to our individual views. We accept the fact that we disagree on some things (not just religious) and we still are good close friends, without letting these differences interfere with said friendship.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

I think they were being sarcastic.....

you could always ask if the Sabbath is so precious to them, why are they shopping and out and about instead of in church themselves praying?

and Im talking about them in a sucky customer way, NOT in a religious debate kind of way.
      I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

You could always just say you're a 7th Day Adventist

Comment

Its funny how on Sundays, all the church people come in, and some have to comment about how you are working on that day. (Some are even snooty about it)Its like customers who make the same comments on holidays. If I wasn't working, who would be ringing up your sweet and low?!?!
          WELCOME

Be Nice or I'll Make the Sun Go Away.

Comment

I know that kind all to well. Back when I was working at walmart, the samething happened to me
            Last edited by powerboy; 10-02-2006, 08:38 AM.
            Under The Moon Paranormal Research
            San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Meh, I'd say that I was Jewish. (I'm not and I have nothing against them). That way they can't get on you, and their Sabbath is sundown Friday to Sundown Saturday.

Comment

Well, if nobody came out shopping on The Holy Sabbath then it wouldn't be in the boss's best interested to keep the store open, now would it?

the Church crowd at the Olive Garden never seemed to get this, either.

Comment

I probably would've said I'm an atheist, just to see the look on his face.

Comment

Quoth draftermatt View Post
                    Meh, I'd say that I was Jewish. (I'm not and I have nothing against them). That way they can't get on you, and their Sabbath is sundown Friday to Sundown Saturday.
                    That's what I said to the last guy who asked me if I had found Jesus or something... for some reason he didn't talk to me for the rest of the bus ride
                    free from the evil clutches of crappy tire

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                      Well, if nobody came out shopping on The Holy Sabbath then it wouldn't be in the boss's best interested to keep the store open, now would it?

the Church crowd at the Olive Garden never seemed to get this, either.
                      This here is a wonderful idea. One day a week, same day every week, ALL THE RETAIL GRUNTS GET A DAY OFF! You can get by with only six shopping days a week, people.

And corporations... think about it... cutting 1/7th of your payroll, without decreasing sales much (after all, people ARE going to shop. The only losses would be a bit of impulse purchasing.)

The only trick is to get everyone to take the same day off.

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerk View Post
                        I probably would've said I'm an atheist, just to see the look on his face.
                        I'd have just loved to look the guy dead in the face and say, "I'm pagan," which is technically true. I don't believe in the Christian idea of G-d. However, the store I work at is owned by a company with the name Christian _____, so, I get the feeling if I said that, I'd have three seconds to get out of the store or be fired. Wait a minute, that's not a bad idea.
                        "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
                          The only trick is to get everyone to take the same day off.
                          That would be the challenge. For my own church, like most Christian denominations I'm aware of, Sunday would be the day to pick, but for a Jew or Seventh-Day Adventist, it would be Saturday. I'm not qualified to speak for any other faith.
                          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I am of Jewish descent, but my choice for the day off for everyone would be Sunday.

Not because of any Christian thing. That is not my religion.

My religion is Footballism. And I worship every Sunday in the fall, at the Almighty Church of the Sports Bar.

Wait, if everyone had off on Sunday, that would mean that sports bars would be.....

MONDAY! Let's work out this thing for MONDAYS, or even TUESDAYS off. Traditionally the slowest days for retail/food service anyway. Yeah, yeah, that would work.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                            Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth IhateCrappyTire View Post
                              That's what I said to the last guy who asked me if I had found Jesus or something... for some reason he didn't talk to me for the rest of the bus ride
                              I usually tell people who ask me that to check the Synagogue.... Or just roll my eyes and ask if they lost him again.

Comment

Working...
                              X